BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Chapter-Master

Default Dark Heresy 2.0 Beta Rules!

[url]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4265[/url]

Fantasy Flight have announced version 2.0 for Dark Heresy!

I'm a big fan of DH1, so eagerly paid my £13 for beta rules

Wow

Its the same but not at all. A lot of changes.

Also FF are probably glad they released it as a beta. The feedback on the feedback forum is largely negative.

Anyone one else downloaded? Thoughts?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

No but I'm glad I saw this, as was considering getting it, so I'll wait for v2.0.

btw you seen the dark heresy roleplay on youtube featuring TB?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Aye, i've been watchign that. Reminds me a lot of our group

Chapter-Master

sounds awesome, btw your inbox is full.

Chapter-Master

Summing up how bad these rules seem someone on the FF forums has pointed out

Cloth robes, like priest robes are Armour 3 in the chest. A bolter has a pen value....of 2. So a bolter can't even penetrate the intense armour that is a cloth robe.

A melta gun, power weapon or plasma gun is only Pen 3!

Chapter-Master

oh dear, someone dropped the ball there...

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    I'm a big fan of DH1, so eagerly paid my £13 for beta rules....

...Also FF are probably glad they released it as a beta. The feedback on the feedback forum is largely negative
    You wasted £13 on a beta set of rules, which are by your own defenition are broken?

Are you insane?

Now I remember why I like Paizo more then any other RPG game company, at least their playtest rules where free to download, and looked damned good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    You wasted £13 on a beta set of rules, which are by your own defenition are broken?

Are you insane?

Now I remember why I like Paizo more then any other RPG game company, at least their playtest rules where free to download, and looked damned good too!
    It's not wasted money if you expect the final game to be worth purchasing. The payment for the Beta counts for the payment for the final product as well. When it's finally released you get they'll send you your coupon for the release version. At least check your facts before calling someone insane.

Though of course the principle works on one guessing that the final will be to your liking, so it's a gamble. Unfortunately in my case (I bought also), what was an extremely promising beta has been gutted in response to an outpouring of criticism from those who want it to be the same as the existing system. Passing into outright vitriol in many cases, in fact. I'm in pretty much in agreement with navi here - it's a tragic missed opportunity, imo. I REALLY liked the original beta. I actually created sample characters at first and fifth rank and ran test combats and believe me - the new approach was a lot faster and more fluid. Gorgeous in comparison. FFG, imo, made the mistake of listening to the loudest. They through away huge chunks of their work and have something that is effectively Only War with an investigation system bolted on the side. They should have stuck to their guns.

First-Captain

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by knas ser View Post
    It's not wasted money if you expect the final game to be worth purchasing. The payment for the Beta counts for the payment for the final product as well. When it's finally released you get they'll send you your coupon for the release version. At least check your facts before calling someone insane.
    Sorry, I didn't know of their coupon deal, I don't use their site or own any of their products, I was only going by companies methods of BETA'ing that I HAVE used and know of, like Paizo, so once again sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, it was meant in a jokey sort of way, perhaps I should have used a smiley face at the end of that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know of their coupon deal, I don't use their site or own any of their products, I was only going by companies methods of BETA'ing that I HAVE used and know of, like Paizo, so once again sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, it was meant in a jokey sort of way, perhaps I should have used a smiley face at the end of that statement.
    No worries. Sorry if I came across as shouty.