BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think McNeill just has a tendency to write in a somewhat over the top manner. Not that it is always a bad thing. As opposed to say Abnett or ADB, McNeill's characters come across more like comic book characters to me. However, if you want to talk about a Mary Sue in AE, the Raven Guard character was rather ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon View Post
    That is a fleuentliy speaker of the eldar-tounge, that is a bit too much - for every primarch i think. Perhaps in the imperiums libaries there are plenty of books and electronical knowledge about the eldar-race?!
    Actually, I believe that would make him the second primarch to speak the Eldar tongue; Vulkan has been portrayed as able to communicate with Commorite Eldar in their native language, presumably due to their frequent raids and activity on Nocturne.

Couple of tidbits --
    -There's a scene in Fulgrim pg 403-404, where Horus talks about sending Peturabo to burn Olympia "In my name". It's thin, but between that and a couple of other mentions, it seems as though Horus actually orchestrated some of the situations that led to the Iron Warriors' turning to Chaos, in an attempt to push them over.

-The Raven Guard didn't seem too over-the-top, I mean 1) those who managed to fight their way out of the Dropsite would likely be the cream of the crop of their respective Legions; 2) Fulgrim was kinda just standing there asking for it during the theatre scene; 3) Corax is known to be able to become effectively invisible, and Legionaires are able to inherit the traits of their Primarchs.

-I have no problem believing Perturabo capable of designing incredibly complex and detailed devices and bits of architecture; Guilliman wrote a book that lets you choose-your-own-adventure your way through any combat situation imaginable, and Perturabo is just as skillful, just in different arenas.

-Finally, I personally liked the scene with the IWs playing what amounts to 40k. What else are Astartes going to do for fun? It's nearly impossible for them to get drunk, they can't have sex, and seeing as their vessels have finite cargo space, they will eventually run out of lapping powder and expendable training servitors.

What really bugged me in Angel Exterminatus was the dumbass Thamatica. Hey, let's conduct dangerous, high-energy experiments while we're sneaking around a huge traitor fleet. What could possibly go wrong? I understand that for the sake of the plot, something had to happen to give away their position, it just seemed like somewhere along the line Thamatica was the victim of the dreaded Squig Brain Transplant.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Guilliman wrote a book that lets you choose-your-own-adventure your way through any combat situation imaginable
    This has to be the best thing I've read all day. I got the hilarious image of a chapter master thumbing his way through it, holding a thumb on the previous page to see what the result was.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Aegwymourn View Post
    This has to be the best thing I've read all day. I got the hilarious image of a chapter master thumbing his way through it, holding a thumb on the previous page to see what the result was.
    Haha, same here.

Well put DWest. Well put.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

You, Sir, have made my day.

"Oh man! Every single mention of these 'Tyranid' buggers leads directly to a bad end! I had to, er, 'reaffirm the logic of my choices' clear back to M40 to get a safe path."
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12