BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Kinda Scared to start IG...

I have just ordered some upgrade packs from FW for my yet-to-be-started IG army. The reason I have been holding out for so many years to do them is because I fear that once I start, there will just be so much to collect that I will possibly go insane.

Can anybody reinforce the value and rewarding nature of collecting IG, or is it just another habit and I would be better off financially getting into drugs and alcohol?

Brother-Captain

IG is awesome.

Chaplain

I guess that settles it.

GW here I come.

Chaplain

Guard is fun. Here's my experience:

Once you have your basics (which can be a few guys I'll admit...) it's easy to add more.

A minimum platoon, a chimera and a squad of vets is 35 infantry models, 3 HW bases and a tank. That's your first 500 points, roughly, (with a commie lord or psyker) and it seems like a lot compared to a marine army of the same points value. But the thing is, once you've got those 35 dudes and their chimera, you don't need 35 dudes and a chimera for every 500 points after that. I painted my first 500 pts. in a month or two.

All it takes to get to much bigger armies after that is tanks, tanks and more tanks, and maybe some more infantry if you feel like it. And bazillions of guardsmen isn't a problem to collect and paint because if that's what you want it's probably because you LIKE collecting and painting bazillions of guardsmen - and then where's the problem? Mech builds won't be much more model intensive than a marine army, and are competitive.

I'd say guard may take longer to get up and running in the early stages that some other armies, depending on how quickly you build and paint, but it's nothing too serious and after that it's just like any other army.

Librarian

Well, it is right up there with drugs and alcohol as far as expensive debilitating habits go, but it really is quite rewarding. The Guard is one of the most characterful armies in the game, for example if you love military history they offer endless chances to play that out.

It took me a long time to convince myself to start my Guard army, and I have built it up very slowly to its current (huge) size. The new codex has some advantages for you starting out, you can begin with a compact playable force of HQ and Hardened Veteran squads. It may not exactly dominate on the table-top, but it is an entirely functional list that can compete.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Abbess Sanctorum

You can try making a mechanized army if you want to have fewer models. Multiple chimeras can really reduce your model count without reducing your army's power. And then a few tanks to go along with it, and maybe some sentinels as well...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Ig is probably the most expensive 40k army... Do it up! I have a metal IG army and its rewarding to hear comments like "wow not cadians!". You can never have too much IG either! FOR THE EMPEROR!!!
    letsagetabitarockin!

Chaplain

It will be fun until you get bored with winning all the time. Then you will do what the other guard players do and nerf your lists on purpose by "experimenting" with sub-optimal lists like foot-slogging ones. Eventually you come full circle and play the same boring list every other guard player has, and your one Vendetta wins almost every objective game you have for you for the rest of your life.

So yeah, it can be pretty fun.

www.evildice40k.com

I started my army in January and its nearly finished. Sit down and decide what you want to do. Once you have that plan, stick to it. I decided that once Ive finished what Ive got, thats it, no more.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

In my ongoing 40k questionnaire people have so far voted IG the most competitive army in the game. The lowest score out of 16 that anyone has voted for them so far has been a 9. So most people consider IG to be a very dangerous opponent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast