BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 3rd Edition game with 1st edition and Deathwing Rules

Hello all!

I am trying to get a 3rd Edition Space Hulk game and after reading a bit it seems like the 1st edition rules with the deathwing rules expansion is the way to play.

I am wondering if I can play the 3rd edition board game release with the older rules. Is that possible? Are the dice the same? I realize I may have to purchase some figurines with the new guns and all but that is nothing compared to what an unopened 3rd edition box sells for! lol

I was also trying to pick up a copy of the deathwing expansion game (it aint cheap either!) hoping I could play those missions with the 3rd edition board release. Is that possible?

I would hate to spend the money if the expansion can not be played with the 3rd edition board/dice.

I played the old PC game back in the late 80's (maybe it was early 90's) and really enjoyed it. I see that a re-release of this is due out in a couple of weeks (which I pre-ordered and that got me to thinking that the board game would be nice to have. After looking at the various pictures on the web of the board game all set up I knew it was a must have!

So in summary, 1) Is it possible to play the deathwing expansion with 3rd edition board? and 2) will the old 1st edition with deathwing rules work on the 3rd edition board/dice?

Thanks all!

Banned

The dice are just normal D6s. The 3rd ed missions are the same as 1st ed ones, some with minor modifications I think. So if you get 3rd ed you are getting 1st ed + Deathwing anyway, with some very slight modifications.

1) Yes, but you get all the stuff sans background in 3rd ed, and the [URL="https://app.box.com/shared/1jfco59hjv"]Deathwing background[/URL] is out there if you [URL="http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/mirrors/shc/"]know where to look[/URL]

2) Yes, but most of the Deathwing rules are included in 3rd ed verbatim already.

So if you have either 1st ed + Deathwing or 3rd ed by itself you have the same game for the most part, I think from memory the main difference is 3rd uses 2nd's flamer system. Or just be crazy like me and get all the editions anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    The dice are just normal D6s. The 3rd ed missions are the same as 1st ed ones, some with minor modifications I think. So if you get 3rd ed you are getting 1st ed + Deathwing anyway, with some very slight modifications.

1) Yes, but you get all the stuff sans background in 3rd ed, and the [URL="https://app.box.com/shared/1jfco59hjv"]Deathwing background[/URL] is out there if you [URL="http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/mirrors/shc/"]know where to look[/URL]

2) Yes, but most of the Deathwing rules are included in 3rd ed verbatim already.

So if you have either 1st ed + Deathwing or 3rd ed by itself you have the same game for the most part, I think from memory the main difference is 3rd uses 2nd's flamer system. Or just be crazy like me and get all the editions anyway...

Thank you very much!!

Librarian

You're looking for the Space Hulk Bible- it is an unofficial document floating around the internet with loads of 1st ed stuff (and a few homebrews if you're interested in checking them out).

3rd ed has only a few changes from 1st ed with Deathwing- they added a few psychic powers (the librarian used to just have the force axe) and left out the thunder hammer's self destruct ability and other minor tweaks.

You may like the addition of the Terminator Captain.

www.GardenNinja.com