BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default 40k analysis: Judgmental players.

So I doubt many people will read this thread and even fewer will agree with me but over this marine pre release weekend I have noticed a rather darker side to the 40k community, now we should all be used to people airing their opinions on GW decisions such as price increases and hey everyone has their own opinion on that matter BUT I was not so used to having people openly judge other players based on their choices.

Now I don't get much time to check many 40k sites so for all I know this happens all the time, probably does to be honest, but as I began to read threads and blogs for the big boys in power armor I began to experience a large back lash from players due to one decision... that decision was that I chose to buy the LE Ultramarines codex.. I chose to buy this out of my opinion that the art work on the cover looks a lot more awesome then the standard codex. When I chose to post this opinion on other 40k based sites (No names will be mentioned) when asked about which codex I bought I found my self being barraged by people judging me simply because of answering this question. None of these internet voices asked why I chose said edition and instead chose to berate me both for forking out for an LE version of the book and naturally for choosing the ultramarine version, I am not new to the internet so I have experienced my own share of judgement and trolling but it does sadden me to see this so open and openly accepted in the 40k community... Maybe I am being to made of glass on this one but what are your opinions on this? Have you seen community members act out as *** hats judging to a point that gentle banter point? Should I just stop whining?

There are a lot of people who don't seem to understand that pricing is arbitrary and determined by what a company thinks they can sell something for, not some basic % over production costs. A lot of them also don't realise that taste is subjective, so what is worthless to them may be of value to someone else. Sadly when it comes to GW and a lot of the borderline hysteria over prices it results in an unpleasant attitude of condescension towards people who buy their products and particularly the limited edition stuff.

It's very nasty and regrettable.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

keep buying whatever you fancy Hexx, who cares what anyone else thinks? there is a lot of hate, especially marine hate, but they are just jealous you are enjoying something.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Eh, I'm buying all the LE's. (or at least on each book) because the presentation of the product is so much better. Its also helps that by waiting a month I can get them for the price of a regular codex in Australia.

Don't let people get you down, its your hobby!
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

hahaha I might just go do that my self, well don't like it don't play it's that simple, black and white. Nothing to complex here, and I like back story changes at first it feels weird but they always add so much new things I can do who cares

As for the OP, one can only assume there's a lot of 'only child' types out there in this hobby of ours. The type that cannot grasp there are opinions other than their own, and all are just as valid.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

I'm the only child of the emperor :P nar nar nar, we are all sons and daughters of our beloved father the lord emperor. I concur Mr. Mystery, and this makes me wonder is there a future for the hobby if we fight each other so much?

Battle-Brother

It does make me my self worry about the future of the hobby with such childish types, but then again I look at the amount of good sport players and collectors in the community and that makes me feel better. The amount of childish types to good types is starting to shift to the former though, but as long as there are still people who enjoy the hobby enough and are adults about opinions I will have hope for it.

I am loving the new sternguard, vanguard and tactical kits I honestly see my self getting many of them in the following months to build my new marine force.

I hate the hate... We are mostly grownups on here so enjoy the hobby for what it is.

This is not a school playground my 'football' team is not really any better than yours it just happens to be the one I fell in love with. Friendly ribbing and leg pulling go along with enjoying our differences but so many people still seem to think having a different opinion to their means your 'stupid' and 'don't get it'.

I feel your pain Hexx... Why can't we all just...get along?

Brother-Sergeant
    Catterick, North Yorkshire, and Birmingham

I completely feel for you Hexx, you earn your money, so you spend your money on what you like! Don't listen to what anybody says to you! People need to chill and stop taking this stuff so seriously!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast