BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Looking for special rules campaign advice

My friends and I are playing a special rules ongoing map based campaign in between normal gaming. It has actually turned out to be very fun.
    The down and dirty basics of it turn it into a smaller scale tactical game (changes in army structure) while still following the core game rules.

Basically, each opponent can have one 500 point army list for each 3 map tiles they own. They can attack any adjacent square to one they own to claim it.
    There are some fun little game modifying templates that are applied to each tile, no matter which scenario is rolled, and a handful of other rules to help balance things a bit, but they are not of concern atm.

The major rules change is that the army is not built to the “normal” percentage requirements. The percentage of core/special/etc is changed to the number of individual models in the list rather than points (Example, 25% of your models core, 50% special, etc). There is also no minimum unit size.

This allows for all sorts of exploit-y and unbalanced play, but as everyone is able to do it, and since it is meant to be a distraction from normal gaming, it has proven very fun. Finding little rules loopholes that make best use of these rules changes is encouraged.

I am changing over to Lizardmen. I know there will be at least one other lizardmen list playing as well as one deamons list.

For instance, a legal list could be.....

A Saurus Oldblood Lord with Fencers blades and the armor of destiny riding a Carnosaur and 3Skinks. (25% lord and 75% core models)
    Don't know how adaptable that is... but it would be legal under these rules. You have to assume they will be coming with something just as crazy.
    I think the daemons player is doing a khorn demon prince and like 2 followers.

Then again, you could build out a full 500 point list of 80 skinks if you wanted to.

Anyone familiar enough with their new rules that anything stands out at you? I am new to lizards in general.
    I begin my plotting now
    Last edited by BrunoPJones; 08-27-2013 at 08:49 PM.

I'm inclined to think spamming little horde guys would win the most no?

Otherwise it does sound like a pretty cool idea. Reminds me of my fav fantasy battle report from WD with an 'army' of 8 or so empire heroes against 1500points of chaos (chaos won, boo :P)

The change from point % to model % opens up some pretty broad abuses by particular books. For starters I'm thinking of Skaven. Here's a valid 500 point list that would dominate the one you posted

Level 2 Warlock Engineer w/Condenser (Warp Lightning and hopefully Death Frenzy or Crack's Call)
    40 Skaven Slaves
    Doomwheel x2

Warlock goes into the slaves. Ordinarily this would be a no-no as then the rest of the skaven couldn't fire at whatever is in combat with them but Doomwheel's don't care about that anyway. 2x Doomwheels can easily kill off any monsters on the table.

As far as the new lizard book I like the Carnosaur idea. For me though, I"d probably go with a handful of Saurus Warriors backed up by a couple Stegadons. Put sharpened horns on one of the Stegadons to help deal with opponent's monsters
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com