BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new WAVEdar

First-Captain

I found very mobile assaulty units can kill a serpent dead rather easy. Not really impressed yet. Faced them 5 times and it's more of an annoyance than anything. The problem I see is they really lcak bite like link said.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    I found very mobile assaulty units can kill a serpent dead rather easy. Not really impressed yet. Faced them 5 times and it's more of an annoyance than anything. The problem I see is they really lcak bite like link said.
    I wouldn't say they lack bite--mine have been able to put out a lot of hurt against light-medium vehicles and light infantry-- but that involves firing the shield making you all the more vulnerable. I said in another thread, so many of the alarmist proclamations of Wave Serpent brokenness don't seem to take into consideration that the shield can't do both things at once.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    I wouldn't say they lack bite--mine have been able to put out a lot of hurt against light-medium vehicles and light infantry-- but that involves firing the shield making you all the more vulnerable. I said in another thread, so many of the alarmist proclamations of Wave Serpent brokenness don't seem to take into consideration that the shield can't do both things at once.
    A nice trick to use the shield reliably as a shooter is to park your tank behind some ruins or other 4+ terrain. The HF's give you a +1 to your cover save so while you shoot your shield out and annoying units with low saves that rely on cover - the tank enjoys a 3+ cover save.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    A nice trick to use the shield reliably as a shooter is to park your tank behind some ruins or other 4+ terrain. The HF's give you a +1 to your cover save so while you shoot your shield out and annoying units with low saves that rely on cover - the tank enjoys a 3+ cover save.
    Unless you are playing tau

You guys must roll lots better than i do with my serpent shields. I typically get 3-4 shots with mine, sometimes twin linked if I take the scatter laser, of course if I do, then i cant get that bright lance that everyone complains about.

I tried to take down a riptide with my WS "spam". Hearing so many great things about it. I fired 3 WS into a single riptide. weight of fire usually brings down 2+ saves right? LOL I did 1-2 wounds with about 32 hits. Same thing with broadsides, i might kill a pair of drones and a broadside before the returning missile fire wrecks me with glances. Just off the top of my head Id think Necrons would have a good chance to blow up the Wavedar. Anything that can assault them destroys them (jump marines)

/shrug. I think they are a decent option, and far from undercost at 145+pts each. I will reserve my *****ing for Tau and their 24 shot twin linked cover ignoring no line of sight needing missile shots. or IG tanks , cause i hate them =)

I think weight of fire might be more aptly called weight of wounds. It works when you can throw 30+ shots at the target that are liable to wound it in a 4+ or better, like in the old codex a bunch of Doom/Guide Bladestorming dire avengers against termies. But when you've only got ~8 shots that are wounding on 3+ and 4+ against a 2+ armor save, it's just not gonna cut it. If taking flyers wasn't suicide against Tau, a Crimson Hunter wouldn't be a bad option, Fire Dragons are good, but even just a couple squads of Dire Avengers (particularly with Doom) can put out a lot of hurt.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    I think weight of fire might be more aptly called weight of wounds. It works when you can throw 30+ shots at the target that are liable to wound it in a 4+ or better, like in the old codex a bunch of Doom/Guide Bladestorming dire avengers against termies. But when you've only got ~8 shots that are wounding on 3+ and 4+ against a 2+ armor save, it's just not gonna cut it. If taking flyers wasn't suicide against Tau, a Crimson Hunter wouldn't be a bad option, Fire Dragons are good, but even just a couple squads of Dire Avengers (particularly with Doom) can put out a lot of hurt.
    Outflanking warwalkers on a doomed riptide. Works like a charm.

Tau do jump shoot jump, but they REALLY don't like it when you do the same to them (unless they seeker spam)
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Make sure you always move the Wave Serpent, no matter how small that movement may be.
    A vehicle has to have moved in its previous turn to gain the Holofield Save.
    Eldar Codex p.67.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12