BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by troglodytesrus View Post
    To be blunt -

Anyone who doesn't paint their army is doing Warhammer wrong.

Never played a single game without a fully painted army. Never played a single game against a non-fully painted army.
    Hard to tell whether that was a light hearted comment or deliberate trolling. I'm going to assume the former as obviously there is no 'right way' to play Warhammer.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Hard to tell whether that was a light hearted comment or deliberate trolling. I'm going to assume the former as obviously there is no 'right way' to play Warhammer.
    When I worked for GW, part of the training regimen was about identifying what aspects of the hobby a customer was into, and making sure you spoke with the customer in the terms that interested them. There were three aspects as far as the training was concerned, collecting, painting, and playing. Everyone in theory had to be into at least one of those, most are interested in two. If someone came in who was into collecting and painting, you could talk to them about how great a Wave Serpent is in the game now, but they won't care if they aren't interested in painting it, and they probably aren't interested in constructing a valid army list either. Anyway, my point was that at the time of my training, GW effectively considered those three alone, and any combination thereof, to be ways of doing it right. We were to encourage the others, but ultimately help the customer get the aspects out of it that they wanted.

Chapter-Master

My lizardmen are pitifully unpainted. They're all primed, buy only one Skink, one Saurus on foot, and one Saurus on a cold one are actually painted. It's pretty sad. I need to do something about that.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Heh, it was actually meant boringly seriously :P

I have played since age 9 and always painted my units. To me the hobby comes as an entire whole, I build my models, I paint them, I play with them. Playing with my models has always been the 3rd step on the ladder and only comes after the first 2 stages are complete.

Admittedly I've stayed away from the more 'hard-core' end of the hobby pool, not done tournaments and mainly played with my group of friends but I still just strongly feel that playing Warhammer with unpainted models is missing a LARGE part of the hobby; in other words, doing it 'wrong'.

Battle-Brother

2500 pts Vampire Counts. 10000 pts Dark Elves. 4000 pts Skaven. Complete painted.
    Nippon in planing.
    Adeptus Mechanicus WIP.
    And a little braindamadge from the Skaven!
    The machine knows all. Praise the Omnissiah!
    WFB: Dark elves, Skaven Clan Mors, Nippon. HH and 40k: Adeptus Mechanicus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankhalagon View Post
    2500 pts Vampire Counts. 10000 pts Dark Elves. 4000 pts Skaven. Complete painted.
    Nippon in planing.
    Adeptus Mechanicus WIP.
    And a little braindamadge from the Skaven!
    Nice!

My warhammer ADD keeps taking my focus away from a single army before I can build up a nice 4,000 point army.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by troglodytesrus View Post
    Heh, it was actually meant boringly seriously :P

I have played since age 9 and always painted my units. To me the hobby comes as an entire whole, I build my models, I paint them, I play with them. Playing with my models has always been the 3rd step on the ladder and only comes after the first 2 stages are complete.

Admittedly I've stayed away from the more 'hard-core' end of the hobby pool, not done tournaments and mainly played with my group of friends but I still just strongly feel that playing Warhammer with unpainted models is missing a LARGE part of the hobby; in other words, doing it 'wrong'.
    It may be missing a part of the hobby, but saying that is 'doing it wrong' is rather arrogant and narrow minded. There are a number of people who buy and paint models but never play with them. Equally, there are people like me who don't have fully painted armies (because I don't have time to do so) but still want to be able to play with them. GW encourages all aspects of the hobby and doesn't look down on anyone who only engages in certain aspects, so I fail to see why should. If you feel all your models should be painted before they hit the table top, then more power to you, but please don't go around telling those of us who do it differently that we are 'doing it wrong'.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12