BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant
    Germany, Baden Württemberg, Reutlingen/Tübingen

Default Centurions' Heraldry

The new space marine centurions have quite a lot of details. Now i'm used to the symbol of the ten pointed sun halo as imperial heraldry, also shown at the dev. centurions seargent. But is it just me or can we also find 8 pointed stars at various armour plates of the centurions? Since when is the 8 pointed star in any form associated with imperial belief?
    Is there any good explanation fluffwise?
    Or did i just see wrong?
    Interested in other opinions and views.

Brother-Captain

I honestly think that it is just a way to make it look even. They already have the Crux Terminatus for the terminator suits, so they wanted something similar but different for the Centurions. Ergo, we get whatever that is. Unless it says something specific about it in the codex entry for them, that its something like the Crux Terminatus, then it's just a case of stylistic license on the part of the modeler and not any fluff change/addition.

Really not much to get worked up about.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Captain

Also, a 12-pointed sunburst is the heraldry for the Nova Marines, a popular Ultramarines successor chapter -- so maybe they are trying to advertise that a bit more?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

It's an Iron Halo. Check Codex Space Marines (5th Ed), the Honour Badges section. One of the new Tactical Marine shoulderpads also has one on it.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    It's an Iron Halo. Check Codex Space Marines (5th Ed), the Honour Badges section. One of the new Tactical Marine shoulderpads also has one on it.
    You are correct sir! I completely forget to look at the beginning of the 5th Ed. codex, that I guess we missed quite a bit of lore. Funnily enough, quite a few Black Library books have the Iron Skull and the Imperial Laurel being switched -- the laurel signifying a sergeant and the skull signifying deeds of valour.

I suspect there'll be some explanation of all the markings in the new codex.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    I suspect there'll be some explanation of all the markings in the new codex.
    I just hope there isn't too much copy-pasting going on. Though from what I heard on 40K Radio, they did an excellent job.

In the latest White Dwarf, it says the new shoulder marking is called the Centurion Honour, which I can assume is similar to Terminator Honours. It also looks like they use the standard Devastator and Assault marine markings for other stuff. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by bladeofdeath3; 09-02-2013 at 05:04 PM.

The Centurions also have their own badge, I think on the right shoulderpad?