BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fly Lord

Wow, so a 50 Euro ticket got people into a giant painting competition.

Are we sure that even Forgeworld didn't show anything off?
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

First-Captain

nothing new that I noticed... just the Iron Hands and whatwastheotherone Relic Contemptors and the other stuff that was shown at the last GD...

the talk of Phil&Jerv was rather interesting...
    -Jerv "accidentally" confirmed Damnos as the next Warzones book, and after that it deviated rapidly from the original topic of Apocalypse to general 40k...
    -they commented in some detail on what they were and weren't planning to do in the future, like having around half a dozen other Warzones in the pipeline
    -they hinted that they might continue to sometimes put rules into the boxes, which opens the possibility of a designer doing something he just wants to do out of the regular release schedule (as an example they mentioned new Aspects, but that might have been prompted by my question to that effect...)
    -no clear answer on possible second wave releases/updates for existing models
    -one guy actually asked why there were so very few female characters in 40k, to general good-natured amusement - they said it was mainly because they have almost no women in their team, so they kind of fear that anything they might do could be involuntarily sexist, or something along those lines
    -Sisters of Battle are definitely in the works, but still some way off, according to Jerv
    -they do not plan to put out supplements for non-6th Ed Codices, purely for compatibility reasons - first they will update the 'dex, then there will be supplements (an approach most people in the room aggreed with)

Golden Demon had some brilliant models and some hard to understand judge decisions, as per usual - the Slayer Sword was obvious though this time, I doubt anyone in the room was surprised when that got announced...
    the Necrons from a few posts back actually took Armies on Parade, btw, although with some stiff competition, including the Ork Space Hulk that you can see in the link in another previous post

three PC games were on demo - Blood Bowl 2, Space Hulk (god that game looks absolutely atrocious, even worse live than in the trailer... I don't usually give too much about the graphics, but in that case it absolutely destroys the game for me! shame really...) and Talisman

All in all, it was definitely a fun day, but definitely not worth the cash they asked for it - unless they change something I most certainly won't be back next year!

Banned

Also a point is that there may be info, just that people aren't talking about it. I mean for the "regional" GDs how often are there multiple sources of detailed information? Not very often - GD AU had a ton of info about the then upcoming HH release online because I took the time to transcribe it all and share it. If I hadn't there would have been a few disjointed rumours here and there but nothing of much detail because the AU online contingent is quite small. Calling GD dead because nobody's feeling the overriding need to blog every minute conversation they have / overhear is a bit much, as it is a fair bit of effort.

And it's a sad indictment on our community that people are hating on other fans and their AoP / Demon entries not being good enough.

Thanks Tyrendian for the recap. Nicely done.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

First-Captain

Cheers Tyrendian

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    -one guy actually asked why there were so very few female characters in 40k, to general good-natured amusement - they said it was mainly because they have almost no women in their team, so they kind of fear that anything they might do could be involuntarily sexist, or something along those lines
    -Sisters of Battle are definitely in the works, but still some way off, according to Jerv
    Solution: Hire some more women. Plenty of female artists and writers out there, hell they have one in WD staff now. At least it is a case of 'we don't want to mess up' rather than 'Women have no place in 40k' which is a distressingly common sentiment in other geek areas (video games & comics).

So another confirmation that SoB are in the works, which people will no doubt find some way to twist into meaning they will be abandoned completely.

Thanks for the write-up Tyrendian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Also a point is that there may be info, just that people aren't talking about it. I mean for the "regional" GDs how often are there multiple sources of detailed information? Not very often - GD AU had a ton of info about the then upcoming HH release online because I took the time to transcribe it all and share it. If I hadn't there would have been a few disjointed rumours here and there but nothing of much detail because the AU online contingent is quite small. Calling GD dead because nobody's feeling the overriding need to blog every minute conversation they have / overhear is a bit much, as it is a fair bit of effort.

And it's a sad indictment on our community that people are hating on other fans and their AoP / Demon entries not being good enough.
    We appreciated your efforts. Add that sad indictment to the list with the rest... I still find it incredible that in an age of cheap and abundant video technology only one GD seminar ever has been recorded and shared.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Battle-Brother

[URL="http://pinsofwar.com/warhammer-golden-daemon-winners-germany-games-day/"]5 Fantastic Miniatures from the 2013 Games Day in Germany[/URL]
    Share your best miniature and wargaming pictures and videos at www.pinsofwar.net

Librarian

Some pictures

[url]http://latabernadelaurana.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/eventos-analisis-del-games-day-alemania.html[/url]
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Default What I remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Put any news, and pictures in here folks.
    I did not see any as yet unannounced models at this Games Day. In the ForgeWorld displays where some newly announced Heresy Stuff including the Magos Dominus (which is awesome), and the Castallax (also awesome, but smaller than I expected). Absolutely no sign of anything new and Space Mariney.

As mentioned before, Phil Kelly and Jervis Johnson did an Apocalypse session, from which I recall the following;

- Four War Zones are already essentially done. Armageddon we have, Pandorax from the collectors edition will be released stand-alone (no date given). Damnos is up soon, and Phil all but said its coming with Space Marines. The forth one was not further clarified. However, they stated they would like to be dropping a relevant War Zone along with each Codex, and they certainly weren't limiting it to the four they have.

- We should expect more Codex Supplements, but Phil pretty much ruled out supplements for codices that are not yet at 6th edition. His example was Orcs and Red Sunz.

- Jervis also said the reason that they had avoided female minatures was to avoid doing anything "titilating".

- In regard to the eBooks/iPad stuff they seemed well aware that iPad only is insufficent. There is a whole team dedicated to ePublishing now. Jervis said they saw ePublishing as a way to avoid "dead tree costs", and much more importantly to avoid the lengthy lead time on phyical publishing.

- Any question that probed about dates or specifics was politely deflected.

Also went to the BL event, with Chris Wraight and Nick Kyle. "Scars" which has just started as an epub serial will be released stand-alone in February. Nick complemented Chris on his treatment of the White Scars, saying he'd done a great job in giving them a very different character to Space Wolves, despite the similar "fericous tribal" vibe thing. Dan Abnets upcoming book, "Forgotten Empire", features Guilliman and Sanguinius on the cover. Its about what the Ultramarines where doing that kept them away from Terra - surprising new aspect to the story arc, apparantly. They also mentioned that where previous books tended to be about one legion, new stuff is focusing more on one event. (There was other info about the release schedule for existing books in to German).

As for the overall quality of the event, the reduction in numbers of tickets dead make the event less crowded. FW queues were shorted in the morning, and no queuing in the afternoon. The "Bring and Battle" tables were deserted, but anyway in a vaulted cellar too dark to play. Armies On Parade entries ranged in quality from sublime to frankly ridiculous, but all good fun. Its always fun to look at the Golden Demon entries, and the Slayer Sword winner was just insanely great. €50 is indeed a bit pricey, but I'm sure I'll be back there next year.

Citizen.

Fly Lord

Also - this showed up:

Forgeworld Horus Heresy Vindicator

Attachment 4588
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast