BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default New Space Marine codex Orbital Bombardment question

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this question.

Imperial Dominatus just came out worth a HQ review, where they state the Chapter Master has to stay stationary to use the orbital bombardment, but other blogs have pointed out the chapter master can move and use the orbital bombardment, am I missing something here?

Veteran-Sergeant

Orbital Bombardment is ordnance, which means you can't move and fire it. Putting a CM in terminator armour or on a bike makes him relentless (which allows you to move without causing penalty to weapons), hence the workaround.

Veteran-Sergeant

the Rulebook says "A non vehicle model carrying an ordinance weapon cannot fire it in the shooting phase if he moved in the preceding movement phase"

in the marine codex it says "a Chapter Master may call down an orbital bombardment in his Shooting phase"

as i read it he (the chapter master) is not 'carrying' a piece of ordinance weaponry, and so he can move with the squad, call it down and then (as noted in the rules) charge the unit he just bombed.

thats my take on it anyway - someone convince me otherwise.

/k

Chapter-Master

Fluff doesn't matter. It's a weapon on his profile. As far as the rules are concerned, hes carrying it. You need terminator armor or a bike to move and shoot.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Fluff doesn't matter. It's a weapon on his profile. As far as the rules are concerned, hes carrying it. You need terminator armor or a bike to move and shoot.
    its not a weapon, its not in his wargear

its under "special ability"

so i hold fast to my belief

Chapter-Master

Regardless of whether something is a special ability or not, if you use something that has a weapon profile, you count as using a weapon unless it specifies otherwise.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Chapter-Master

He's fired a barrage weapon. That's the important part. It doesn't matter if he's carrying it or not, because that isn't some sort of keyword that gw consistently uses. Firing is a consistent keyword, however, so since he's firing it he suffers from the restrictions. There are several other orbital barrages in the game, and no one else gets to move and shoot them for free either.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 09-12-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

id like learn2eel to explain his post i guess it was his post [url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/09/40k-editorial-top-7-reasons-marine-are.html[/url] that made this thread get created - i played last edition that i had to stand still to use the barrage which was a bit of a waste and i still hope that i can move this edition - maybe we can get an faq... :P and it seems in the post he says that you can move and then do the orbital.... now im getting confused.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    He's fired a barrage weapon. That's the important part. It doesn't matter if he's carrying it or not, because that isn't some sort of keyword that gw consistently uses. Firing is a consistent keyword, however, so since he's firing it he suffers from the restrictions. There are several other orbital barrages in the game, and no one else gets to move and shoot them for free either.
    ^^^ This. Same goes for Eldar Corsair Prince, which has basically the same ability. I even verified the no moving and firing with Forgeworld. Until we see a FAQ from GW saying otherwise, an ordnance user can't move.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by krispy View Post
    id like learn2eel to explain his post i guess it was his post [url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/09/40k-editorial-top-7-reasons-marine-are.html[/url] that made this thread get created - i played last edition that i had to stand still to use the barrage which was a bit of a waste and i still hope that i can move this edition - maybe we can get an faq... :P and it seems in the post he says that you can move and then do the orbital.... now im getting confused.
    Because there are several ways to get relentless, which allows him to move and shoot. But you need relentless to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast