BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Teenage boys* who sit there staring at my chest for the whole game, and then accuse me of using feminine wiles to win (it's not like I wear low cut tops).
    Teenage boys* who ask me if I paint naked.
    Teenage boys* who tell me if I lose I have to take my top off.
    Grown men who try and pick me up at any point during an event.
    Anyone who sits there chewing food with their mouth open and spraying bits of food all over my army.
    Anyone who assumes I am there because my boyfriend (which I don't have) is there. I admit I got into the hobby through my brothers but I've had an army of my own since I was 8.
    People who assume I can't play well because I'm a girl.
    People who assume I can't play well because I'm a girl and then accuse me of cheating when I beat them.

I was once accused of being bad because towards the end of a really tense campaign game I made a lucky save which ended up winning the game for me. All I did was give a little laugh of pure relief, and the player took it that I was laughing at him.

Re actual bad players, as in losing a lot, there is this one chap in my group who for years simply could not win. I don't know if anyone remembers but in Gorkamorka you have to win a battle to be able to upgrade your orks or some such, anyway after two weeks of this campaign and 8 battles he still had not one, I ended up throwing a game against him out of pity. Thankfully one of the really experienced players took him under his wing and gave him a bunch off friendly matches without people watching so teach him how to play better. He still loses 90% of his matches but he does pose a challenge now. He is incredibly sweet about it too, never any bitterness.

*Most of the male teenage players have been fine, there are just afew which stand out.

LOL, My wife sometime asks me if I want anything in town, and I'll say can you pop into GW and pick me up some spray/paint/stuff, she'll then say "Oh no I hate going in there!" Apparently they all but point at her with their chins on the floor and say in a Neanderthal voice "Wooomannn UG! LMAO
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Yep, I've had that too. Walked into a store once and from a group of boys huddled in the corner heard "Oh my god its a girl!". I'm not complaining, its a male dominated hobby afterall, and most of the time its harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    LOL, My wife sometime asks me if I want anything in town, and I'll say can you pop into GW and pick me up some spray/paint/stuff, she'll then say "Oh no I hate going in there!" Apparently they all but point at her with their chins on the floor and say in a Neanderthal voice "Wooomannn UG! LMAO

Yep, I've had that too. Walked into a store once and from a group of boys huddled in the corner heard "Oh my god its a girl!". I'm not complaining, its a male dominated hobby afterall, and most of the time its harmless.
    Ive never understood why that is........ Especially when you take in the artistic and creative elements.

I for one would like to see more Girls/Women in the hobby, it'll certainly make a nice change from sitting across from smelly heavy metal Tshirt wearing boys who find it hard to string a coherent sentence together
    whilst blinking from the sunlight they rarely see because they rarely leave their bedrooms! lol
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Lewis View Post
    This, god, QFT.

Me and a friend went to our local store for an Apoc game once. By Freya's bosom, this one guy smelled like a damn open sewer. Every time he walked by was nauseating.

I mean, no offense to him, but c'mon. I know the hobby isn't the hippest thing on the planet and the GW store isn't a friggin club, but your in public for feth's sake.

THIS!!!

unfortunately i know many of these people, and the strange thing is, if you waved a hot lady at them (who would probably recoil in terror as her eyebrows melted off) they still wouldnt change.

i also cannot stand any gamer who cries-screams-shouts-gets really really frustrated. i mean, its a game, we are playing a game. i had one guy get soooo angry with me for blowing up his landraider (i guess he'd never pitted it against a vanquisher before) he went red in the face, was swearing like a drain, started punching the table making my troops jump about. i simply started to pack away, wandered over to some other guys, and chatted with them. what a total baby
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Teenage boys* who ask me if I paint naked.

Who doesn't?!?
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Chaplain

The worst for me are the ones who dont read the rulebook or the codex. I dont mean memorize it, but even read it. My brother is like this, and playing against him is a nightmare.

We both picked up 40K in early 3rd ed, and he took a break from it and is trying to pick it up again now in 5th ed, but he wont read the gentle caressing rulebook! So he constantly claims that rules are one way when they havn't been that was for a long time, and then gets angry when you look it up in the book... he's 26 but acts like a 12 year old if you dont trust his poor, poor calls.

And he routinely asks other people to make his army lists for him because he doesn't know whats "good" in his (space marine) codex.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    I for one would like to see more Girls/Women in the hobby, it'll certainly make a nice change from sitting across from smelly heavy metal Tshirt wearing boys who find it hard to string a coherent sentence together
    whilst blinking from the sunlight they rarely see because they rarely leave their bedrooms! lol

Amen That would be so awesome to play against a girl. It would add some variety. That and I have never met a female player, which makes me sad.
    "All power... demands sacrifice..." ~ Sindri Myr

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLord127 View Post
    Amen That would be so awesome to play against a girl. It would add some variety. That and I have never met a female player, which makes me sad.
    Not sure why the "GW hobby" doesn't have that many women in it. If seen them play all sorts of other games-when I LARPed it was about 50% female, D&D is about 25% around here, and at a Monsterpocalyse tourney last night had 1 woman player (out of 8 participants).

Sounds like time for a new forum thread on Woman players in the hobby...
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Veteran-Sergeant

Those holier than thou players annoy me.
    Sore losers and sore winners
    defeatists
    powergamers who play only to win
    gloaters who brag on an on about how amazing they are
    people who build the armies based on theory then complain when it fails.
    People who are not only easily distracted but also play massive horde armies at the same time.
    Just to name a few!

I admit I got into the hobby through my brothers but I've had an army of my own since I was 8.
    So, in 2 years or so my PINK SITH should be ready to start:

We'll see if she can handle SPACE HULK in a few weeks.

(hmm, that picture is over a year old. Better get her something else to practice those kindergarden skills on, like some spare grots.)
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast