BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default WarpSmith and curse the vehicle (master of mechanisms) question.

In answering someone on another forum just now I realised that the Warpsmith has a nasty little trick up his sleeve.

OK he has only 2 wounds, Toughness 4, and a low WS of 4. But he has 2 attacks, plus another 2 for his Mechatendrils, and if he uses his Power axe, another attack. You can add on a few expensive upgrades to make him more potent, or live longer like a Daemon weapon, Mark of Tzeentch, and a Sigil of Corruption, but I was thinking of his special abilities. Shatter defenses is good, as is his ability to repair vehicles on a 5+.

I thought about the vehicle curse ability and how weak it can be because it only has a range of 18". Thankfully all he has to do is hit the target, not make an armour penetration or remove a hull point.

Here is the special bonus whammy that can help him and the unit he has joined. The rules for his vehicle curse do not specify whether it is just ranged weapons or ranged and close combat. The ruling actually says "all the vehicle's weapons have the Gets Hot special rule until the end of its next turn".

Based on this, I made the assumption and thought of this scenario. A Space Marine Dreadnought has landed via drop pod this turn and fired normally. Your turn comes around and you successfully curse it by rolling to hit it. I assume the enemy does not get a save against it as you did not remove make an armour penetration roll, but either way, lets assume that if you get a save, it failed.

Now in the Dreadnought's next turn, it moves closer, shoots at you with get's hot weapons that could cause to to lose valuable hull points. It then charges, and somehow manages to survive the overwatch fire - just - the melta gun rolled another glancing hit only. Now onto its close combat attacks. These are also get's hot weapons, which you need to roll for and avoid them causing more glancing hits. The only thing I can not work out is whether it would be one roll for each weapon (such as a dreadnaught close assault weapon, Blood Angel Talons), or whether you apply the get's hot to each attack made by the dreadnought's weapons. Any 1s you roll , you then have to avoid rolling a 1,2 or 3 or lose a valuable hull point.

That could be nasty.

It is not guaranteed by any means, in fact it has less odds than a lot of other tactics you may normally use to handle pesky deep striking dreadnoughts that land in your deployment area. It is a funny and quirky way to do it though.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Veteran-Sergeant

id roll for each and every attack. thats gets hot for you!

I agree. If you roll two 1's with a single plasma gun, you suffer two wounds, so if you roll 4 1's with your DCCWs, you lose 4 hull points.

Librarian

I got a reply on the other website, and it just shattered the whole idea I had of Gets hot for close combat weapons. Damn.

It seems that under the special rules - Gets hot is for shooting weapons, and there is nothing that mentions non shooting weapons. Only shooting weapons that need to roll to hit, and those like blast and template weapons that do not need to roll to hit.

So ignore the whole idea. I thought I had a fun, and random use for the Warpsmiths vehicle curse ability.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Why so it does. Right there in the first sentence: "When firing a weapon that Gets Hot ..." (emphasis added). Can't fire a close combat weapon.

Chaplain

I agree with Nabterayl. No "gets hot" for CC weapons. Anyway if you have a WS around, why not simply shoot that dread with your melta?

The machine curse will work well when used against exterminator leman russ and the like.
    Peace through superior Firepower!