BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

4th Edition Build-A-Bug Tyranids! It was a great time to be a Bug player! Now, not so much...
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Librarian

I second Chaos Marines 3.5 - that book had everything!

Codex Armageddon: Four very solid lists in that mini-dex! Black Templars were the first army I ever completed and were sweet during the age of the Rhino Rush! Too bad GW has shifted their favor away from them as they're the last army still using a 4th ed book. Speed Freaks also ruled the tournament scene for a short time but were always a top tier army. Oh and Salamanders with I3, cheap terminators and rules that didn't make your opponent hate you for playing with them. You got way more than 2 pages of unique rules, and you didn't need to pay $50 to get it.

Pedant attack - WAAAARGGHH was a source book, the army lists were in 'Ere we Go and Freebooterz respectively. And on that thought, if a freebooterz list came out for orkses as a supplement, i would invest in my first ork army in 2 decades.
    They really were good sourcebooks.

I still remember it was Flash Gits that got me into converting in the first place (even though I never played Orks). I can't find a picture, but there was this one Ork who had been mounted on a cavalry base to accomodate his ludicrous gun. It was made of three normal plasma guns glued in sequence, and the muzzle was held up by a grot oiler. This was an officially playable Ork model back in the day.

And Ghazghkull was the result of random dice rolls on the insane charts they used for bionik bitz! He got his metal head through sheer fluke (because that's what Andy Chambers rolled)! Ghazghkull's whole character is the result demonstrating how to use charts and random dice rolls, and now he's this huge, important character!

Brilliant stuff.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 08-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

First-Captain

I would say the Eye of Terror Codex which allowed the Uthrwe Strike Force as my favorite.

I liked 4th edition nids. Due to dakka fexes, fleshboring gaunts re rolling wounds, ad deathspitting blast template love via warriors. I liked 4th edition nids in 5th edition

Also I liked 4.5 Daemons. 5th edition daemons was awesome too. Not really a fan of the white dwarf update.

To go with the majority I liked chaos space marines 3.5 the most. I remember when I read it first and thought about all the cool options. I loved my chosen with Mark of Khorne and wings following my daemon prince (now they are just cool looking raptors...) Even if it was a little complicated to get right what combinations of weapons, marks and units were allowed, the many options and flavour easily outweighed this.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Codex: Dark Eldar. The new one. Choosing between most units is a case of personal taste and playstyle rather than one being objectively better than the other, there is only one rubbish unit and it can still be quite powerful with a little luck. It's packed full of fun and lore friendly wargear and it is still extremely competitive in 6th if you know what you are doing.
    Wait, there's a bad unit?

SM 4? (traits)
    CSM 3.5
    Nids - Build-a-bug version, although to be honest it needed some of the critters from the current codex. The current dex has a bit too much nerfing for me.
    1. There are female marines and my Sunhawks will explain it to you.
    2. We are the Emperor's Children and we WILL redeem our honor.

Scout

I must agree with others who said Chaos 3.5. That was the best

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Wait, there's a bad unit?
    Mandrakes and Kheradruakh are considered 'bad'. It's a little unfair, they aren't so much bad as competing against better units. Mandrakes can be quite devastating if you get some pain tokens on them, munching through units quite happily. But they can also fail miserably. Bloodbrides, Trueborn, Wracks and Grotesques are all much more reliable/effective.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Eye of Terror and Craftworld Eldar were great for me. Any codex which puts a strong emphasis on personality/story rather than strictly the rules.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast