BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

It's also not like GW invented the idea of the "prestige" book with nice colour art and a cover that'll actually last. I've got several coffee-table books from museum exhibits and the like, they cost pretty much the same amount, for the same kinds of production values.

I think your analysis is spot-on, YorkN.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Consider: why is the Forge World Horus Heresy: Betrayal book £70? That price is ****ing insane, completely and utterly ****ing insane, and anyone who claims otherwise is deluded. That book could be released in paperback with black and white art, or no art, and sold for less than £10. But it's not, because Forge World has positioned itself as being for "the collector"; that guy who will buy things at any price because they have made owning stuff part of their identity. "Oh, I could get the normal edition, but I'm a real fan, so I'll get the one that shows off how much a fan I am."
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but this is complete and utter bull.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Yep, I mean the artwork and production quality is really high
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I don't know though, I agree with nearly all you said but personally the high production value of the HH books make them worth it. Fifty pounds for a squad of SoB is something I can afford but wouldn't pay, just not worth it. I love SoB but I'd really question anyone who thinks fifty pounds for a basic ten person squad is acceptable.
    I was like, I'm going to buy this codex just so GW knows people want a new book and they might get a real update. And then I saw how absurdly overpriced everything was, and I'm like, ok GW, you win this time. No codex for me.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I don't know though, I agree with nearly all you said but personally the high production value of the HH books make them worth it. Fifty pounds for a squad of SoB is something I can afford but wouldn't pay, just not worth it. I love SoB but I'd really question anyone who thinks fifty pounds for a basic ten person squad is acceptable.
    Same age old problem with the Sisters for being shorted off to the point of now being the only army left in metal, where all other armies are now mainly finecast and plastic. For the price of one Sisters squad you could buy much more in any other army, and have bits left over. People don't buy them because they're too expensive, they're too expensive because they're all-metal, but they don't seem willing to give them a full update unless people buy them. There has been some suggestion that if the digital codex sells well they might make a hardback release of the codex at least.

A possibility might be to buy the codex but not the models. It's a little unorthodox, but it could be used to tell them "Hey, we like the Sisters, but the model range needs an update." Though I understand if you don't, it seems kinda pointless to buy a codex when you aren't even going to field an army. I preordered the codex anyway, though admittedly I already have an army to field.
    Last edited by Lancel; 10-12-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

I'm did the same thing. I preordered the codex because my philosophy is that if it shows there is enough interest in the army by people preordering and purchasing upon release then it should shake GW out of entropy to convert the metal to plastic/finecast. If we support the codex I believe GW will support the army a lot more.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but this is complete and utter bull.
    Why? Genuinely curious.

personally the high production value of the HH books make them worth it.
    Yep, I mean the artwork and production quality is really high
    I don't disagree. The point is: why is there no low production value option? Where's the cheap and cheerful, Penguin books-style paperback version?

Answer: there will never be one, because if there was, it would make Forge World look cheap and that doesn't fit their "Collectors Only" image. If anyone can buy their stuff, how can the collectors feel good about showing off the toys they just bought? That's how ostentatious goods work. They're not only about the good, their about the prestige the good provides. Forge World are all about projecting the image of luxury, of prestige. Hence instead of a compact, paperback book printed on light paper, we get a leatherbound, £70 monster that weighs damn near five kilos and is a pain in the arse to read. It physically hurts to hold the damn thing in your hand for more than an hour because of the heavy-grade paper, solid cover.

It's a completely ostentatious good, and is explicitly designed as such. Just like the Adepta Sororitas at the moment.

I imagine that the recent price doubling of already high prices which bring them into line with Forge World's is probably a consequence of Forge World's success; GW can price their stuff however they want, and it'll sell, and the higher the prices, the more it sells, not the less.

Ostentatious goods are weird like that.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 10-12-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Given the whole industry is essentially luxury goods I don't think that makes much sense. Not many people would be interested in a cheap crappy version of the FW books as quality is more than just the paper used.

The Adepta Soriotas release is stupid overpriced given no new known confirmed model support - £15 was my limit for it so I am not spending £25 on "support" for them. Screw GW it's their loss if they abandon a range, and I don't think the quality of the models lends them to being some kind of prestige army like FW stuff - they are okay but you'd just buy FW stuff instead, heck they should give the Sisters to FW to do!

I am always confused when people talk about hobby goods in the same terms as essentials - compared to model railways, photography - a whole host of hobbies - price gouging is relatively tame in wargaming!

Battle-Brother

Well they must of heard us and decided it was about time to show love our way. Having the rules and being fixed for 6th I'm glad of, hope there are a lot sold.
    as soon as I get it, I will go thru the amies first and see what has been thrown our way, hopefully models soon,
    " "Pain, torture and dismemberment. These are the finer things in life. Shall I show you?!" Succubus Morna Fateweaver of the Azure Death Cult

Chapter-Master

Said it before but I'll say it again. I don't think it would kill GW to release 1 plastic boxset that makes Sisters, Celestians, Dominions and Retributers. It's quite possible to make a box like that (see : Grey Knights PA kit) and would cover most of the Sisters infantry types in one kit making them far more viable for people.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast