BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40k Variants?

Chapter-Master

Default 40k Variants?

One of the things that keeps me coming back to Warhammer 40k is its variants. 40k is a big lovely mess of a game, and it supports so many kinds of play. Games that are technically better designed can't often do this, because they are so strongly about something.

Thus, I wanted to start a thread about 40k variants. Which ones have you played and which ones are you curious about? Which do you like the idea of, but think are broken, and how would you fix them. Let's go to town.

Personally, I have only played Cities of Death and Kill Team, but I am deeply curious about Planestrike and Spearhead. I'd also love to try Zone Mortalis. I'll write more later, but I don't want this to be a "listen to EP opine" thread, so I'll wait.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I have 3 sets of spacehulk tiles, and LOVE playing the boarding missions from IA. They totally change the meta and make the player really think.
    Some of the stuff in Battle missions is pretty cool too.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

We play a lot of daft games ie I'm playing on Thursday a 2000 pt, 4 named character, no flyers, no FOC Blood Angel’s vs Space Wolf battle. I love madness like that.

Zulu is another popular one of ours. Waves of Ork boys attacking a ring of defences made from 2 agies defence lines with a small building in the middle. Big force of basic guardsman with a few heavy bolters in the middle and see how long you can survive. Then you play it the other way around and the overall winner is the player who keeps his guardsman alive the longest! The only real rule is the ork commander has to shout 'Zulu' every time one of his squads of orks re-spawns!

Varity is the spice of life and if you enjoy the hobby as I do then the more random the better!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob821 View Post
    Zulu is another popular one of ours...
    I ran a D&D fight like this once, except that it was the characters trying to rescue hostages, and the orks were coming off one side of the board, rather than all around. I imagine that you could do this with almost any army defending - Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines - and a couple of others attacking. Tyranids would work well as attackers, too.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Years ago, when Warseer was still Portent, bunch of us came up with sub-aquatic rules.

Will see if I can remember owt about them.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I love apocalypse, I fancy trying Planetstrike and Spearhead, and city fight. I played an awesome game the other day where both armies had to go all infantry, for a massed wave style attack like the old heresy artwork - 2 extended lines advancing on each other firing.

Played 3 x 500 point games at our club the other night - that was a nice change.

I think a change can be sometimes as good as a rest - the variety of the battle missions book was good.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    I ran a D&D fight like this once, except that it was the characters trying to rescue hostages, and the orks were coming off one side of the board, rather than all around. I imagine that you could do this with almost any army defending - Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines - and a couple of others attacking. Tyranids would work well as attackers, too.
    It works well with all sorts! One of the best is Stern Guard defenders and Howling banshees attacking. You need a lots of Eldar to get there but one 'Your in' its game over pretty fast!

I'd love to do it with nids but don’t have the models. A nids vs guard would be really cinematic!

A long time ago GW put out this little packet called Boarding Actions, or something like that. It was like mini kill team. The board was incredibly small, and there were various rules for oddities that can only happen while fighting on a ship. It was fast and fun.

Battle-Brother

PLANET STRIKE is fun. You need to get into a different mindset. I think you could abandon the main game altogether for a while and just play PLANETSRIKE battles. You need a Fortress of Redemption some bastions and some Aegis defense lines. It is great if you already have about 3-5,000 points at least, to choose different armies to be attacker or defender. You should choose the missions then finds out who does what. You'd have two different armies to choose from, as each side has a different FOC to use. Just need to buy and paint the terrain. Or make it. You also have Strategic points to use for traps and various special advantages to chose from. The opportunity to create a dedicated army just for initial wave of Planetary Assault, used as part of an APOCALYPTIC campaign with CITIES OF DEATH. SPEARHEAD is different. It changes things quite a bit as well. Instead of the long edge of the table you deploy from the short edges. players can use standard FOC and include SPEARHEAD formations, basically more units. Mainly more vehicles but other units are included as well. The variations are fun. You could have years worth of fun finishing painting armies, never buying mores rules or units as no need to keep up with 'competitive' meta. These variations are more narrative driven, then the MAGIC TEH GATHERING approach many seem to want to be equally matched and that winning has anything to do with pure skill. It can also be just fun for the sake of fun, in the end much better suited for this then simple points match. That's what chess is for.

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    A long time ago GW put out this little packet called Boarding Actions, or something like that. It was like mini kill team. The board was incredibly small, and there were various rules for oddities that can only happen while fighting on a ship. It was fast and fun.
    Do you still have this wizardry? Preferably in PDF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast