BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default H G Wells, the granddaddy of war gaming

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22777029[/url]

This is a really interesting read, I never realised that one of my favourite authors was also responsible for the creation of one of my favourite hobbies.

The full text of Little Wars, HG Wells' book that is the focus of the article, is available publicly for free from the Gutenberg Project: [url]http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3691/3691-h/3691-h.htm[/url]

It is worth a skim for the pictures alone.

I read this earlier today, absolutely fascinating!

WellsHammer? Mark Wells, former Chairmain/CEO/Whatever?

Illuminecktie?

Occuli Imperator

Like the article, not sure why it is in 40k general though, maybe Wargames Historical would have been a better place for it.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Captain

I saw this article late last night and had a good read. Also saw a documentary on Wells the other night on netflix. He's a lot more involved with the genre of Sci Fi and the world of gaming than I ever thought. I knew about this book and even tried to use/read it years ago but couldn't get into it. My favorite game store in the 90's was called Little Wars and first learned of it then, but never got the chance to check it out until last year.

If you've gotten this far in the thread and havn't read the article above, I recommend you go back and do so.

Librarian

Something else to look up is Kriegspiel, and the evolution of Chess, as both of those are "table-top" wargames from before the 1900's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Like the article, not sure why it is in 40k general though, maybe Wargames Historical would have been a better place for it.
    The article specifically mentions Warhammer tho'

"The game is a forerunner of modern formats like the Warhammer system sold by Games Workshop."

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post

"The game is a forerunner of modern formats like the Warhammer system sold by Games Workshop."
    Beat me to it :-)

I once read also about a Russian prince who played large scale wargames wit real people as a child, uniforms, fortifications and toy guns/canon.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post

But the whole article is about HG Wells system which was used to fight historical games, hence Wargames Historical.
    This article has is not a general discussion of 40k.
    Games Workshop also do WFB, LoTR, heck they even have Warhammer Historical ([url]http://www.warhammer-historical.com/[/url]) so why is this in the specific 40k general discussion, by this logic it could go in WFB general, LoTR general.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni