BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: If 40K had a new, non Marine army, which of these options do you like best??

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mechanicus

47 41.96%
  • Arbites

11 9.82%
  • Exodites

11 9.82%
  • Genestealer Cult

15 13.39%
  • New race modelled on Cthulhu/Old Gods

10 8.93%
  • New race modelled on Reapers from Mass Effect

4 3.57%
  • New race, Dalek-inspired: with no humanoid features

8 7.14%
  • exported from WHFB IN SPACE.

14 12.50%
  • A unified faction comprised of existing races

4 3.57%
  • Other - specify and explain, please!

21 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I clicked on other, but it would also be a mash up of races working together. I have 2 ideas I want to share. First being enslavers, allowing you to take different units from different books as choices. The second being Rogue trader crews, which can be made up of Orcs, Eldar, Kroot, Humans and what else other species that happens to be on the ship at the time.

If GW were to add a race, I'd think it would have to be something completely new, like how they introduced Tau back in 3rd edition. From a design standpoint, I doubt they would stray significantly from humanoid, as they already have an army whose design features large creatures, and the construction of basic models that don't even have legs becomes tricky from a design of sprues and bases. The supposed army would probably also need to have a unique technology appearance and design, otherwise it would be too similar to what is already out there.

I could see something with a vaguely reptilian or insectoid appearance. The vehicles would need to either have a unique locomotion or a very unique shape.

Librarian

In order

Squats
    Arbites
    Mechanicus with a Dark Mechanicus in codex that has rules for both factions
    Genestealer cult so Nids have a ally
    The Old races coalition - yes everything from Slaan, to some of the weird races mentioned in the HH series (Alpha Legion Primarchs met a few of them)
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

If GW were to add a race, I'd think it would have to be something completely new, like how they introduced Tau back in 3rd edition. From a design standpoint, I doubt they would stray significantly from humanoid, as they already have an army whose design features large creatures, and the construction of basic models that don't even have legs becomes tricky from a design of sprues and bases. The supposed army would probably also need to have a unique technology appearance and design, otherwise it would be too similar to what is already out there.

I could see something with a vaguely reptilian or insectoid appearance. The vehicles would need to either have a unique locomotion or a very unique shape.
    Proper machines, rather than just metal skeletons?

AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chaplain

on the subject of mech I've heard a bit that forge world will being doing a dark mech/mech codex sometime this year next year

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    From a design standpoint, I doubt they would stray significantly from humanoid, as they already have an army whose design features large creatures
    A second non-humanoid faction would step on the Nids toes, but it's ok to have SEVEN humanoid alien variants?

and the construction of basic models that don't even have legs becomes tricky from a design of sprues and bases.
    How does it become tricky exactly? There are flying bases for floating creatures, amorphous creatures are usually flat on the underside and things like worms/snakes seem to work fine as has been proven. Also Cthulhu Wars, Troll Forged and others have been getting by just fine with their model design. I would also argue that this is a game that has many non-humanoid forms in it already - they just take the form of things like vehicles and fliers, and I don't believe Valkyries, Monoliths or Land Raiders have any model problems? Not ones I am aware of anyway - but happy to be proven wrong

I could see something with a vaguely reptilian or insectoid appearance.
    A reptillian race? you mean like the Sslyth? which happen to be legless. I'd love to see the Sslyth expanded upon - even if it's just a DE codex expansion in the future.
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 08-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Librarian

That's an easy one to answer we need to either do squats or demieurg problem solved. you get a faction that has support easily enough there is established fluff for them already. they already have allies set up via same fluff. there is also the fact that who doesn't want to see dwarves in space? i mean i know i'd get a swarf army in a heartbeat if they had one in space... i mean seriously look at how many people still play them using codex x and y to represent them....

Scout

I'd really like to see Space Skaven, i don't play skaven in WFB or anything but even with my limited imagination it could be pretty cool.

Also glad that, well so far at least, nobody has voted to mix universes **keeps fingers crossed**

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    A second non-humanoid faction would step on the Nids toes, but it's ok to have SEVEN humanoid alien variants?

How does it become tricky exactly? There are flying bases for floating creatures, amorphous creatures are usually flat on the underside and things like worms/snakes seem to work fine as has been proven. Also Cthulhu Wars, Troll Forged and others have been getting by just fine with their model design. I would also argue that this is a game that has many non-humanoid forms in it already - they just take the form of things like vehicles and fliers, and I don't believe Valkyries, Monoliths or Land Raiders have any model problems? Not ones I am aware of anyway - but happy to be proven wrong

A reptillian race? you mean like the Sslyth? which happen to be legless. I'd love to see the Sslyth expanded upon - even if it's just a DE codex expansion in the future.
    I didn't mean my comment to be controversial, or against or disparaging to the idea. Call it poor word choice. Risky might be a better phrasing. Or, tricky to do properly. As much as I would like to see more 40K factions that are markedly different from what they have, I suppose what I really meant was that I find it difficult to imagine the design studio deciding to do an outright release of a new army that follows a design to the aesthetic of horror-machines or Cthulu-styled, etc. They seem more inclined to work elements of those designs into other things that are invariably Imperium/Daemon derived. GW certainly has the money and production capability to do anything they decide upon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast