BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default Why are devastators so cheap $$$

I've been checking ebay on this, and wondering why Devastators are so inexpensive? You can pick up a full squad of 5 weapons (any config) for around $15. Build or unbuilt, metal or plastic. Unopened boxes are going for $26 of course, but a loose squad is dirt cheap these days.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Not htat I need any, I was trying to see how much I could get for my 50 devastators should I decide to unload them. (or is that just it....there are so many out there no one cares)

John M>

As of right now, Devastators themselves are not a quality unit choice except in a BA gunline (the BA gunline itself is on the IUCN List of Mythlogical Species, right next to the Australian Striped Unicorn), and parts-wise, only 2 of the 10 weapons in the box (Multi-meltas) are regularly going to make their way into a Tac squad. Anybody stuck with a bunch of these is likely trying to get rid of em for whatever they can get back.

Personally, I think 1 box of Devastators is a good buy for anyone starting up vanilla Marines, just for all the tasty extra bits. For example, they get imo the coolest power fist of any of the vanilla sprues (the "hey, you!" pointing one), plus servo-skulls and other nifty things.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Veteran-Sergeant

the only space marine faction taking them really are space wolves as long fangs, usually vanilla and other marines are better off using other heavy support units.

Quote Originally Posted by G00dySmiley View Post
    the only space marine faction taking them really are space wolves as long fangs, usually vanilla and other marines are better off using other heavy support units.
    So you're saying I'm making a mistake including them in my DA force? What should I be taking instead? Another pred or a whirlwind maybe?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    So you're saying I'm making a mistake including them in my DA force? What should I be taking instead? Another pred or a whirlwind maybe?
    they are better in dark angels than venilla marines, costing 70 instead of 90 is pretty big. heavy bolters and multimeltas are also cheaper by 5 pointss and missiles are worth it. lascannons drop 15 points vs vanilla to so comparitivly they are great

to put in perspective 4 lascannons in vanilla marines 5 man squad is 230 vs dark angels is 150, heck the cost os adding a librarian with divination to is is 215 so for further perspective oyu see in the vanilla dex they were just overcosted for wha tthey do, in dark angels i think they are better, but long fangs even beat that with their splitfire ability

a single devistator squad with a divination librarian on an adl with quadgun isn't bad for dark angels if it meshes well with your list, but you are right it competes with predators, and vindicators.

Quote Originally Posted by G00dySmiley View Post
    they are better in dark angels than venilla marines, costing 70 instead of 90 is pretty big. heavy bolters and multimeltas are also cheaper by 5 pointss and missiles are worth it. lascannons drop 15 points vs vanilla to so comparitivly they are great

to put in perspective 4 lascannons in vanilla marines 5 man squad is 230 vs dark angels is 150, heck the cost os adding a librarian with divination to is is 215 so for further perspective oyu see in the vanilla dex they were just overcosted for wha tthey do, in dark angels i think they are better, but long fangs even beat that with their splitfire ability

a single devistator squad with a divination librarian on an adl with quadgun isn't bad for dark angels if it meshes well with your list, but you are right it competes with predators, and vindicators.
    Assuming one is going with a dev. squad, what would you say is a good configuration? I've been liking mostly plasmas with a librarian but I also like the las cannons...haven't tried out the multi-melta much though

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    Assuming one is going with a dev. squad, what would you say is a good configuration? I've been liking mostly plasmas with a librarian but I also like the las cannons...haven't tried out the multi-melta much though
    that is way to complicated of a question to answer with a definite this beats this.

in any list you need to see what you have and try to work from there to balance. if you lack troop then plasma canons are probably not a bad idea. have nothign to deal with high armor? 4 multimelta devs in a drop pod will likely pop any vehicle out there but will not last long after they do. lascannon devistators will also last a while behind a aegis line, sarg on the quadgun and if you can get them librarian support you will have a good fireplatform with durrability.
    really depends on what your list lacks as to what you would want to outfit devs with. I will sometimes take them as allies and stick them next to my eldar as an antichaos coalition (usually with reapers behind an adl lascannon x4 with librarian, 2ish bodies up front with bolters to catch bulle tsthen 2 tac squads with 5 men each with multimelta and a drop pod each for troops to drop in where needed, pop something or hold something and added high power firepower (eldar pay out the nose for it but can take some badass midpower fire for super cheap, so they comliment eachother well)

Veteran-Sergeant

i really like my BA devs, 10 guys in combat squads, one squad has 3 ML, one squad with sarge has a LC for that nice, sniping BS5 light to medium tank popping action.