BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Can flyers block an enemies movement?

Can enemy models move across a flyers base or within 1 inch?

Pg 80 has the relevant information. I believe that enemies are blocked my last opponent and on lookers think enemy models can move across the base.

Librarian

Nothing has ever been able to move across a models base and their movement cannot end with in 1' of said model they would have to go around it. so as long as you dont have models on either side of the flier then they can move past it but it wouldn't be in a straight line since its an oval base they would move in an elongated ) or ( . if you were flying in formation and had them on varying heights you could slide them next to each other and effectively cordon off a decent chunk of terrain. but i coudl see issues in movement.

Librarian

as far as i have seen it played, no enemy model may move within 1 inch of the flyer's base, therefore you could move the flyer into an assault blocking position.

I think page 80 is pretty clear that flyer bases do block (and can be blocked by) other models:

Models that physically fit under a Flyer model can move beneath it. Likewise, a Flyer can end its move over such models. However, when moving this way, enemy models must still remain 1" away from the base of the Flyer, and the Flyer cannot end its move with its base within 1" of other enemy models.

So the model itself only blocks things it physically gets in the way of (say, a Valkyrie wing that extends beyond the base might be able to block a super tall model like a wraithknight, but other models can move beneath the wing as long as they fit), but you still have to be able to place the base and the base still creates a 1" bubble through which no enemy models may move.

Librarian

Some enemy could not be blocked. Jrt bikers, Jump pack assault troops, etc. As per their own personal rules for movement and charging, these models simply ignore any intervening models or terrain, and jump over the base of the model in their way. Flyer or not. They could not assault the flyer, but could ignore that it is there when they attempt to assault the unit you want to protect with your fliers.

An example would be a Dark Eldar unit send their skimmers over terrain to deploy their troops who assault your unit. Another would be 3 squads of 15 Raptors assaulting the unit behind the flier/s, and ignoring that it is there. Providing they do not end up within 1" of its base. Yes they may have to take Dangerous terrain tests, but it stop a sneaky use of 40Ks poorly written rules.

I would have thought GW would have written it so that even an Enemy unit can move through the base of the flier in the movement phase, as long as they then do not end up within 1: of its base when they have finished their move. I suppose it was written like it was to stop people moving their minis and then realizing they could not get all the models 1" from the fliers base.

This tactic could be used against fliers as well. Unlikely, but it could be done. Just imagine a HUGE force of Orks, 40" deep with individual models spread out to 2" apart, and individual mobs of Orks set up so that a flier's base could not fit in, and that includes terrain where the Orks have the entire board practically covered.

They could in theory stop the flier from getting its minimum 18" move if it did not have enough room to fit the base in, in it own deployment zone. You might have your own forces packed in to every nook and cranny, and not have the room. You might be forced to crash the flier/s especially if you intend to use 3 of them to block the enemies movement. It might be fun to see the tactic used. I have a mate or 2 who have decent sized Necron armies. Between their jetbikes, and other units that could ignore the fliers, along with the massive amount of troops they would be using to shoot at your fliers (glancing on 6's), I would say goodbye to the fliers, and possibly first blood.

The Green tide, and the Crome tide could deny this tactic from working.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chapter-Master

All that stuff moves over enemy models anyways. So Flyers follow exactly the same rules for blocking enemy movement as any other model, just make sure you're only measuring from the base of the Flyer and not the Flyer model itself.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

I think I said exactly that. In fact I am sure I said that. There are units about that can move over anything, and as long as they do not finish their jump, jetbike, skimming move in area terrain, then the model, or within 1" of an enemy model, there is no problem,. If they jump into area terrain, then they take a dangerous terrain test. They would have to take one if they were going into the area terrain anyway, so no loss there.

As to other units, bikers have enough move to get around most fliers, and if you wanted to try to fit fliers next to each other (even if you cut/modified the flying bases so they could get closer), there wold still be gaps large enough in most cases to allow the bikers access between them.

The use of mass hordes to provide area denial against the flies and their minimum movement distance is still a valid point, but most armies will not be able to get that many models on the table. IG, Orks, Cultist heavy CSM and maybe Eldar or Tau armies could do it.

More and more armies have their own fliers now, or can get them via allies. valkyries and Vendettas are available to most armies because IG can be taken as allies by most codexes. Unfortunately some like Tyranids can only use their own flying MCs, but they still have access to those, and lots of jump troops, flanking units and deep striking units.

Although this might be an annoying trick to try and stop or slow an enemy advance, it makes your fliers prime target, that are in the enemies face, and not likely to be used more than once, as the fliers are brought down with mass fire power. Yes it takes the pressure and amount of firepower being dealt to your other units, but then the enemy then alters track, and takes care of the next biggest threats or your scoring units.

I would not rely on this as a major tactic for your games. It has too many holes in it.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Brother-Sergeant

Thank you everyone who replied.
    I do understand that certain units ignore other models. But in this case the unit in question was Orc boys and the flyer was placed on a bridge so going around it wasn't an option.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    I think I said exactly that. In fact I am sure I said that.
    I wasn't arguing with you, I was just pointing out that it took you like six paragraphs to say it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

Look in the FAQ. You can move through flying models as long as you do not end within 1" of the base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast