BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Astartes weight and height

I've seen the diagram showing astartes height and weight in relation to average man, but the one I'm looking at puts an unarmored marine at 7'6 700 lbs. without armor. That can't be right. Does anyone know the actual height and weight of an unarmored marine? and also, as a side note, I've read in the Word Bearers series and also the first heretic that chaos marines begin to become one with thier armor, but in storm of iron, you have a veteran of the old war who can strip his armour at ease. Is this bonding to the armor unique to word bearers or all CSM? thanks for the info guys, just working on some more fan fiction because I love it and I can but I like to adhere to canon lest my droogs here in chattanooga catch me in some sort of heresy.
    Innocence Proves Nothing

Chaplain

I always thought armored they were like 9ft+ also the bonding comes down to the marine and the armor type

Chaplain

Marines comes in a variety of sizes just like people come in a variety of sizes. For example in the USA 95% of adult men are between 5'3" -6'3" (or if you prefer, 99.7% of men are between 5' - 6'6")
    Astartes will be the same. They are rarely described in hard figures, usually just called "giant". Sometimes they have been said to stand head and shoulders taller than men... but what sized man?
    The Black Library characterizations (especially the Horus Heresy) tend to describe them as huge, and possibly getting bigger with each iteration.

There used to exist a Jes Goodwin interview, in which he "...thinks of marines as 7' to 7'6" with a mass of four basketball players 'bolted together'. The only 'official' source I've ever heard for an Astartes is Captain Titus from the THQ Space marine. In the [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40-000-Marine-Official/dp/0307890236"]guide book[/URL] He is said to have been in service 150 years, and to stand 7'2" and weigh 750lbs.

If you want your marines larger, I'd say that's fine. If you want them shorter, that's fine. Compare 2 soldiers from two very different nations here on the earth and you could find wildly different heights. You may already have reviewed it, but the theories of Philip Sibbering (40k artist) are well thought out, and a fun read.

[url]http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-01-marine-morphology.shtml[/url]

Are you saying "that can't be right" because 600 lbs. seems like too much or too little?

As for the bonding, I don't think that's a Word Bearer thing, just a mutation thing.

Librarian

Space Marine details vary greatly among chapters, being a gene-seed issue, and/or among other environmental conditions. In the Ragnar (space wolves) Omnibus, Ragnar meets another space wolf who is the size of a Terminator even though he's in power armor. He also is able to wield a thunderhammer and a lizardman (by the tail) in his off-hand effectively. And then there are chapters who may have taken homage on more gravity intense worlds, or less. I think the recruitment planets would also instill some variables into this equation as well.

[url=http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pasanius_Lysane#.UfSP1Y2shmY]Sergeant Pasanius[/url] is also noted as being so large that his power armor had to incorporate bits of TDA. So size certainly can vary significantly even if you control for geneseed and recruitment world. In fact, Pasanius actually grew up with Uriel Ventris, so they have the same geneseed, come from the same recruitment world, come from the same specific part of that recruitment world, and come from the same socioeconomic class (and so likely had similar diets, childhood medical care, etc.), and they still have very different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    Space Marine details vary greatly among chapters, being a gene-seed issue, and/or among other environmental conditions. In the Ragnar (space wolves) Omnibus, Ragnar meets another space wolf who is the size of a Terminator even though he's in power armor. He also is able to wield a thunderhammer and a lizardman (by the tail) in his off-hand effectively. .
    Dont forget that Haegr is pretty much unique because of the flaw in the induction process. And i dont think the books said it was a thunderhammer, only that it was a hammer.

Iron Father

There is a book called "Deathwatch" by Steve Parker which came out this year. It follows the training program of the Deathwatch and describes in some detail the physical attributes of the Space Marines involved in the process. One character called "Omni" is described as being incredible short for a marine but also much much bigger in muscle mass and possible the strongest marine in the watch. Many of the marines are described as having various physical differences, they are just far more in the extreme than normal.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 07-28-2013 at 12:36 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Battle-Brother

A gorilla silverback of over 1.8 metres (5 ft 11 in) and 230 kg (510 lb) has been recorded in the wild. As The DNA of gorillas is highly similar to that of a human, from 95–99% depending on what is counted, and they are the next closest living relatives to humans after the bonobo and common chimpanzee.
    So with then chest size and musculature of a gorilla plus a foot of height, 600-700 pounds would seem nothing of note.

Especially since an Astartes' musculature is specifically noted as being denser than a regular human being's, and their bones are specifically noted as being reinforced with ceramics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast