BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Anybody else not happy with the Space Marine Captain model?

So with all the hype of the new Space Marines being released, I saw the Space Marine Captain model on the pre-orders.

Is it me, or does he look like the same one from the Assault on Black Reach Captain? The only difference is he has two different heads and is armed with a grav combi-bolter and he's $25.00.

So is that only option you can have as a Captain? Seems very limited as a model. The older Captain set had almost every possible build for only $20.

I think someone at GW got lazy on that design. Whay say you?
    On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

There's a thread on this already. If you actually compare the Black Reach captain and this one, you can see that almost every detail has changed and been improved upon. It's the same basic pose but an extensive resculpt. I think it costs too much, but it's a nice model.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Yeah that's a pretty weak release. Personally I took one of the original Masters of the Chapter released for Apocalypse and did some conversion work. I mean they are specifically Captain rank Marines with specific duties in the Chapter so the models are exactly what you need! Head and weapons swap and voila you have your own unique Captain!

Personally i don't like how the new model is way to similar to the black reach captain. Seriously look at the librarian they could not do something cool like that?
    Purge the Weak!

What do you mean, not happy with it? Did you buy it and don't think its a good enough model for the price or are you saying that a model that you don't have to buy when there are dozens of other options available is making you unhappy?

Battle-Brother

As long as you want a Captain with a power sword and a combi-grav gun, its perfect. Or, spend less on the more customizable Commander kit. Not sure that I like the new trend of plastic character models. Amazing detail, but way more money and no customization.

It's actually very different to the Black Reach model bar the pose. I really never fail to be amazed at how people can miss such obvious differences in models, I mean they aren't even wearing the same power armour and the decoration is completely different.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

it is a strange model, not sure why they recreated the pose. ordinarily I would say they changed details on the previous captain but too much of it is different. I would guess the old captain was a CAD file they then edited. still I would have thought a new pose would be a better choice, and be better received. for me personally £18 is a ridiculous idea for a single pose plastic model anyway, I would always build my own for half that and have something unique.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Yeah the pose could have been a bit more interesting. Apparently it is also compatible with the Space Marine range unlike most of the other mono-pose plastic characters. Still oddly expensive, I thought it was a mistake when I saw it.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Apparently it is also compatible with the Space Marine range unlike most of the other mono-pose plastic characters.
    Some parts appear to be, but others completely not. The sword arm could be swapped with any other, along with the head, but then they molded the combi-weapon right to the body. If they had kept that arm separate so that both arms, or at least the weapons, could be swapped, then it would be better. And the legs are molded to the cloak, making that part not as useful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast