BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Templar View Post
    I have just ordered some upgrade packs from FW for my yet-to-be-started IG army. The reason I have been holding out for so many years to do them is because I fear that once I start, there will just be so much to collect that I will possibly go insane.

Can anybody reinforce the value and rewarding nature of collecting IG, or is it just another habit and I would be better off financially getting into drugs and alcohol?

DT, get some IG, stay away from drugs and alcohol. Once you start on drugs and alcohol it's a down hill skid. First come the drugs and alcohol, then you find yourself working in a topless bar, living with a couple of strippers. They wreck your car, drink your alcohol, do your drugs, steal your money, and run off together because they have decided that they both like girls better. By this time you will be heartbroken, without a car, broke, and wishing for the good old days of Mountain Dew and plastic army men. Skip the pain and drama, buy some Moutain Dew and roll some dice.

* The above story is stricly hypothetical and never happened to me......really......atleast not lately.
    Last edited by crazyredpraetorian; 11-20-2009 at 04:18 AM.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

I've collected a few large armies in the past, but non are as rewarding as my guard. There's just so much possibility with them. Grit your teeth and get stuck in mate.

Into guard? Check my blog - http://corbaniaprime.blogspot.com

I might be a little insane...I actually just started an IG army last month. The flexibility in an IG army is amazing, you can easily design an army based on fluffy themes or a competitive alpha strike list.

The strength of the IG is in numbers, spamming heavy tanks/artillery or even throwing more meat (troops) into the grinder. That said,building an IG army is expensive, (looks at my valkyrie) I think IG win prize for the most money to least amount of points model, ~$50 for 100points! ( the chimera is pretty expensive too, ~$30 for 55pts).

All in all, IG is very rewarding. The initial shock of all those plastic sprues quickly fades when you start building them.

I'm in the process of building (or rather painting atm cause roughly 3k are built thansk to tanks galore) an IG army based on FW traitors.

call me about "expensive" guard. those guys cost the same as cadians + ~25pound for resin upgrades for every 10 men.

then put them on the table, well painted and all is reward.

so YES guard are rewarding and are as good a money sink as drugs & alcohol. the good point about them is that if you want to quit you can ebay them and get some moeny back or at worst just trash them. with a ruined lifer you cannot do that!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredpraetorian View Post
    DT, get some IG, stay away from drugs and alcohol. Once you start on drugs and alcohol it's a down hill skid. First come the drugs and alcohol, then you find yourself working in a topless bar, living with a couple of strippers. They wreck your car, drink your alcohol, do your drugs, steal your money, and run off together because they have decided that they both like girls better. By this time you will be heartbroken, without a car, broke, and wishing for the good old days of Mountain Dew and plastic army men. Skip the pain and drama, buy some Moutain Dew and roll some dice.

* The above story is stricly hypothetical and never happened to me......really......atleast not lately.
    If there are Strippers invovled, don't you at least need to give Drugs and Alcohol some consideration????

Brother-Captain

If you want an expensive and debilitating vice, look into [URL="http://www.bnhblog.blogspot.com"]Blackjack & Hookers[/URL].

Brother-Sergeant

I love the Imperial Guard. Enough said.

Veteran-Sergeant

I have busting a gut to finish a space marine army and now I am just about ready to start my guard army. I've written an army list with a few variable options and I've got 90% of the models in boxes ready to go. I am very much intimidated by the amount of work in front of me. My local store manager and a few mates have reassured me to some degree by suggesting how washes and dry brushing enable you to produce effective tanks surprisingly quickly. I hope that it proves easier that painting yellow trim on power armour. (I am sick of power armour).

I don't know about you but I am really struggling to decide upon a strong camo scheme that can be reproduced easily across the army while looking good.

On a side note re the cost of guard---- , I do like to drink fine wines and smoke quality cigars whilst painting my plastic crack - combining to make particularly expensive 'me time.' If only I could find a way to introduce strippers into that equation for the complete experience - but I fear that would be logistocaly difficult and a tad extravagant.

Veteran-Sergeant

@ PostWarFolk:

....and the guard loves you too.

Guard was my first and is my favorite army. I've been dabbling in Blood Angels a little bit but they don't even come close to getting the attention that my guard get.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast