BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Your top Legions

I was reviewing old Facebook stuff, and found my list of favourite Legions

This ranking is sorted via the rating of Legion Tactics, Legion Colours, Legion History, and Primarch Likeability
    1 - Thousand Sons
    2 - Raven Guard
    3 - Night Lords
    4 - Word Bearers
    5 - Ultramarines
    6 - Dark Angels
    7 - World Eaters
    8 - Emperor's Children
    9 - Alpha Legion
    10 - Salamanders
    11 - White Scars
    12 - Luna Wolves / Sons of Horus
    13 - Iron Warriors
    14 - Imperial Fists
    15 - Iron Hands
    16 - Death Guard
    17 - Blood Angels
    18 - Space Wolves

I just wanted to know the community's stance, make your own list guys!
    Feel free to throw in your opinions of why you love those Legions, and ask me about my list if you wish.

I don't want this to turn into a "Primarch X is better than Primarch Y" debate, but it probably will.

Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 08-05-2013 at 08:28 AM.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Of the loyalists, my favourites are the Ultramarines, Salamanders, Raven Guard, Space Wolves and Imperial Fists. Ultramarines are top of the heap (natch).
    I don't feel like I know enough about the White Scars.
    I'm kind of "meh" on Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Iron Hands.

My favourite traitors are the Night Lords (mostly thanks to ADB), the Thousand Sons (Tzeentch Iz Best) and Alpha Legion.
    I quite like the aesthetic and style (cultists!) of the Word Bearers, but I don't like them much in the fiction ('cept Argel Tal).
    Not especially fond of any of the others.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Ultramarines
    Thousand Sons
    Emperors Children
    Blood Angels
    Dark Angels

The rest I don't particularly care about one way or the other, 'cept Space Wolves, who I always picture (probably unfairly) as a bunch of misogynist ****s. I think it's the over the top masculinity.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Of the loyalists, my favourites are the Ultramarines, Salamanders, Raven Guard, Space Wolves and Imperial Fists. Ultramarines are top of the heap (natch).
    I don't feel like I know enough about the White Scars.
    I'm kind of "meh" on Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Iron Hands.

My favourite traitors are the Night Lords (mostly thanks to ADB), the Thousand Sons (Tzeentch Iz Best) and Alpha Legion.
    I quite like the aesthetic and style (cultists!) of the Word Bearers, but I don't like them much in the fiction ('cept Argel Tal).
    Not especially fond of any of the others.
    I love Argel Tal, hench why the Word Bearers are near the top of the list. Yes, I agree, ADB has made me favour the Night Lords heavily. That guy is just epic.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Ultramarines
    Thousand Sons
    Emperors Children
    Blood Angels
    Dark Angels

The rest I don't particularly care about one way or the other, 'cept Space Wolves, who I always picture (probably unfairly) as a bunch of misogynist ****s. I think it's the over the top masculinity.
    I hate the Space Wolves (as you can see)
    Possibly for the same reason.

They aren't even Space Vikings, they're just lame.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Scout

That does seem unfair, given that they show no more casual disdain for women than they do for all mortals. I think it's an "Astartes > everyone else" thing more than anything (as with most legions).

Anyway, in no particular order my favorites are:

Alpha Legion
    Thousand Sons
    Iron Hands
    Space Wolves
    Death Guard
    Iron Warriors
    Salamanders

The rest I could really take or leave.

Chapter-Master

1) Iron Hands, (because they are what us Industrialists/rivetheads/cyberpunks wish we could look like.)
    2) Blood Angels, (been a fan since I was 8 years old and 2nd ed memories. San guard and new characters made me love them more)
    3) Thousand Sons (the HH book really won me over on them)
    4) Dark Angels (sucker for the gothic/robes imagery)

Scout

Traitor Legions
    1- Alpha Legion - the HH book really made me fall in love with them, rhe whole idea of turning to Chaos to save the Emporor / humanity really intrigued me, Legion was a great book that made me consider them as my next army (when I finally complete my SM and Eldar armies! )
    2- Emperors Children - loved seeing the fall from grace from them and great to see a Slaanesh based army, loads of pink/purple and clashing colours make for a great table top presence.
    3- Thousand Sons - another great background to the army shown through the HH series. Lots od sxopw foe xonversions as not much out there, the Egyptian styling open to plenty potential.

Loyalists
    1- Raven Guard - love the fast attack ethos of the army, quick to paint but again loads of rook for personalised army themes using wings etc. Only a minor thing but I love how the company colour is shown on one shoulder guard, mostly SM forces are totally symmetrical so little nuance but effective.
    2-Salamanders - if only for fluff that makes them black skinned with red eyes. Again little nuance goes a long way.
    3- Blood Angels - Death Company alone is a winner!!!

Currently working on SM force designed around Raven Guard and Blood Angels. Great baxkground and miniatures to work with.

Definitely White Scars. Maybe just because I'm a history nerd and I love Genghis

Space Wolves? Oh, you meant to say all Astartes and 40K in general.

Also, masculinity can only be bad if femininity can also be bad. That is to say, I'm not sure wrongness can be assigned to someone based on their conformity to their gender role. Especially in a post-apocalyptic future in which battle prowess = survival. In that situation, I'd assume masculinity to be a virtue indeed. :P

And in closing, I like Space Wolves.

In order:

1. Iron Hands, 'cause cyborgs.
    2. Dark Angels, 'cause monks robes and homoeroticism.
    3. Blood Angels 'cause Sanuinary Guard are the Best Marine Models Ever, plus the different coloured helmets for different squad types is awesome.
    4. World Eaters 'cause that 1st ed sculpt in Mk V armour by Jes Goodwin is the second Best Marine Model Ever - shame the other don't live up to it. Also their preheresy colour scheme is awesome.
    5. Emperor's Children 'cause Palatine Blades.
    6. Sons of Horus 'cause Reaver Squads.

Couldn't give two tugs of the proverbial for the other jabronis.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast