BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just a little quibble - that 6th Ed document was a legitimate leak, albeit one that was probably a very early playtest. The biggest proof of this being the few bits that came through to the final ruleset almost unscathed (Precision Shots come to mind), but you can also detect the same particular approach to game design being used, such as grafting new systems onto the old ones.
    That's evidence, but it's not proof. But then, it's up to us to decide for ourselves what we believe, isn't it?
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Right. The trick with rumours is to develop your own sense of what you believe and what you don't. Personally, I tend to be sceptical of stuff we hear a long way out from release; stuff which is a perennial rumour and a perennial no-show (Blood Bowl, plastic Thunderhawk - until I see otherwise, these things are on the same level of reality as my personal unicorn army); stuff which is coming from a single source which nobody else seems to have cottoned on to (man I'm so excited for the new Codex: Hrud!!!!); stuff which feels like community groupthink ("everyone else is getting a huge walker so therefore Space Marines must also"; this one turned out to be a misunderstanding of what the Centurions were); and finally, stuff which seems like a mishmash of drastic, uncharacteristic changes which people are curiously positive about (that bogus 6th ed "leak").

Not that any of the above means that the rumour is necessarily wrong. I'm just generally sceptical when it comes to rumours, the above are Warning Signs, as far as I'm concerned.

There's also a certain amount of "crossed wires" that occurs with these rumors as well. As far as the Space Marines go, there were rumors a few months ago on several websites that not only would Space Marines be getting a new suit of armor that was bigger than a Dreadnought (our spiffy new Centurions), they would also be getting an MC-type armor. That particular element of the rumor turned out to be slightly untrue - that particular unit was actually the Castellax from Forge World. There are several Forge World items that have been confused for mainstream 40k releases, such as the rumors of a specialized unit of Terminators for the Salamanders (to accompany a Codex Supplement) - those are actually a unit of proto-Hammernators for the Sallies in the Horus Heresy books.

Those aren't the only "crossed wires" that have occured, though. Going back a few years though, I remember several rumors that were basically correct, but assigned to the wrong army. Think back to before the Dice Like Thounder crew became The Eternal Warriors. There were several rumors reported on their show from a source calling himself "Fireman Guy." The rumors ended up being mostly accurate, although there were a couple of exceptions. When they were reporting Blood Angels rumors on the show, they mentioned a rumor of a "Winged Drop Pod" that was Armor 12 and could drop a squad off an then take off again. That was, quite obviously, the Stormraven Gunship. They also mentioned a new Honor Guard kit, which ended up being the Sanguinary Guard.

There was another rumor, though, that as a result of some fluff changes in the new BA codex they would be getting a new scout kit. The models in this new BA-specific Scout box were said to have a very "Mad Max" vibe to them - leather armor, bizarre weapons, weird gauntlets and hairstyles. There was also a rumor that their Techmarines would have strange-looking servitors "like mutated Ogryn" carrying unusual weaponry. Those models never showed up with the new Blood Angel kits... Now, go take a quick look at the Dark Eldar Wyches. Wouldn't you say those models have sort of a "Mad Max" vibe to them? Don't the Grotesques look like "mutated Orgyn with weird weapons"?

Speaking of the Dark Eldar, there were a lot of rumors from "Fireman Guy" about them as well. There was a rumor that they would have a piece of wargear that would allow them to drag a character out of a squad so they could be killed easier, which seemed too OP to most people, but turned out to be true. There were also rumors that they would have a "War of the Worlds"-style tripod that fired a heat-based "Death Ray". Neither of those things appeared for the Dark Eldar, but fast-forward a few months and the Necrons get a walker that looks suspiciously like a tripod (with more legs, though) that fires a "Heat Ray", and a Doom Scythe whose primary weapon is the "Death Ray"!

About a year or so ago, there was a rumor that Chaos were getting a dragon in their new codex. A lot of people said there was "no way" that was happening and that it must be a new dragon for Fantasy, or the model for Smaug from The Hobbit...

Oh, hai Heldrake!

The point to take away from all that is the rumor mill occasionally misidentifies things.

Brother-Sergeant

I also like how they rate Bigred and BoLS separately. I thought they were the same thing? and the Crimson hunter is a warrior aspect, so technically you're right about that too eldargal. so really, how accurate is the accuracy of the rumour monger compiler guy?
    40k: Yme-loc Eldar
    Fantasy: Ogres! lots of ogres!

Rumours are rumours.

Going back over the list from Dakka, I don't like how they've categorised things as 'false'. Inaccurate is the better word for it, as it gives benefit of doubt that something may have been misconstrued, rather than outright made up!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Rumours are rumours.

Going back over the list from Dakka, I don't like how they've categorised things as 'false'. Inaccurate is the better word for it, as it gives benefit of doubt that something may have been misconstrued, rather than outright made up!
    They also have "vague" but for the most part certain things deserve false, take thedarkgenerals chaos splurge.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Librarian

Take all rumors with a grain of salt as the general rule of thumb unless you've seen them for your self or they are coming directly from some one that you know is working on them as opposed to 3rd party intel. the rumors that come from a guy who has a friend who heard from a guy who was on the trolly is almost as good as that guy at the bar who's done everything....

Chaplain

Well first of all I'll point out that I stay well out of the rumours game these days.

The main reason being that they were just that, rumours but suddenly they started to be taken as fact and every rumour monger then felt obliged to prove themselves and their accuracy which isn't always possible but also took any fun out of it.

The Dakka thread is a comprehensive list but it's all taken way too literally.

As an example I heard that Chaos Legions would be getting their own books. This in fairness was assumed by everyone, including me that the new Dex would be Legion specific.

It turns out that what was being discussed was the FW Heresy books.

However we then got the Black Legion supplement, which hasn't been updated on the list.

But I do get it wrong, a lot of my Tau stuff was off and I think I rate about 50% too.

However I still believe a lot of my Nid stuff is correct, it just hasn't been released yet but again that gets me a red mark.

I do think there is a place for these kind of lists but what needs to be remembered is the fact that the design team can be 3-4 years ahead so if somebody hears something it might take a while.

But people like Ghost21 did spoil it a bit, but that shouldn't stop people posting.

I am lucky enough to visit GW HQ on a semi regular basis but I don't post up most of what I hear because the rumour game now often ends in a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Davo View Post
    I also like how they rate Bigred and BoLS separately. I thought they were the same thing? and the Crimson hunter is a warrior aspect, so technically you're right about that too eldargal. so really, how accurate is the accuracy of the rumour monger compiler guy?
    Good point, but all I was told and repeated was 'new Aspect(s)' so not sure I can really claim to have got it right on a technicality. Still if someone wants to point that out to a Dakka mod be my guest.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Fly Lord

In theory they could rate "bigred" and "bols" separately as we do put out rumors ourselves regularly in addition to the collated ones from elsewhere. But under that model the "bols" rating would just be a general rumorsphere barometer for everything from everywhere rolled together.

It would also be a colossal hassle to keep track of...

But in any case, anyone who still has rumor stuff and doesn't want to face the fiery flames of the masses personally, can just PM me and I'll get stuff out.

I don't even feel it anymore. I'm like a rumor-Avatar of Khaine: immune to flamer and melta
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

BTW BR the mystery box, LE squat army. Just saying...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast