BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Everyone keeps adding characters...
    I think DC should up the ante and add characters to the DC, too.
    I thought Lemartes was a character or at least and upgrade character.

Death Korps of Krieg Death Rider Platoon (1 FA Choice)
    Command Squad, with Commissar with Power Axe, Squadron Commander with Demolition Charge. (165 points)
    6x 10-man Death Rider Squadrons (160x6 points)
    So well under the 2,800 points, 1 slot on the Force organisation charge. Assuming a) we get the charge with 5 of the 7 squads, (highly likely, as I'd probably lose one to Plasma fire, and I'd use another one to draw the charge), then that's 31 attacks/squad (4-5 squads), WS4, S5, I5, AP3 on the charge, plus 16 from the command Squad at those stats, and another one at WS4 S4, I1, AP2 from the commissar (and lobbing in the demo-charge on the way in for good measure). Should do enough.

Otherwise the squadron of 3x Executioners with Plasma Cannon Sponsons (don't even need the pintle-mounted guns for this) should do enough

Chapter-Master

Including ICs in a unit is one thing, taking an entire army to kill the DC really doesn't make sense in this context.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I've been toying around with making this build in my head and worked up a couple of variations on army builder for an 1850 point list. 30 DC with a combination of power fists, power weapons, a couple of infernus pistols, jump packs... Then a DC dread in a drop pod to fill out my second "Troops" choice with a few points left over for a real scoring unit.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    As for normal Marines, take Land Raiders and THSS Terminators. Tau have trouble dealing with Land Raiders. Also, Drop Pods are decent, just be careful to spread out a lot because you will get hit with stupidly cheap Interceptor. But that's actually not that good of a deal for the Tau, because they won't get Markerlight support then so they won't be denying cover and hitting at BS5+ and all that crap. Play it smart, and it still won't be a fun game because Tau are such a terribly designed codex, but you can still win.

Thanks for the advice DarkLink. Its pretty much what I have doing... Land Raider Redeemer with THSS termies and Librarian with divination power, Pod of Stern Guard vets with combi melta's, Danta and Sanguinary guard with a couple of extra melta pistols, Devastator squad or two and finally a couple of scout squads or small assault squads for grabbing objectives. It can work... Just getting bored with having to take pretty much the same build each game. I miss 5th! In my fairly uncompetitive gaming circle I could take loads of different builds and get a good fight. I still lose sleep thinking about what happened to my poor Assault Marine based army the first time I played the new Tau Codex. Arse kicked does not even come close!

Maybe I'll try a DC of doom charge in the next game... It will at least be fun. Will just have to keep shouting 'ZULU' and charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob821 View Post
    Who can beat Blood Angel Death Company? Not in a fair fight but for the total cost of a maxed out unit? I worked out a full squad of 30 with thunder hammers, plasma pistols, jump packs and Lemartus comes to 2850 points!

Is there anything that can beat this? Even forge world? The highest I know of is 2500 for a warlord titan!
    Prince Yriel.

Veteran-Sergeant

Has anyone run the number on Lord Calgar with a full 3 Honor Guard squads, complete with 3 champions weilding hammers and lasers, everyone else has relic blades, and Chapter Banner. This comes out to 1850pts

Hmmm, assuming they had a full squad on the charge and didn't die to Overwatch in droves, a max unit of Bloodletters with a Champion with a Greater Aetherblade might do a fair job against the Death Company being all AP3 and a few AP2 at I4, though the DC FNP would help them survive to some extent. With the Champ, that would come to 205 points. Add in a Herald of Khorne with a Locus of Rage or Hatred and they'd do even better, and still only be like 335 points.

If the Death Company got the charge, and plasma pistoled on the way in, then it would be different story (but if the Bloodletters were Grimoired, and Forewarned ahead of time too,the a 2+ invul save would help!).

As for CSM, 10 Khorne Terminators with lightning-claws with an Icon of Wrath and Kharn would also kill many DC jerks on the charge, or even if charged. The Hatred and Shred AP3, plus Kharn's AP2 hitting on 2s w rerolls in the first round, that would have to be pretty good. Such a unit would be like 615 points.

That's what I came up with for Chaos. Not sure but it seems like a crap ton of Possessed with the random Vorpal Claws roll could work too, but only if they got that random boon....and they could be Grimoired too

First-Captain

I was gonna say Aun'va with body guard, but remembered that fist are ap 2 and not 1. If they was ap 1 Aun'va would win over time in combat.

If we looking at infinite turns I would say St. Celestine would technically win. Since she can keep coming back and never die she would win. If you count her down the first time than no, but under unlimited time conditions than she would win and under 150 points.

A Furioso Dreadnought is another option, but the dc sould win. If the dreadnought charged in combat first I think it would have a good chance of possibly winning.
    Last edited by chicop76; 09-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Bring it.
    They fact that this is even a question, that 750 points could kill 2000+ should tell you a few things...

-1st DC are either pointed well or overcosted...(I tend to say they are over costed especially since they lost I5 due to FC)

-2nd lets look at a normal grey knight before we even look at a DC marine...one is 19 points, with the ability to be I6 for 21 points...This does not take into account the cost of one of the best if not the best assault weapons in the game being the Psycannon...then lets add a psycic power that would keep the DC marine from deep striking next to it so board control...then lets add one of the few stacking powers in the game with hammer hand...oh and lets not forget that that I6 weapon is an AP3 weapon and a str 5 storm bolter...

Or

-for 20 points you get a 2A assault marine with FNP and relentless with +2 attacks when it charges. A power weapon costs 10 points. a jump pack costs 15 points. So after upgrades you have an assault marine that may get lucky and kill the GK with a hammer of wrath attack or die to its AP3 weapon...

Then we have a paladin which costs less than the kitted out DC as talked about in the 1st post, has a 2+ 5++ or 2+ 4++ or even 2+ 2++ and with an apoc has 5+ FNP...

I would say that grey knights are the single most undercosted codex ever...can they be beaten Of course, at 2000 points they enjoy eating lance fire from 6 ravagers and 9 venoms and i dont feel bad about it because i hate them that much...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast