BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Your favourite Codex ever ?

Hi folks
    Just thought I would pick the minds of some of you fine people and see what your favourite codex is or was, doesn't have to be current. Could be from any edition. But which one (or two, maybe 3) codex have you enjoyed most and why ?

It could be because of the fluff or how it played. The model release that accompanied it. Any reason you care to give.

Me I only started playing in 2007 during 4th edition so I don't have as many of the books to choose from. However 2 spring immediately to mind.

1. The 2008 space marine codex. Despite all the books that came after this one, all the codexes that changed the so called "meta" etc. the likes of Grey Knights, Space wolves, Necrons and now Tau as examples. I have always been able to make a Space Marine list that could stand its own against almost anyone's army. Granted I do not play tournaments etc, but no matter what came after this codex that seemed new and better, the good old 2008 vanilla codex kept going strong.

2. The current Ork codex, another army that's still strong in the right hands. But that's not why I love it so much, it's the fluff. Seriously anyone looking for 40k related humour has to read the Ork codex. It's lots of fun to read and always worth a chuckle.

Over to you guys and gals
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I still have my copies of the Compendium and the Compilation from the Rogue Trader days. I love those two. So much in them.

Librarian

I happen to love the SM codex from 4th edition. the endless possabilities when it came down to making your own chapter are what made me create my own space marine legion. then there was 5th which while i don't hate the codex i do despise that in order to get a unique legion you had to take a special character. It was what made me move to Chaos when that book dropped. which then got ruined anyhow

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Chaos 3.5

So much variation. Everything a codex should be.

You could play 7 different players and face 7 different, workable lists.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Chaos 3.5

So much variation. Everything a codex should be.

You could play 7 different players and face 7 different, workable lists.
    This man speaks the truth.

I feel like instead of adding new daemon engines, the Chaos release should've focused on adding themed upgrade packs to make Legion-rules profitable for GW to include.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 08-06-2013 at 05:34 PM.

My favourite is the current Imperial Guard Codex. Has absolutely everything, and the basic Infantry Platoon is just great - harks back to how the old Imperial Army used to be in 1st edition.

The current Dark Eldar codex is next; there's not a single bad unit. The worst is probably the Mandrakes, and if that's a Codex's worst unit, you know it's a solid codex. Multiple builds, all of which are viable, a totally different play style to Marines (which is also very high skill to use - another plus), and with genuinely engaging fluff. Yup, superb work that one.

the Chaos release should've focused on adding themed upgrade packs to make Legion-rules profitable for GW to include.
    Well, these new supplementary codexes will almost definitely give you what you want, so I wouldn't worry.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Veteran-Sergeant

2nd edition eldar

40k 3rd Edition Rulebook Codex. Well-balanced and easy to play. No excess of unnecessary rules or stupid tables.

If I had to pick a standalone, I guess it'd be 3rd Ed Eldar + Craftworld Eldar, simply because I'm primarily Biel-Tan.
    Last edited by GrauGeist; 08-06-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    I feel like instead of adding new daemon engines, the Chaos release should've focused on adding themed upgrade packs to make Legion-rules profitable for GW to include.
    Do you not understand how the $50 Supplements are going to work? Legion rules are going to be *very* profitable for GW.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
    Do you not understand how the $50 Supplements are going to work? Legion rules are going to be *very* profitable for GW.
    But it seems that these supplements aren't going to be including new models, or rules/units that require them, which rules out a lot of fun stuff with the World Eaters/Death Guard/Thousand Sons/ Emperor's Children. They might change the method, but I don't have my hopes up.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast