BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Behind Enemy Lines + Saga of the Hunter

So my diabolical plan is to attach a Wolf Priest with Saga of the Hunter to a unit of Wolf Scouts and more than likely have them come in behind the gunlines I've been playing a lot recently. My question is whether since the Saga of the Hunter allows a char. to outflank if they're attached to a unit of Wolf Scouts do they gain the ability to outflank like them or cause the squad to have to outflank normally?

It's worse than that. The prevailing argument is that it can't happen. But this is one of those rules questions that leads to massive thread arguments because there are good arguments on both sides.

The question comes down to, does Saga of the Hunter mix with the Infiltrate/Scouts USR? Right now, by RAW, they don't. Separately both units can outflank, but as soon as you add the Wolf Priest to the Wolf Scouts they lose the ability to outflank (because they lose the Infiltrate/Scouts URS when the Independent Character joins the unit). It sounds strange, but people feel very strongly about this one.

Here's a rundown of the arguments and you can make up your own mind:

Argument #1: No.
    The Wolf Priest has the ability to outflank but does not have the Infiltrate or Scouts USRs. That means that as soon as the Wolf Priest joins the Wolf Scouts, the Wolf Scouts lose both the Infiltrate and Scouts USRs (BBB, p74).This means that although the Wolf Priest can outflank, the Wolf Scouts lose the ability to choose to outflank (i.e., they don't have the Infiltrate/Scouts USR anymore).

Argument #2: Yes.
    There is no "outflank" USR in the game, so the USR restrictions don't apply. Outflanking is a method of deployment, not a special rule. If any model in a unit can outflank, then the whole unit can outflank.

Personally, I think it's silly for the Wolf Scouts to lose the ability to outflank when joined by an Independent Character that can outflank. But it's a sticky situation and you should talk to the people in your local area until it's FAQed. I understand why GW didn't give Scouts to models with Saga of the Hunter, but it would've simplified things greatly.

But if the Wolf Scouts are able to outflank with the attached Wolf Priest, then they would be able to operate behind enemy lines.
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Chaplain

Argument #1: No.
    Stupid illogical bull****

Argument #2: Yes.
    More stupid illogical bull****, but makes a lot more sense gameplay-wise.
    There, I fixed that.

I suspect that the giving of the Scouts rule to the ICs with the saga will be part of the FAQ.

www.evildice40k.com

Chapter-Master

I would have to say that argument 1 is technically correct. There is no outflank USR, thus, the only time a unit may outflank is if it has a different rule that allows it to outflank. Since Scouts loose the rule that grants them outflank, and the Saga does not extend to the unit*, there is no way for the Scouts to outflank.

That said, I think it just makes sense to let them outflank together.

*I'm assuming that it doesn't anyways, I don't feel like looking it up. I've spent like, 9 hours straight either in class or doing homework, and have a brutal midterm** in an hour and a half. So sue me.

**The average score for the final in this class is often around 30-40%, before the curve, IIRC. The average of the last midterm was barely over 50%.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

“Behind enemy lines” that’s something that is not covered by “out flank” so the priest cannot come in with the scouts if they choose to come in on the opponent’s long table edge.

The RAW says that ANY IC that is with in 2" of a unit at the END of the movement phase "joins" that unit.

So don't put them together and pray they both come on at the same time and from the same board edge. Then move them on so that they with in 2” of the scouts at the end of the movement phase.

Also a unit doesn't "lose" an ability because a character joins them; they just can't use that ability so long as the IC is with them unless the IC has that ability as well and vice versa.

So the rub seems to be that the priest doesn’t have the “scouts” ability but has part of it. So the question becomes can you can use part of an ability when joined with a unit that some of the abilities but not all of them.

So scouts don't LOSE the ability “out flank” because the one of the abilities that is part of the "Scout" ability.

BOTH the priest AND the scouts have the "outflank" ability

The IC I think has move through cover so the scouts can use their move through cover as well. The priest does NOT have "infiltrate" (unless it’s under the Stealth USR) I’m not sure. But let’s say he doesn’t so then the scouts couldn’t use their infiltrate.

But the argument that scouts can’t outflank because they lose the scouts special rule is only partly right. They lose the use of all abilities that the joining IC doesn’t have.

But in this case both scouts and priest have the same ability so I don’t see why they can’t all outflank together.
    Last edited by MarshalAdamar; 11-22-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by mkerr View Post
    But if the Wolf Scouts are able to outflank with the attached Wolf Priest, then they would be able to operate behind enemy lines.
    I was going to challenge you on that but after looking at the wolf scouts entry under behind enemy lines it says. “If a wolf scout unit makes use of its ability to outflank"

So you are right, IF you say that the scouts do not "Lose" the scout USR all together and that they can use out flank if the priest has outflank then the "UNIT" can use behind enemy lines.

By George your right.
    Last edited by MarshalAdamar; 11-22-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarshalAdamar View Post
    Also a unit doesn't "loose" an ability because a character joins them; they just can't use that ability so long as the IC is with them unless the IC has that ability as well and vice versa.
    Nomenclature isn't too important here, the effect is the same. Not being able to use scout/infiltrate is effectively the same as loosing it for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshalAdamar View Post
    But the argument that scouts can’t outflank because they loose the scouts special rule is only partly right. The loose the use of all abilities that the joining IC doesn’t have.
    Unfortunately, no. If the Priest doesn't have the Scout or Infiltrate rule, the Wolf Scouts can't use their Scout or Infiltrate rule at all, by RAW. It doesn't matter if the Priest has "part of the rule". Priests do not have Scout/Infiltrate, thus the Wolf Scouts can't use their Scout/Infiltrate. At all.

However, I suspect that GW will fix this. Hopefully.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it (At least until the FAQ is released)

pg 75 of the rulebook: "Infiltrate also confers a special outflank move to units of infiltrators that are kept in reserve."

The unit cannot use infiltrate because the IC does not have the Infiltrate USR. But it keeps the "special outflank move" (which is separate from Infiltrate) and can outflank because the IC also has the "special outflank move".

I think RAI is pretty clear on this, so I'm willing to bend RAW slightly to allow the rules to function as they are supposed to. Otherwise, Saga of the Hunter would have absolutely 0 function in-game, and I doubt GW would release a new codex with non-functioning wargear.

Chapter-Master

It depends on the details of the way the IC and Units with USR's is worded. I don't have the BRB on me, so I can't check, but if the wording is right, then Lerra's argument might be right.

That said, I don't think it does, technically, off the top of my head.

Chapter-Master

Just checked the rulebook.

BRB pg 74 "These rules are also lost by a unit that is joined by an independent character that does not have the same special rule."

Priest doesn't have the Scouts/Infiltrate, thus Wolf Scouts loose their Scout/Infiltrate rule, thus they technically can't outflank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast