BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I did adore Chaos 3.5. What a labour of love that was, especially coming off the back of a pretty dreary era in 3rd Ed codices where there was barely any content at all. I recently read back through the 3rd Ed Eldar Codex, and apart from a couple of nice art pieces and some fun in-universe content, it's a sad, sad thing. 2nd Ed Eldar was lovely, still have that fraying in a cupboard somewhere.

My brother's owned loads of codices and army books, I've only ever had a few: Eldar (2nd, 3rd, 6th), Space Marines (5th) and Tomb Kings (8th). Now I've an iPad, I'm slightly tempted to acquire more!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Current Necron book.

First, there are no truly duff units. Even the much maligned flayed ones have their uses!

Completely complete model range is also a win.

And the background. Quite the revelation to my mind. Taken a fairly soulless army, and injected serious character, overriding, but not necessarily overruling what went before. Whilst the majority of the Dynasties survived quite nicely, none have emerged fully unscathed. Take my personal favourite, Zandrekh. Utterly loopy!

There's also tomb worlds where the world itself is in charge, and attempting to expand it's domain.

It's taken Necrons from something of an 'end game' race (in so far as they could be anywhere, had the hardest ships, functionally invincible troops. Oh and Star Gods on their side) to a more toned down, but still very serious threat.

I loves it I does!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 08-07-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidal View Post
    WD127 if it counts.

If it doesn't, then Codex: Eldar during 2nd edition. I do like the current book (very nice artwork and presentation for the most part), but the writing quality just feels a bit lower than it was back then.
    Awesome shout - I ignored the Space Wolf WD armylist because I thought i'd stick to true codexes ie stnadalone books, but that army list was a master.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Initiate

The original Tyranid codex (3rd edition I think but it was a looooong time ago)

It had such great fluff and Nids were still fairly new on the scene. I specifically remember an awesome short story about a Tyranid attack on an IG compound in the jungle.

It started out with a Lictor picking off a scout force and then the finale was a massive attack in which all the IG were wiped out by spore mines and gaunts. Must have read that story 60 times in the 3 week span my boy let me borrow the book.

Chaplain

well I'm a very fluffy guy so Necrons (6th) and Sisters of battle (3rd) are my picks. You can make themey lists that do work and for me thats a good army
    although the marines and guard will always hold a special place in my heart

The original Tau codex in third edition. It wasn't the best codex, especially not given the assault rules of the day. It was the first time GW released a full-on new army that had neither been hinted at, or was in story, previously. Even Sisters of Battle were in story and art, and Necrons had a little White Dwarf list with a few units. It was entirely and completely new to the 40K universe, and instantly changed the landscape of the game and balance of power in local groups.

I liked the previous Ork Codex. The fluff was awesome, especially how the Imperial scientist tried to explain how Orks have an innate ability to make mechanical things work and how they grow from snot sacks.

Plus, choppas were better.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

I liked the previous Ork Codex. The fluff was awesome, especially how the Imperial scientist tried to explain how Orks have an innate ability to make mechanical things work and how they grow from snot sacks.
    The original 1st ed Ork books were hilarious. Unplayably bad (Malfunction cards meant that pretty much every turn a piece of Ork equipment would catastrophically explode and probably take half your army with it), but hilarious.

I still miss the cranial bomb and squig brain "upgrades"...

Plus, they were called "WAAAAAAAARGH!" and "'Ere we go" respectively. The Orks weren't an army list; they were a pack of football hooligans on a grand tour of the universe. Which they still are at times, but far less relentlessly.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Librarian

Realm of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness, followed by Realm of Chaos - Lost and the Damned, with 3rd place going to Codex Chaos Space Marine 1999 (the Black covered edition where each legion had its own rules and you could make a legion army list, not the revised 2002 edition).
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    The original 1st ed Ork books were hilarious. Unplayably bad (Malfunction cards meant that pretty much every turn a piece of Ork equipment would catastrophically explode and probably take half your army with it), but hilarious.

I still miss the cranial bomb and squig brain "upgrades"...

Plus, they were called "WAAAAAAAARGH!" and "'Ere we go" respectively. The Orks weren't an army list; they were a pack of football hooligans on a grand tour of the universe. Which they still are at times, but far less relentlessly.
    Pedant attack - WAAAARGGHH was a source book, the army lists were in 'Ere we Go and Freebooterz respectively. And on that thought, if a freebooterz list came out for orkses as a supplement, i would invest in my first ork army in 2 decades.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast