BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Banned

[URL="http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/joehildebrand/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/are_you_a_true_sydneysider_take_the_test_and_find_ out/"]Guide to living in Sydney[/URL].

Where are you moving from?

Chaplain

my good friend what you need is the trusty anti-lawyer kit that comes free to all men with enough balls to use it. Its called a reptile license and a pet croc or snake or spider if you are feeling different, I will never forget the first time I saw my mates GF's face when she walks in and his bet snakes on the floor snacking with us :') good time and bloody good snake wouldn't ever hurt us or anyone at that (it's non-venomous so it can't XD well unless it gets on your body in that case your screwed) but she freaked so hard and still thinks we are crazy

Brother-Captain

Talking

Moving from England.
    Technically I'm coming on a working holiday, but my wife's Australian and once she gets back there I doubt she'll want to return.
    I'm already fully prepared for the fact that we're never coming back, in fact provided I don't hate it in the first few months I'll be filling out my Immigration forms with a grin on my face. I've wanted out of England for about 5 years now, and she paints such a rose-tinted view of Aus I'm already 100% sold (once i'd done some nostalgia mitigating research of course).
    Where's good to get a game in Sydney then? We're headed for the Marsfield / Ryde area (she's got a nursing job there), so I'll be looking for opponents and a D&D (or any other P&P) group asap!
    Also, realistically what non-human things are going to try and kill me in Sydney? Mrs downplays it, mates i know who've been tell horror stories, therefore assume it's middle ground. e.g. 1-2 deadly spider / snake encounters per annum (mostly spider) and listen out for the shark sirens.

Love the Guide BTW, sounds like being a Londoner.
    Last edited by Kaptain Badrukk; 09-02-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Banned

Well you'll be just down the road (more or less) from the Parramatta bunker and there are a few clubs around for wargaming. P&P I can't say, but there are game stores around you'd be able to investigate at.

Realistically in that area? None. Huntsmen are common but generally not lethal and very, very rarely attack people. Snakes are far less common as the browns migrate and with the expansion of western Sydney they don't have the open land to move through to get to the Ryde area. I've had maybe 6 snake encounters in my life, and most of those were non-venomous kinds. I was surprised to find redbacks as not only were they making webs on my bookcase but I haven't seen any for many years.

Though keep your gum trees well maintained as they fall over a lot and drop very large limbs randomly. They can also explode in fires, which this year will probably be a bad year for.

Brother-Captain

OK, so to summarise. Fauna ok, flora(as yet not on my radar) bad!
    Oh, and fire, fire bad.
    And Magpies I'm told.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Banned

It does depend - I mean my house almost got a large tree through it once, and I know people who have had large dents put in their cars by falling branches, but lethality is generally played up. That said you do need to be prepared, but where you're moving is basically the middle of suburbia so you're basically fine. Probably more to worry about from on of Sydney's [URL="http://www.australiasevereweather.com/photography/photos/2007/1210jd03.jpg"]epic storms[/URL] than the plants or animals.

Don't know about maggies - of all the various animals that have attacked me over the years they're not on the list

[URL="http://youknowyouareaustralianwhen.tumblr.com/"]Another very useful[/URL] (or bewildering) guide to Australia.
    Last edited by Gotthammer; 09-02-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    It does depend - I mean my house almost got a large tree through it once, and I know people who have had large dents put in their cars by falling branches, but lethality is generally played up. That said you do need to be prepared, but where you're moving is basically the middle of suburbia so you're basically fine. Probably more to worry about from on of Sydney's [URL="http://www.australiasevereweather.com/photography/photos/2007/1210jd03.jpg"]epic storms[/URL] than the plants or animals.

Don't know about maggies - of all the various animals that have attacked me over the years they're not on the list

[URL="http://youknowyouareaustralianwhen.tumblr.com/"]Another very useful[/URL] (or bewildering) guide to Australia.
    The biggest thing you have to watch out for up parramatta way is the locals, there was a chemical spill up the river a decade or so ago and its turned them all funny....or even funnier.

So yeah, in Australia, even Sydney harbour is trying to kill you.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    And you'd been convicted of a crime.
    Hey what me and that Shark did was are own business!

Also wouldn't that make it easier for me to get into aussy?
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Chapter-Master

Depends. If you're white you should be fine, if not you can expect to find yourself 'relocated' to new Papua New Guinea.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Depends. If you're white you should be fine, if not you can expect to find yourself 'relocated' to new Papua New Guinea.
    Well that was fun while it lasted......
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast