Quote Originally Posted by darklament View Post
Reading over the combat, it's really kinda bitzy - how the action points are used with each weapon's rate of attack/fire, the new wounds system, etc. I've read it three times & can't wrap my brain around it. It seems they've made character creation easier but actual combat resolution much more difficult in trying to make it 'balanced'. I'll make some characters & see how it runs but so far i think they strayed too far off the path that other games were going. I saw DH 2.0 being a collection of all the improvements/changes that were made with the other three 40K RPGs. Personally, I thought that DH 2.0 was really going to be generic 40K RPG that could be applied to all four settings. Make things obsolete is a bad thing - improving is good.
The action points worked well in practice and once you got your head around them, they were simple to use. They also brought a lot more realism and flexibility to the game. With AP I saw characters moving around a lot more seeking out tactical advantages through position.

The relationship between AP and rate of fire was pretty straightforward. You just multiply. Got a weapon with a RoF of 2? Spent two AP firing it at someone? That's four bullets. Got a weapon with a RoF of 1/2? (less common actually - tends to be just the big ones or sniper rifles). Then you need 4AP to get just two bullets off.

Everyone gets 4AP.

It let you put a lot more granularity into the game at no cost in extra tracking. You get shot at - want to Evade? Sure, that'll be 1AP, please. You spent them all firing everything you've got at people? Well, that'll learn you to keep some back next character. Better than juggling full and half-actions all the time, imo.

The fact that you could fine tune the AP was what led to my seeing much mire fluid combat as people would spend a little bit on movement and a little on firing or evading. You didn't have to keep track so much what someone had done - you just looked at if they had any AP left. I really liked it in practice. Combats usually went by more quickly in my tests. In a good way.