BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new WAVEdar

Default new WAVEdar

is it just me ?
    or is the new waveserpent just a bit ... "silly" ???

have run new WAVEdar a few times now; 6 Wavz and 3 Spinnerz,, [the spinnerz keep close quarters stuff off the Wavz]
    ... really annoying for opponents... but hardly 'fair' ...

is a FAQ coming or can we really run vry1 off the board with endless 60" ignore cover ?

Chapter-Master

Yet more whining about wave serpents. Yes they're good. Yes they're better MBT's than transports, but you get close enough to them and they're just like any other AV10 Rear armor tank - toilet paper.

However I think the problem here isn't the serpent alone, but also the people you play against. My 2k escalation army that I've been using recently has 3 wave serpents that are actually used as transports (I hardly shoot the shield) - I don't see a need for more than that
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

As someone who normally plays Draigowing player, I welcome the cute attempt to try and spam str 6/7 weak AP shooting. Similar to Tau missile Broadsides, they may be stupidly underpriced, but they're pretty bad against me. Though I'm much better at glancing Wave Serpents to death than shooting down Broadsides.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

so in general.... apart from the obvious 'underpricing' ... [like a Wavez... is much cheaper than a falcon now and does the same job ... only better]...

no one is too bothered by the new rule ...and anyone moaning just has to deal !?

{but just to also point out that for a measly 5pts [45pts in the old codex]... i can now stick a tl britelance on my bs4 turret [x6] ... and spinners are st 8 against most vehicles }...

I think people just aren't used to eldar having something that is really good. It's far from OP, undercosted slightly yes but no more than various units across many other armies. I think it is far less damaging to the game in general than, say, the vendetta which makes every other flyer look bad.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I think people just aren't used to eldar having something that is really good. It's far from OP, undercosted slightly yes but no more than various units across many other armies. I think it is far less damaging to the game in general than, say, the vendetta which makes every other flyer look bad.
    I doubt it eldargal, eldar were lack luster for basically just 5th Ed.

In 2nd, 3rd and the first half of 4th they were consistently one of the best armies, be it unkillable falcons, star cannon spam, ranger disruption table, or the exarchs of doom from 2nd.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

yes but as an eldar player ... 5th ed and our shoddy old bs3 codex... seemed to last an eternity...
    ...and some opponents havent yet twigged how good the new codex has made certain units !

im trying newWINGdar next week, three units of hawkz, bosshawk on his own, 3x spinners, gjb for objectives, and DEallies... hellions [troops] and the baron, and scourges, torn between farseer and autarch for final hq choice... [bikes or wings respectively]... ;-}

I agree, and I'm an eldar player. Wave Serpents are stupidly good. They outshadow a lot of other nice units, particularly the Falcon. That said, they're not broken, like certain flyer lists and such.

Chapter-Master

Here are some good ways to kill wave serpents:

Sternguard with combi meltas in a drop pod - get to the rear armor and its AV10 with no shield available. (Even combi plas)
    Dakkaboyz - those Str 7 guns don't care if its got a defensive shield or not.
    Outflanking autocannon sentinels - again getting to rear armor is key.

Anything that is high strength but low shot count will fail against them. As always, Str 7 high volume fire will ruin its day.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Anything that is high strength but low shot count will fail against them. As always, Str 7 high volume fire will ruin its day.
    Exactly so, and it's not like this is anything new for Wave Serpents. They're more survivable now with Holo-fields and the virtual negation of penetrating hits, but your average serpent is 15-25pts more expensive than it used to be too. They're quite good, but hardly game redefining, besides maybe to allow Eldar to keep up the Mech game while everyone else on the internet has supposedly moved away from transports this edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast