BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Power armor

Brother-Sergeant

Default Power armor

Are all these pictures of guys in power armor costumes home made outfits or is there a company or person out there who can make this stuff professionally? Links are appreciated. Where I live, Halloween is huge, city-wide block party etc, and there's a good half a dozen of my students dressing up like master chief and iron man. Wanna get a hold of some mk. IV, and do it up right.
    Innocence Proves Nothing

Most are home made. I think if anyone was producing this stuff for sale, they'd get sued by you know who. I've seen a pair of space marine costumes that were made for a video game company for convention appearances. The guys who wore them had to walk around on drywall stilts built inside the boots to make them tall enough. The video game company had a license to make 40k games.

A lot of the suits I've seen were probably made with "Pepakura". It's a system for printing out 2-D flat images that are then cut, folded, and glued to make a 3-D polygon object. Once you have the 3-D paper shell, you can cover it with something stronger (fiberglass is mentioned a lot). Then you sand it down to get rid the angles, and start building it up. Takes a lot of work, but produces amazing results.

You can download files for pepakura for just about anything, and they can be scaled up or down for a custom fit.

You can also check out this guy's site: [url]http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com/2012/05/warhammer-40000-space-marine-build-part_21.html[/url]

This guy has insane skills. He's made 40K space marines, the main character from dead space, and he's made Halo armor for himself and his entire crew of friends (8 total people I think, each suit in a different color). And no, I'm pretty sure he won't sell the space marines suits.

You could always make a slutty Commissar outfit... That's sure to turn heads.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Warptiger View Post
    ...I've seen a pair of space marine costumes that were made for a video game company for convention appearances. The guys who wore them had to walk around on drywall stilts built inside the boots to make them tall enough....
    Incorrect, they used 7ft tall actors for the suits which is why the Space Marines are skinny, as they were made to fit the actors.
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

When you see someone wearing any kind of sci-fi armor, it's usually a one off. If not made by the person wearing it, buy someone they know. The only real exception I know of are most of the Star Wars Stormtrooper suits. Apparently the guys in England who made them kept the vacuum form molds and from time to time will make very small runs (8-12 suits). That's how my brother got his suit. He also found someone with the mold for Darth Vaders shoulder plate. The helmets for both have had various official releases, but most cos-players will make necessary modifications (like cooling fans).

I would check with the RPF since they are dedicated to replicating all sorts of stuff from movies and TV. You might find some 40k stuff as well.

Brother-Sergeant

Rpf?
    Innocence Proves Nothing

Brother-Sergeant

Warp tiger, thanks so much for the link, that guy is crazy talented.
    Innocence Proves Nothing

Check out this cosplay necron!

[url]http://blog.spikeybits.com/2013/08/cosplay-necron-overlord.html[/url]
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Man we have silly hats!

Also...please...it's dressing up. Not Cosplay.

Be proud of your geekiness!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Lamenter View Post
    Rpf?
    Replica Props Forum - therpf.com

Those are the guys that build costumes and props from movies, tv shows, and even video games. Do a search on 40k and there are plenty of projects that people are working on.