BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I've always had my favs, and these are them....

1. Iron Warriors (although I've never built an army of them) For the siege aspect.
    2. Blood Angels for the assault aspect of them.
    3. Salamanders cause fire is good.
    4. Emperor's Children... who wouldn't want an army that would make KISS proud? I always thought an army with KISS as a theme would be good for ECs.
    5. Rainbow Warriors, oh the fun you can have with a theme army there...

For me:

1. Imperial Fists
    2. Space Wolves
    3. Death Guard Legion Preheresy
    4. Ultramarines
    5. Luna Wolves before they became Sons of Horus

Emperor's Children and Salamanders are right out.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Some good responses here guys!

Let's not say anymore about feminism here, there's a thread for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    1. Iron Warriors (although I've never built an army of them) For the siege aspect.
    Saying that, I have never done the Thousand Sons, pre or post Heresy.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Space Wolves? Oh, you meant to say all Astartes and 40K in general.

Also, masculinity can only be bad if femininity can also be bad. That is to say, I'm not sure wrongness can be assigned to someone based on their conformity to their gender role. Especially in a post-apocalyptic future in which battle prowess = survival. In that situation, I'd assume masculinity to be a virtue indeed. :P

And in closing, I like Space Wolves.
    I didn't say masculinity was bad, I cited over the top masculinity for my unfair perception of Space Wolves as being misogynists. Space Wolves actually work with a female planetary governor (I think?) in one of the novels and as far as I know there was no sexism involved. The problem is, for me, that you have a bunch of hyper-masculine supermen who are feral and often literally bestial with overt Viking iconography, the Viking raiders being perceived as being notorious rapists (they probably weren't, that's another issue). What it amounts to, basically, is me being uncomfortable with Space Wolves, not there being anything actually wrong with them or the way they are depicted.

Just clarifying what I meant, back on topic!
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Sergeant

1. Imperial Fists
    Also (tied)
    1. Space Wolves
    For me it litterally is what am I in the mood for.
    2. Iron Hands
    3. Ultramarines
    I don't care for the traitor legions with the Death Guard being the only one I would ever consider.

"Legions"?

Any Legio Titanicus.
    Last edited by GrauGeist; 08-03-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

I find that whenever Black Library releases an audiobook/audio drama for any of the Big 18, I end up becoming a fan of that legion and immediately wanting to start a new army of whatever the last audio was that I listened to. For instance, I never thought the day would come when I wanted to start an Emperor's Children army. Then I listened to Perfection (technically that was the Flawless Host, but you get the idea). Same with World Eaters after I listened to Betrayer.

Iron Hands, Iron Warriors, and Imperial Fists seem to be the legions I have most difficulty getting interested in, for some reason.
    Last edited by The Sovereign; 08-03-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I didn't say masculinity was bad, I cited over the top masculinity for my unfair perception of Space Wolves as being misogynists. Space Wolves actually work with a female planetary governor (I think?) in one of the novels and as far as I know there was no sexism involved. The problem is, for me, that you have a bunch of hyper-masculine supermen who are feral and often literally bestial with overt Viking iconography, the Viking raiders being perceived as being notorious rapists (they probably weren't, that's another issue). What it amounts to, basically, is me being uncomfortable with Space Wolves, not there being anything actually wrong with them or the way they are depicted.

Just clarifying what I meant, back on topic!
    If you ever choose to read any of the Space Wolves novels you'll see that almost every single one of their books has a strong female character that works alongside the Space Wolves.

You had the Navigator for the William King series.

I forget what their human Fenrisian PDF is called...jarl something or other...but anyway. Battle for the Fang featured a female PDF trooper prominently.

It's really a Grey Knight's novel, but The Emperor's Gift had a Fenrisian born Inquisitor serving with the Grey Knights.

I can't recall a female character in Abnett's Prospero Burns though. Aside from the Sisters of Silence that were strangely quiet...

Their latest, Blood of Asaheim had several prominent characters that were Sisters of Battle. One controlling the planetary defense and another that is part of an inquisition plot against the SWs...she even expresses an opinion akin to yours when speaking of her impressions of the VIth Legion.

Chapter-Master

1. Raven Guard
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Veteran-Sergeant

I like the Blood Angels, they are a codex chapter with an espresso turbo shot, pretty boyz that kick your butt if you make fun of them and their HH fluff is delightfully OTT.

really do not like the Word Bearers, too much "Daddy does not like us! So lets show him! (but since we really do suck, lets trick Horus onto our side, then we will show em!)"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast