BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aramel View Post
    I think we need to consider some fairly drastic changes to the Apoc rules though. Str D is much more powerful than it was before, and every Eldar super-heavy can have at least one.
    True enough, but that hasn't stopped The Warhound or Shadowsword from getting price reductions and or blast size buffs to go along with the improved D rules.

All our super-heavy tanks are fast, meaning they show up turn 2 (value depending on when your breaks are) That is a you can now cast psychic powers on super heavies (we have the best psychic buffs), and our holo-fields allow us to ignore half of all hits.
    The coming in from Reserves sooner is a perk I hadn't considered, but it's kind of marginal given the magnitude of the points increase and the nerfing of the gun. And as to psychic buffs, Imperials have access to Prescience too, so I fail to see that as a particularly Eldar-centric change. Really, given that Imperial super-heavy tanks tend to come packed with weapon sponsons, they benefit from it more than the Eldar vehicles that have generally two weapons tops.

Finally, for 1 victory point, you can bring back any one model under 15hp, which means thore revenants are not going anywhere. Overall I would say that Eldar are in a very strong position with the new Apoc rules, and that the cost increase might actually be reasonable.
    Once again, Imperials can do the exact same thing, with their Warhound titan which is almost 200pts cheaper, yet still quite equal to the Revenant all around.

Still, a Warhound doesn't have any protection from other D-weapons. So re-rolling saves ain't useful. I'm not sure that actually any psychic power would affect a Holo Field either, since it is not a save, it simply ignores penetrating (!) hits. No psychic power I know allows to re-roll a an ability that ignores a penetrating hit

Chapter-Master

You can't reroll holofields on Titans, as its not a save.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    You can't reroll holofields on Titans, as its not a save.
    Unless you house rule it to be what it should be, a 4+ save against everything, including D-weapons.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Since I play Apoc only in GW stores, not going to happen and maybe even incorrect bonus that GW never meant to be possible. You can house-rule everything, even your Cobra to have 10" and cost 400 points. Doesn't mean anything actually.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well sure imperials have psychers, but the Farseer Council formation is amazing. Forewarning/fortune/guide will be on all your titans. These are range 24" unlike Prescience.
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendarion View Post
    Still, a Warhound doesn't have any protection from other D-weapons.
    It has void shields, which admittedly can be stripped beforehand, but against a D-weapon hit it's a 100% protection. Regardless, having a greater degree of protection from D-weapons is really cold comfort when autocannons and missile launchers can still mess up your day in a way they can't against a Warhound with it's AV14/13. There's really no justification for Eldar super-heavies like the Revenant and Cobra to be so ludicrously more expensive than their different but rather equal Imperial counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramel View Post
    Well sure imperials have psychers, but the Farseer Council formation is amazing. Forewarning/fortune/guide will be on all your titans. These are range 24" unlike Prescience.
    Forewarning/Fortune isn't going to help against D-weapons, and you're really not addressing the core issue of the general superiority of Imperial super-heavies to their Eldar counter-parts. If you were to put 500pts of Divination psykers backing up a Warhound, it'd perform better too.

Veteran-Sergeant

Powers counterbalance low armour, holo-fields protect against strength D. You are correct that Eldar super-heavies are more vulnerable to lower str weapons than AV 14 imperial super heavies. This is trivial for 2 reasons:

a) Holo-fiels are applied to all hits, if they fail, you still get to take saves. With 6 Farseers you should be able to keep at least two Titans with a 4+ rerollable invulnerable save. Not to mention that you can stick them in a Raider (that you can make invisible) to be even more mobile. Can't exactly do that with the Imperials.
    b) We have so many lance and str 10 weapons, that we could care less about AV 14. Also void shields are a joke if you have volume of fire, such as a couple of wave serpents or reapers.

The main point is that Eldar super-heavies should be much more survivable than their Imperial counterparts, which should account for their higher cost.
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

How are you putting Farseers in a raider?

Even with blood brothers you cannot embark on the ally transports

A) Holo-fields aren't a save so the re-roll power doesn't help.

B) A unit should be costed for what it is, not what it could possibly be with another units help. The cost of the other unit should reflect how potent it's boost is.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast