BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Dark Heresy 2.0 Beta Rules!

[url]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4265[/url]

Fantasy Flight have announced version 2.0 for Dark Heresy!

I'm a big fan of DH1, so eagerly paid my £13 for beta rules

Wow

Its the same but not at all. A lot of changes.

Also FF are probably glad they released it as a beta. The feedback on the feedback forum is largely negative.

Anyone one else downloaded? Thoughts?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

No but I'm glad I saw this, as was considering getting it, so I'll wait for v2.0.

btw you seen the dark heresy roleplay on youtube featuring TB?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Aye, i've been watchign that. Reminds me a lot of our group

Chapter-Master

sounds awesome, btw your inbox is full.

Chapter-Master

Summing up how bad these rules seem someone on the FF forums has pointed out

Cloth robes, like priest robes are Armour 3 in the chest. A bolter has a pen value....of 2. So a bolter can't even penetrate the intense armour that is a cloth robe.

A melta gun, power weapon or plasma gun is only Pen 3!

Chapter-Master

oh dear, someone dropped the ball there...

Chapter-Master

They've massivly expanded vehicles so you can do vehicle driving and combat

A Chimera is rarity of -70 and has armour 16 front and sides, and 10 at back

A standard civilian car is rarity -10 and is Armour 30 in the front.

A motorbike is AV10 all round

So a Chimera, first choice for guardsmen is half the armour of a civvy car, and the same rear armour as a motorbike....

Apparently the vehicle stats was a mistake in the beta rules that is being fixed.

Personally my group are enjoying the new rules, character creation has a lot of good options and is more flexible, the skill system is presented more clearly (plus finally opposed dodge tests) and there are expanded investigation rules which is a big bonus for a game where it's a big part of every adventure.

My only concern at the moment is some of the combat stuff, although some people on the FFG forums are doing some good mathhammering showing that it's actually pretty balanced. I think the main thing seems to be the disconnect between the internal balance and what you'd expect stuff to do from the fluff, which hopefully they can sort out.

Reading over the combat, it's really kinda bitzy - how the action points are used with each weapon's rate of attack/fire, the new wounds system, etc. I've read it three times & can't wrap my brain around it. It seems they've made character creation easier but actual combat resolution much more difficult in trying to make it 'balanced'. I'll make some characters & see how it runs but so far i think they strayed too far off the path that other games were going. I saw DH 2.0 being a collection of all the improvements/changes that were made with the other three 40K RPGs. Personally, I thought that DH 2.0 was really going to be generic 40K RPG that could be applied to all four settings. Make things obsolete is a bad thing - improving is good.

I really liked the new rules. I did some comparison combats under each system and it played much better. There were some significant errors in the original PDF - all the weapon and armour values were redone and it works pretty well now. You need to check the updates to get a real feel for it.

Unfortunately there was a lot of edition griping and FFG have just announced that they're making it backwards compatible with Only War. Educated guess it's going to be Only War with new character types and investigation mechanics bolted in.

FFG have just killed my interest in the new edition. They had a really nice system with a clean slate, and once again the loud and negative have got their way. Half the complaints were variants on "I don't want change". And given the number of arguments I had over there about things where the critic plainly hadn't understood the rule or demonstrably hadn't even played the new rules I'm less than impressed with the reversal. They also now have a couple of months to rush together what will essentially be an Only War clone with a few extra narrative rules.

There are always complaints. That doesn't mean that the complainers know better than the professional game developers.

I played the new beta in detail. It worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast