BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Who needs balance when you can have sales?

Ok so, i'm a little miffed, but i have to remind myself that this is only the first week, tactics and armies will change.

But from what i am looking at, as a csm player how am i supposed to react to a sm codex release that without a doubt is better in every way to my codex?

I cannot fathom how a year of separation between codex releases can be this lopsided. My only conclusion is that based on the codexs released so far, Gw has lost interest in keeping balance, they are more interested in driving sales through more elaborate and overpowered codexs, all meant to keep you buying the latest and greatest.

I'll probably come back and rant some more, but is anyone else feeling this way?

I know how you feel, it has felt like chaos has been the red headed step child of GW. Always there, always getting updated and revised, and then Space Marines come out and give them what we have been asking for about 7 years. Rules for our legions with out being over powered.

As a fellow CSM player I feel your pain, but Vanilla Marines didn't get that much new stuff, really (though they already had tons more toys than we did in the first place). Let's wait and see what our legion minidexes bring; I have a feeling we'll be much happier when our armies get fleshed out through supplements.

Librarian

I think a lot of this just depends on your perspective. I played Vanilla marines for a long time, and they were SO bad. I started playing Chaos more often and had a lot more success. Now...I don't know. The Vanilla Codex is definitely improved, but I have yet to play any games with them. We'll see. I just don't likethat Chaos is as bad as so many people suggest. It is a really characterful, fun Codex in my view. Maybe the people I play with aren't particularly competitive. The majority of them play CSM and seem happy with them. The really competitve folks in my area play Warmahordes.

Chapter-Master

I don't doubt that you see a genuine problem. I haven't read either codex yet. But for all that Games Workshop has a lot of problems, I really don't think that they actually go around making one army better than the others just to boost sales. It would be an incredibly dumb business practice. There's no accounting for taste, you see. Marines get a lot of flack for being the army of 14 year olds, but I've met kids who play Tau and Eldar and 'Nids and whatever.

Go ahead and be frustrated at GW's lack of balance... but I don't think it's supposed to drive sales. I think it's just the creators running up against the limits of their own creativity.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Librarian

I feel that all this csm whining maybe be isn't all that warranted, what I mean is people have been so focused on the drake plus cultist spam that, they haven't reviewed units as new codecii have come out? Consider the demon engines a mauler fiend has the speed and hitting power if I remember to easily deal with that pesky riptide in cover or the broadsides sat in the trees.

Librarian

As much as I despise the corporate aspects of GW Im simply more inclined to think that on this one it just wasn't that strong of a hit. I think its always tough being one of the earlier major races to get a new codex but at the same time I can only hope that GW can respond to any glaring issues with Updates and slight balances with new releases. Yes GW is kind of dropping the ball on CSM but at least its allowed itself enough of a system to help pick itself back up.

Daemon-Prince

Well if it makes you feel any better you can call spacemarine players pigs due to the new plastic helmet......
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Brother-Captain

My POV as a veteran Chaos Player is that the new codex is a fine improvement on the 5th edition one. It brings us closer to the 3rd ed book without reaching the cheese-beard heights that that book brought. True marines have some shiny stuff, but nuts to their shiny stuff. I still have cheaper power armored guys, monstrous creatures, more walkers (for my money the best vehicle type bar fliers), and can take an entire T5, Fearless, scoring army with defensive grenades AND poisoned CCWs. Marines can't do that.
    I know that we pay too much for a few things (like possessed and AA) but for the most part we're fine.
    The new marine book also seems fine, it's just the same crap that happens every release. The internet gets all excited about it, we read it and go "Wow!". The same voices scream "Codex Creep!" like parrots for the month building up to us actually SEEING a codex and we start to believe them, and then the book comes and things ain't as powerful, but we're still in the month ago mindset. And in a couple of months we'll be over it.
    Apart from that tiny, noisome, minority of us whose hobby is firmly lodged in tournament meta. They're not wrong, they have as much right to opine and play their way as anyone else. But they are not the 90 odd % of us who would never reach the top tables of a highly competitive tourney where their analysis is the difference between life and death.
    Just my thoughts.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Chapter-Master

the new marine codex is a superb book, but it isn't actually all that different to the old one. It is not going to cause sweeping changes to the way anybody plays.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast