BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1750 pts Eldar

Default 1750 pts Eldar

Hey everyone, I'm really considering going to the Las Vegas open that was just posted on the front page. This would be my first tournament but since I have family to stay with this would probably be perfect. Anyways decided to put together a list to start working towards as far as purchases and such and would like some opinions on it:

[code]
    +++ Vegas Eldar (1750pts) +++
    +++ 1750pt Codex: Eldar 6th Edition (2013) Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Codex: Eldar 6th Edition (2013) (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ (No Category) +

* Warlocks (Codex: Eldar (2013) p29)
    (--Must Be Primary Detachment--, Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Psychic Discipline: Runes of Battle, Psyker (Mastery Level 1), Rune Armor)
    * Warlock
    Witchblade
    * Eldar Jetbike (Codex: Eldar (2013) p66)
    (*)
    Twin-linked shuriken catapult

+ HQ +

* Autarch (Codex: Eldar (2013) p27)
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Forceshield, Independent Character, Path of Strategy)
    Avenger shuriken catapult, Haywire grenades, Plasma grenades, Shuriken pistol

* Farseer
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Ghosthelm, Independent Character, Psychic Disciplines: Divination, Runes of Fate, Telepathy, Psyker (Mastery Level 3), Rune Armour)
    Singing spear

+ Troops +

* Dire Avengers (Codex: Eldar (2013) p31)
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Counter-attack, Fleet)
    9x Dire Avenger
    * Wave Serpent
    Holo-fields (*), Serpent Field, Shuriken cannon, Twin-linked scatter lasers

* Dire Avengers (Codex: Eldar (2013) p31)
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Counter-attack, Fleet)
    9x Dire Avenger
    * Wave Serpent
    Holo-fields (*), Serpent Field, Shuriken cannon, Twin-linked scatter lasers

* Rangers
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Stealth)
    5x Ranger

* Windrider Jetbike Squadron
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Eldar Jetbike)
    3x Guardian Jetbike, Shuriken Cannons, Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapult

+ Fast Attack +

* Crimson Hunter
    (Skyhunter, Vector Dancer)
    Exarch (Perfect Strike), Pulse Laser

* Warp Spiders
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Hit & Run, Warp Jump Generator)
    5x Warp Spider
    * Exarch
    Fast Shot (*), Spinneret rifle

+ Heavy Support +

* Fire Prism
    Prism cannon, Twin-linked shuriken catapults

* War Walker Squadron
    (Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Power Field, Scouts)
    * War Walker
    Brightlance, Scatter laser
    * War Walker
    Brightlance, Scatter laser

* Wraithknight
    (Ancient Doom, Fearless)
    Scatter laser, Suncannon and Scattershield (Scattershield )

Selection Rule Summary:

* --Must Be Primary Detachment--
    * Ancient Doom (Codex: Eldar (2013) p25)
    * Battle Focus (Codex: Eldar (2013) p25)
    * Counter-attack (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p35)
    * Eldar Jetbike (Codex: Eldar (2013) p66)
    * Fast Shot (Codex: Eldar (2013) p30)
    * Fearless (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p35)
    * Fleet (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p35)
    * Forceshield (Codex: Eldar (2013) p66)
    * Ghosthelm
    * Hit & Run (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p38)
    * Holo-fields (Codex: Eldar (2013) p67)
    * Independent Character
    * Infiltrate (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p38)
    * Move Through Cover (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p40)
    * Path of Strategy (Codex: Eldar (2013) p27)
    * Perfect Strike (Codex: Eldar (2013) p39)
    * Power Field (Codex: Eldar (2013) p67)
    * Psychic Discipline: Runes of Battle (Codex: Eldar (2013) p70)
    * Psychic Disciplines: Divination, Runes of Fate, Telepathy
    * Psyker (Mastery Level 1)
    * Psyker (Mastery Level 3)
    * Rune Armor (Codex: Eldar (2013) p65)
    * Rune Armour
    * Scattershield (Codex: Eldar (2013) p66)
    * Scouts (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p41)
    * Skyhunter (Codex: Eldar (2013) p39)
    * Stealth (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p42)
    * Vector Dancer (Warhammer 40K Rulebook p43)
    * Warp Jump Generator (Codex: Eldar (2013) p67)
    [/code]
    Created with [url=http://www.battlescribe.net]BattleScribe[/url]

Anyways I'm open to changing most things but the Wraithknight I really want to keep (spent $115 on the damn thing so I'm using it). Also the crimson hunter is an anniversary present from my wife (awesome I know) so I would prefer to keep that as well. Not sure if only one HQ is a good idea or not. The guardians are there mostly to be objective sitters along with the rangers. Really not sure with the war walkers' configs, I feel like I could use the extra AV that the BLs give but was considering trying to fit in a missile launcher, although TBH I should probably just go with double SLs. Everything else is probably pretty obvious. Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by Stone Edwards; 07-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Only gripe I have is that you have a very mobile army in almost every slot save the guardians and rangers. I can certainly see the benefit in a cheap objective camper, but i would say to drop the guardians and just use the small ranger unit for it. They are such a small unit they will likely be ignored. Have them some distance off the objective to start and they are less likely to be targeted, then just walk on over endgame. An option to swap for the guardians is some jetbikes. I would say take a small unit of them, throw the farseer on a bike, then have them sit at the back with the seer casting powers, as he would be unable to inside a wave serpent (assuming that's where he is). Otherwise looks pretty solid.

Oh and I would either keep the BL SL combo, or just go dual BL. You are a little light on anti heavy armor and you have a pretty good amount of anti infantry, so you could afford to lose the SL.

second Bluepowerade's suggestions. The Guardians probably won't perform well as the only footlslogging unit in your list (excepting the stationary Rangers), so those points could probably be better spent beefing up the Rangers or on Jetbikes. I would also recommend swapping the Walker weapons to either two scatter lasers (or maybe scatter/shuricannon so one weapon will actually benefit from laser lock), or two lances. Everyone seems to have gone nuts over the idea of twin-linking your solitary bright lance, nevermind that anything you'd want to shoot your Lance at the Scatter Laser will probably bounce off, and you could just take two bright lances for the same points.

Otherwise, I think everything looks solid. The Crimson Hunter is one you might play a few trial games with and see, I like it's killing power, but against the wrong army it's so easily destroyed, and you don't have an Autarch to play with Reserves rolls in order to protect it.

Veteran-Sergeant

I've had a lot of success with a Farseer on a Jetbike with the mantle of the laughing God. Just be careful when playing Tau!
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

Well thanks for the replies everyone. Didn't realize just how mobile was list was until you all pointed it out (originally I wanted to do an Alaitoc list!) but hey that's how it goes. I don't know why I didn't think of the jet bikes though as that was a unit I had been planning on getting anyways so I think I'm definitely putting bikes in in place of the guardians. From looking at points I could take 3 regular bikes and 1 warlock or about 5 regular bikes, I'm leaning towards the warlock as that jink save with shrouded would just be insane but who knows.

I feel like going SL/BL is the way to go though. As was mentioned SL/SL means I can't use laser lock and I want that AV weapon. Don't wanna do BL/BL as I feel like one would miss enough that I should have just gone with the SL anyways and with the SL each walker is a threat to more types of units.

Also that's true with the CH as I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet so I will see, the Autarch thing is interesting though as I could probably find the points to throw one into the list. Again will have to see but at least it sounds like the base list is fairly solid.

Thanks everyone!

Oh has anyone even tried missiles on war walkers? They are damn expensive but being able to twin link a blast pinning weapon seems like it would be pretty nice, also the flakk option sounds good as well.

If you go the jetbike route, I would suggest trying to fit in the Shuriken cannon, as the added long range firepower really helps. I would also suggest starting them in reserves, as a small unit like that takes little firepower to knock off the board, even with shrouded. The unit will be too small to really put out a lot of damage so is best off in reserves/sitting back at cannon range to avoid firepower and grab an objective endgame.

On that point, it would be another unit in reserves that an autarch could help come in at exactly the right time. Enemy have lots of ignore cover? Let's keep them in reserve for now. Lots of infantry close to your board edge? Lets tear them up with some bladestorming shuriken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    I feel like going SL/BL is the way to go though. As was mentioned SL/SL means I can't use laser lock and I want that AV weapon. Don't wanna do BL/BL as I feel like one would miss enough that I should have just gone with the SL anyways and with the SL each walker is a threat to more types of units.
    That's rather silly though--if you miss with one Bright Lance you've still hit with the other one, which is all you could possibly do with the SL/BL combo. Your chances of missing with two BL is the same as missing with one twin-linked BL, about 1 in 9. The only thing you're accomplishing is halving your potential damage against the sort of vehicles you'd want to shoot a Lance at.

Oh has anyone even tried missiles on war walkers? They are damn expensive but being able to twin link a blast pinning weapon seems like it would be pretty nice, also the flakk option sounds good as well.
    As is I can't bring myself to pay out that many points for an EML. It would play fairly well with a Scatter Laser, I suppose you'd need to play test it to determine if it's worth the points compared to two scatter lasers, or some other combination like scatter laser star cannon (one that might be my new favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    That's rather silly though--if you miss with one Bright Lance you've still hit with the other one, which is all you could possibly do with the SL/BL combo. Your chances of missing with two BL is the same as missing with one twin-linked BL, about 1 in 9. The only thing you're accomplishing is halving your potential damage against the sort of vehicles you'd want to shoot a Lance at.

As is I can't bring myself to pay out that many points for an EML. It would play fairly well with a Scatter Laser, I suppose you'd need to play test it to determine if it's worth the points compared to two scatter lasers, or some other combination like scatter laser star cannon (one that might be my new favorite).
    Well that;s what I'm saying though, just as likely to miss with 2 BLs as with SL/BL but with SL/BL if I kill all the vehicles/MCs or if the opponent doesn't have anything those SLs will be more of a threat to the remaining infantry than a BL.

Also yeah gonna play test with the EMLs but I'm thinking they are too expensive. Anyways updating the original list with the updated one. Was considering putting the Autarch on a bike or giving him a warp generator but thinking I need him to be nice and safe in a transport to make sure I get the reserve modifier.

i know a lot of ppl like them ... but even with newdar being bs4 ... imo.. i think 10 pts for a shurkannon is too much on a wave serpent ... and far too much for wasting on a gjb..- unless you have a maxed out unit with a decent leadership figure...
    gjb are objective stealers and can keep reasonably safe by turbo -boosting and reserving, pretty 'pointless' spending points on a weapon they will rarely get a safe opportunity to use...

now if they could have had an option to take a scatter laser ... that would be nice ...

with ref to autarch i am having some success with him on a bike carrying a fusion gun and laser lance ... with or without mantle ... as emergency tank hunter... once he has done his job as 'reserve commander' the bike at least makes him T4 and he can still 'hide' in a unit if not using mantle...

Is anyone using harlequins? I have a squad with a shadowseer, death jester and maugan ra. Is this a good combo I'm kind of an Eldar noob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast