BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Army painter quick shade

I've recently got some quick shade to speed up army painting and wanted to know the opinion of anyone who had used it before. I'm doing a few tester models (pictures to follow) and find that it's quite thick and leaves a thick coat on the model after "dipping" it is this normal ?

Veteran-Sergeant

It is a bit thick. You need to shake the can up for a long time and shake the extra off the model after you dip it. I prefer to brush it on. I have more control that way.

There was a recent discussion about Quickshade in relation to Lizardmen. [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?34643-Lizardmen-What-Have-I-Missed/page3[/url]

Deadlift posted an example, and could probably speak more about consistency and so forth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	4493

This was dipped in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	4494

This was brushed on

Fly Lord

I did an entire ork army and about 50 plaguebearers with dipping. I also found that too much of the "dip" stayed on the models.

Here's my trick:

1) glue all your models (very securely) to be dipped to cheap wood golf tees (you can buy hundreds for nothing) I just superglued the golf tee head to the underside of the round base.
    2) grab a small trash can you dont care about
    3) when each model is ready for the dip lock the pointy end of the golf tee into an electric drill
    4) quickly "dip" the model
    5) invert it upside down well inside the trashcan and give it about a 2-3 second "spin" with the drill
    6) remove the golf tee/mini from the drill head and stick it into something to dry

This technique will hurl all the excess dip off of the model and onto the trashcan inside walls. Try it with some test models to get the hang of it and get your timing down to the level of dip you want to remain on the model.

The technique works like a charm with any finecast or plastic model. With heavy metal minis, you have to get them on the tee very securely or BAD THINGS may happen.

I *may* have hurled a metal GUO (and my little plastic trashcan) 30 feet into the street - maybe... He's better now.
    Last edited by Bigred; 08-06-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Bigred genius idea !

Chapter-Master

I know a guy who won a Golden Daemon with his Hive Tyrant years ago who did that exact same thing with his Gaunts.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Fly Lord

My friend and I used to use flying stands before we discovered golf tees are way cheaper:

[url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/07/tutorial-dipping-orks.html[/url]
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Exactly how thick is quickshade? Is it something that could be feasibly sprayed?

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    Exactly how thick is quickshade? Is it something that could be feasibly sprayed?
    It's way to thick to be sprayed its a similar consistency to pva glue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast