BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default 40k Questionnaire

I do suppose I should have put this as the front post rather than posting it within the thread after someone had dug it back up... this should be closed however, as multiple codex drops later half of it isn't even relevant to what people are experiencing in their own game play within their gaming communities.

1) Average Age of Respondent (out of 34 usable answers) 25

2) Average Player Rankings for Race Strength (out of 29 usable answers, best rating being 1 worst being 16)
    -Imperial Guard 2.1
    -Chaos Space Marines 3.5
    -Current Space Wolves 4.0
    -Orks 4.5
    -Space Marines 4.8
    -Eldar 5.4
    -Black Templars 8.4
    -Chaos Demons 8.7
    -.pdf Blood Angels 8.8
    -Previous Tyranids Codex 8.9
    -Dark Eldar 9.2
    -Dark Angels 10.3
    -Tau Empire 10.6
    -Witch Hunters 12.2
    -Necrons 13.5
    -Demon Hunters 13.7

3) Players Frequent Army (out of 34) 64% now use some kind of space marine as their main army
    Chaos Marines - 9
    Space Marines - 6
    Imperial Guard - 5
    Demon Hunters - 3
    Blood Angels, Tyranids, Witch Hunters, Dark Angels - 2
    Demons, Orks, Dark Eldar, Necrons - 1

4) Average edition joined 40k - 3rd (out of 34)
    Rouge Trader - 4
    2nd Edition - 7
    3rd Edition - 9
    4th Edition - 8
    5th Edition - 5

5) Most played - (rough guesses based on data)
    Top Tier - Space Marines
    Second Tier - Eldar, Guard, Orks
    Third Tier - Tyranids, Tau, CSM
    Bottom - Everybody Else

6) Favorite army to play against - (rough guesses based on data)
    Top Tier - Space Marines
    Second Tier - Eldar, Guard, Orks
    Third Tier - Tyranids, Tau, CSM
    Bottom - Everybody Else

7) 76% own and play a space marine at currently (8 No to 26 Yes)

8) Armies Players Started with (out of 34) 47% of respondents started with some kind of space marine
    Chaos Marines - 5
    Space Marines, Guard, Dark Angels - 4
    Tyrandis, Orks - 3
    Squats, Necrons, Sisters of Battle, 2
    Black Templars, Blood Angels, Tau, Eldar, Demonhunters - 1

9) What are the most important aspects of the hobby? (out of 34, 1 being the best and 3 being the worst)
    Painting - 2.8
    Modeling - 2.4
    Gaming - 1.7

10) How much do you play? (out of 34)
    A - 15
    B - 7
    C - 7
    D - 5

11) 8 yes to 26 no
    12) 10 yes to 24 no
    13) 17 yes to 17 no

and for the sake of completeness the questions and form as they were presented a while back

***UPDATE***
    -Please make sure that you have the 16 race selections completely ordered for #2. Answers missing races will through off race rankings which in turn will throw off totals when we try to draw a correlation of the results.

-For #13: an incomplete miniature is and mini that doesn't fulfill the usual casual tournament standard of at least three painted colors and fully modeled miniatures. Fully modeled means that the model was once complete, even if it currently is missing an arm, gun, or what not but you just haven't gotten around to it. Models may be painted to three colors but being missing sponsons, guns, as part of their assembly are not considered fully modeled.

-The results will include: average age of forum respondents, total years of experience behind respondents, number new (5th edition) players joining us on the forums and responding, favorite race to play, favorite army to start with, favorite armies to play against, usual armies played against, etc.

-A few things we want to test for: (There's more than just these, but more will be posted as correlations continue to develop)
    1) That a majority of respondents started with space marines and have migrated away to other races
    2) That most GT player respondents consider painting and modeling to be the apex of the hobby.
    3) That most respondents consider playing the game to be more important than the hobby aspect of the game.
    4) That people are comfortable gaming with armies that they don't consider to be among the most competitive.

Oh and does anyone know how to get an Excel Spreadsheet onto here? I know a couple people might be interested in the results

A few of the guys in my gaming group and I would like to test a couple of hunches about players that we have. Instead of just randomly posting all these potentially baseless theories and potentially annoying people we created a little questionnaire that was passed around our members and I want to try posting on here to see how people respond to it. It'll only take a moment and I'll post the correlations and results after either receiving 50 replies or if this thread becomes dead for more than three days.

40k Questionnaire: (To fill this out please hit quote and then remove the quote tags and the intro paragraph)

1) Please list your age:

2) Arrange these armies in order of most competitive to least: Chaos Demons, Chaos Space Marines, Daemonhunters, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Orks, Space Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves, Tau Empire, Tyranids, Witch Hunters

3) Which army do you play the most (please limit one response)

4) What year and edition did you begin playing 40k?

5) Please list the three races that you play against most:

6) Please list your favorite three races to play against:

7) Do you play a Marine army? (Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, or Space Wolves)

8) What was the first army that you collected (please limit one response)

9) Please arrange these aspects of the hobby in order of most important to least: Gaming, Modeling, Painting

10) How often in do you game:
    a) At least once a week
    b) At least once every couple weeks
    c) At least once a month
    d) At least once every couple months
    e) At least once a year
    f) It’s been longer than a year since I last gamed

11) Do you participate in GamesWorkshop sponsored tournaments like the Grand Tournement?

12) Do you compete official large scale third party tournements like BoLScon?

13) Do you game with incomplete miniatures? (Not painted fully/ not modeled completely)

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by eagleboy7259; 05-08-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: FAQ's and Theories

Brother-Captain

Do you want replies in this thread or PM'ed to you?

Librarian

replies in thread please

Brother-Captain

1) Please list your age:

2) Arrange these armies in order of most competitive to least: Chaos Demons, Chaos Space Marines, Daemonhunters, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Orks, Space Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves, Tau Empire, Tyranids, Witch Hunters

Havn't played 5th ed enough to know

Blood Angels

3rd

Space Marines, Ork, Chaos SM

Orks, Necron, SM/CSM

7) Do you play a Marine army? (Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, or Space Wolves)
    Yes

Tyranid (2nd ed before I played)

9) Please arrange these aspects of the hobby in order of most important to least: Gaming, Modeling, Painting

Modeling, Painting, Gaming (i love to convert models more than anything else)

d) At least once every couple months

11) Do you participate in GamesWorkshop sponsored tournaments like the Grand Tournement?
    Not at GW stores, but I have played in 'Ard Boyz

No

13) Do you game with incomplete miniatures? (Not painted fully/ not modeled completely)
    Fully modeled, but not fully painted.

Thank you for your time.
    == Not a prob.

Scout

1: 25
    2: CSM, IG, Orks, Space Wolves, Space Marines, Tyranids, Chaos Daemons, Black Templars, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Tau, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, DH, WH, Necrons
    3: Chaos Daemons
    4: 1998, 2nd ed
    5: Tau, Eldar, Space Marines
    6: Orks, Nids, CSM
    7: Yes, 2 CSM & UM
    8: Blood Angels
    9: Modelling, Gaming, Painting
    10: b) at least every couple of weeks
    11: No
    12: No
    13: Yes

1) Please list your age:
    2) Arrange these armies in order of most competitive to least:
    Imperial Guard, Space Wolves, Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Tau Empire, Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Tyranids, Chaos Daemons, Witch Hunters,Dark Eldar, Daemon Hunters, Necrons
    Imperial Guard
    2005, 4th Edition
    Space Marines, Eldar, Tyranids
    Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Tyranids
    7) Do you play a Marine army?
    Yes, Space Wolves and Chaos Space Marines.
    Imperial Guard
    9) Please arrange these aspects of the hobby in order of most important to least:
    Gaming, Modeling, Painting (That was easy )
    a) At least once a week
    Nope.
    Nope.
    13) Do you game with incomplete miniatures?
    Well only about 15 of my models are painted, so yeah.
    Last edited by Sam; 11-22-2009 at 12:36 AM.
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

Veteran-Sergeant

1) 37
    2) Imperial Guard, Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines, Orks, Tyranids, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Black Templars, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Chaos Demons, Blood Angels, Tau Empire, Witch Hunters, Daemonhunters, Necrons
    3) Daemonhunters
    4) 1988, 1st edition (Rogue Trader)
    5) Marines, Orks, Tyranids
    6) Marines, Eldar, Guard
    7) Do you play a Marine army? No
    8) Imperial Guard
    9) Gaming, Modeling, Painting
    10) a) At least once a week
    11) Yes
    12) No
    13) No

SJ

Battle-Brother

1) Please list your age: 36

2) Arrange these armies in order of most competitive to least:

Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Eldar, Space Marines, Dark Eldar, Orks, Chaos Daemons, Black Templars, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels,Tau Empire, Tyranids, Witch Hunters,Necrons, Daemonhunters

3) Which army do you play the most (please limit one response) Chaos Marines

4) What year and edition did you begin playing 40k? 3rd - 2002 (?)

5) Please list the three races that you play against most: Eldar, Marines, Imperial Guard

6) Please list your favorite three races to play against: Eldar, Marines, Tyranids

7) Do you play a Marine army? (Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, or Space Wolves) Yes

8) What was the first army that you collected (please limit one response) Marines

9) Please arrange these aspects of the hobby in order of most important to least: Painting, gaming, modelling

c) At least once a month

11) Do you participate in GamesWorkshop sponsored tournaments like the Grand Tournement? No

12) Do you compete official large scale third party tournements like BoLScon? Sometimes

13) Do you game with incomplete miniatures? (Not painted fully/ not modeled completely) No

Brother-Captain

1) Please list your age: 23

2) Arrange these armies in order of most competitive to least: Imperial Guard, Space Wolves, Eldar, Orks, Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines, Black Templar, Tyranids, Witch Hunters, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Tau, Necrons, Daemonhunters

I excluded Dark Eldar because I've never seen them played

3) Which army do you play the most (please limit one response) Dark Angels

4) What year and edition did you begin playing 40k? 2009 5th edition

5) Please list the three races that you play against most: Space Wolves, Tau, Tyranids

6) Please list your favorite three races to play against: Tau, Tyranids, Eldar

7) Do you play a Marine army? (Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, or Space Wolves) Yep

8) What was the first army that you collected (please limit one response) Dark Angels

9) Please arrange these aspects of the hobby in order of most important to least: Gaming, Painting, Modeling

a) At least once a week

11) Do you participate in GamesWorkshop sponsored tournaments like the Grand Tournement? Nope.

12) Do you compete official large scale third party tournements like BoLScon? I've never been to one, but I'll probably go after I get my army fully painted.

13) Do you game with incomplete miniatures? (Not painted fully/ not modeled completely) Yep. I've got about 1200 points painted, but I'm working on it. Slowly but surely

Librarian

1) 32

2) Chaos Space Marines, Orks, Imperial Guard, Space Wolves, Chaos Demons, Eldar, Black Templars, Space Marines, Blood Angels, Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Dark Angels, Witch Hunters, Daemonhunters, Necrons

3) Space Marines

4) Rogue Trader, 1988

5) Imperial Guard, Tau, Chaos Daemons

6) Imperial Guard, Chaos Daemons, Orks

7) Yes

8) Squats

9) Modeling, Gaming, Painting

10) At least once a month

11) No

12) No

13) Only if I'm behind on my painting schedule and it's necessary

The answer to question 2 is based on the players I know who have those armies, I expect that my list won't be in line with the established tournament standards.
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast