BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

And you still lose objective missions against a competent opponent. I mean, sure, it might do well in small flgs tournaments. You won't go far at a major tournament, though.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Also consider terrain, not all flgs have a great complement of terrain imho. I'm not talking, a few sparse trees a building here and there, I'm talking about big LOS blocking pieces, stuff that prevents you from having LOS. A prime example is BoLS battle report #171. Look at that gorgeous table.

Most tables probably look like BoLS BR # 149 (no offense to those in the BR). Lots of open spaces. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how a game goes when on one side you have a shooting army and on the other, you don't have a shooty army that relies on it's mechanized transports to get it across the table.

But terrain is one of the most dominating factors of this game. Too little los blocking and you might as well play on an open table against a shooting army, you'd at least be better focused to get there, than get distracted by going for cover.

Chapter-Master

I'm definitely of the opinion that you can almost never have too much terrain on the table. 25% isn't your goal, it's your minimum. It just makes things that much more tactically challenging and interesting. Without terrain, or with inadequate terrain, the game is little more than bumrushing your opponent, or sitting back and shooting while your opponent bumrushes you. There might be a refused flank in there, maybe.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

I share your opinion. More terrain forces armeis to move for better positioning. Which imho, typically leads to a more dynamic game, and there's nothing bad about having a more dynamic game.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Angelofblades View Post
    I share your opinion. More terrain forces armeis to move for better positioning. Which imho, typically leads to a more dynamic game, and there's nothing bad about having a more dynamic game.
    Seconded. Moving models is more fun than just rotating them and rolling dice.

Re OP: The weaknesses are several, multiple cc / short range units with cover or invuls will put the pressure on and collapse a monkey unit. The army suffers a serious lack of manoeuvrability so can only react. Coteaz can only cover a 12" bubble so deepstriking / drop pods will test that list seriously.
    If I'd seen the list before the tourney and you were still wedded to it then I'd suggest maxing out your troops slots with smaller units of monkeys so you can target more than 3 units per turn.
    I'd be interested to see how you fare against Raven or Dual-wing. Or Crons.
    And you will lose objective games with this list, odd number of objectives, opponent places first and camps. Done

Brother-Captain

We had 50% of the board covered in terrain (cityscape) and I managed to table him. I'm not an idiot. I'm well aware of the weaknesses that my army presented in the OP has, and I took steps to negate those weaknesses. Firstly, I always prefer to deploy second - even if I won the roll off. This gives me a clear idea of what kind of player I am up against in regards to his playing style. Is he/she aggressive? Is he/she conservative? Does my opponent like fast moving game pace or have a foot-sloggers army?

Next, when I deploy this particular army, I assign them sectors and fire lanes. I never deviate from these unless the situation merits it, but with as much firepower as each squad of Jokaeros can pump out, it hasn't been an issue. I also take advantage of placing my units in terrain cover or 2nd to 3rd story levels, getting the higher ground when possible. Just by looking at the terrain I know where an opponent will have to move through in order to approach either my army or an objective. These kill zones are mine.

My next opponent is an IG player who likes to do Drop Troops from vendettas. I'll write up the results again when I play. Cheers!
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Justice View Post
    If I'd seen the list before the tourney and you were still wedded to it then I'd suggest maxing out your troops slots with smaller units of monkeys so you can target more than 3 units per turn.
    I had thought about that, but I prefer a higher rate of fire in a single phase of shooting than a scattering of 3 shots here and 4 shots there. This deployment has worked best for me in the past.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

One issue

Once the space monkeys pick a weapon they have to stick with it. I don't think they can keep changing like obliteratiors do

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Chapter-Master

They can switch weapon.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    They can switch weapon.
    Correct. They are not limited the same way that Oblits are -- which makes me wonder why more players don't take them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast