BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default I hate wave serpents

And I'm the one thats using them!

They're way too good as a static firing platform. My eldar armies have become slow and plodding instead of lightning fast like they used to be. The wave serpent offensive firepower makes it really difficult to make it zoom up flanks, or do drive by Dire Avenger attacks or basically anything having to do with mobility.

No.

It sits in its own deployment zone, trying to stay away from close combat, while moving 6" and firing everything like it was a stupid IG tank. It hate it. I'm thinking of imposing a boycott on them and not using them since they're the internet unit-de-jour anyways but I really hate how they've turned my exciting, mobile armies into static gunlines.

/Rant over

Does anyone else find themselves doing this now?
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

You can always just opt to not fire the shield, and stick to the turret and maybe shuricannon.

Behold the Eldar player. Whining over not having to think while playing a thinking army. I love the serpents. I shoot down flyers and AV12 and below but you do have a point. I no longer have to zoom about so much all thanks to the holo field. Back in 5th ed, it was flat out or die most of the time. You can always drop the tanks and take out the Harlequins and Wraithlord.

So we've now got more choice as to how we use our Eldar miniatures?

That must be terrible.

Chapter-Master

I use mine as fast.

My army runs around 2 Serpents with 5 Sycthe Wraithgaurd each. First turn they're in the opponents deployment.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    And I'm the one thats using them!

They're way too good as a static firing platform. My eldar armies have become slow and plodding instead of lightning fast like they used to be. The wave serpent offensive firepower makes it really difficult to make it zoom up flanks, or do drive by Dire Avenger attacks or basically anything having to do with mobility.

No.

It sits in its own deployment zone, trying to stay away from close combat, while moving 6" and firing everything like it was a stupid IG tank. It hate it. I'm thinking of imposing a boycott on them and not using them since they're the internet unit-de-jour anyways but I really hate how they've turned my exciting, mobile armies into static gunlines.

/Rant over

Does anyone else find themselves doing this now?

I lined up 5 Wave Serpents, Fire Prism, 2 Vypers, and 50 Guardians in a, 1850 tournament recently and crushed everyone I faced. The first match I was like, "ooh yeah I'm going to drop 50 Guardians off in people's faces then hose them with vehicles fire!" That worked *okay* but most of my Guardians died to Space Marine assaults and bolter fire... and the stuff that stayed back did the most damage. I still won by a pretty good margin (puppet mastering Land Raiders FTW) but it was competitive.

The second match I intended to do the same thing but found myself just sitting back and annihilating an Ork Green Tide rush with everything moved back to my baseline. The Guardians never really needed to disembark except for one unit.

The third match I said screw it and deployed with all five Guardian units disembarked in cover and shot Blood Angels off the map. It was pretty much over by turn two.

I'm actually on hiatus from running Wave Serpents at all right now, trying new things. In competitive tournaments, yes I'm likely to use them to stand and shoot a lot if I'm trying to get first place but otherwise I'll run them as transports because that's more fun. Part of me is wondering if they're going to FAQ Serpent Shields to call them "not a gun", as they're not subject to weapon destroyed results and therefore cannot be twin-linked by a scatter laser lock.

Most recently I tried a 70-Guardian (w/conceal-locks) with Avatar foot rush backed by 9x Vibrocannons, Rangers, counter-assaulting Scorpions, 6x Hawks, and a few other things. Let me tell you, three 20-man Guardian squads with dual platforms and Warlock is absolutely vicious.

Brother-Captain

I generally fly them around for the first couple of turns picking things off with their guns, then bring them forward to unload the squads inside to do their jobs and carry on from there. I think that's pretty much what they should be doing.

I don't know why you would be moving them 6" rather than 12" though. The mobility is great.

First-Captain

Hmm. I faced serpent heavy list 3x now and destroyed it with my Tau. However my Tau have more long range than a normal Tau army. Anyway the sit back and shoot didn't work since I did it better, turning of the shields one player learned is a bad mistake. I have enough anti-tank to glance death 3-4 wave serpents a turn within 36", and I can glance death an average of 2 aturn within 72".

However I did drop a rail gun, but I picked up some deep striking suits to help deal with crap like serpents. Anyway one player tried to do the get in my face tactic and it worked rather badly for him. Basically I stripped all cover and poped a huge portion of his tanks. Everyone else experance a lot of triple rapid fire shooting that erased the meat. Just want to point out suits are strength 5 and your rear armour is 10. If you assault that's fine since you will be overwatched to death.

The best tactic I seen so far is to pretty much play hit and run tactics. I think standrad troop armies with a lot of vehicles would struggle against the serpent spam, but armies with lots of armour and little or no vehicles with MCs really don't have a hard time with serpent spam, especially if they are used to dealing with barge spam.

Chaplain

Can someone name one army that can't be a static gun line?

Quote Originally Posted by jgebi View Post
    Can someone name one army that can't be a static gun line?
    Like at all or a good one?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast