BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Chapter-Master

Hehe, are you the Thousand Sons player DarkLink mentioned that lays the smack down on a lot of the local players, and those players think your army is OP? Even though I don't lose that often with my Thousand Sons, I have yet to have someone tell me something like that lol!
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Hehe, are you the Thousand Sons player DarkLink mentioned that lays the smack down on a lot of the local players, and those players think your army is OP? Even though I don't lose that often with my Thousand Sons, I have yet to have someone tell me something like that lol!
    I just sent you a PM, but yeah that's me. I've been playing Thousand Sons since the end of 4th Edition, and do pretty well with them. Unfortunately, due to my tournament successes, our local player group believes that Thousand Sons are a powerful army. I play mono-Tzeentch, and only really use a single Helldrake at 1750 and higher (and even then, it's usually an Autocannon).
    My blog: apocalypticbarrage.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    Can i just say the constant asking for legion rules is why forgeworld started the heresy series. CSM are no longer the legions, they are warbands, you can make legion lite armies but they wont be legions and thats good because the legions disbanded. Yes CSM could do with some changes but im sorry they won't be getting the legion rules like everyone wants because that is not their focus, they are now more interested in the gods and that is what is shown in the books.
    As I understand it this is not entirely true. The Word Bearers legion is pretty much intact. Plus if you read the Night Lord series, despite 10,000 having passed in real space, the traitor legions include a significant number of the same legionnaires that fought in the heresy. While the army structure may have changed somewhat, the basic chaos marine should be no worse that a forgeworld legionnaire and arguable better due to the extra combat experience.

My real issue is that I don't want to play with dinobots, if I buy a codex called Chaos Space Marines, then I want to play with Chaos Space Marines. As a result it should encourage builds around that basic troop it's named for, not the heldrake/cultist/obliterator spam that we tend to see in attempts at competitive builds.

Thematically and aesthetically my Night Lords are my favourite army but I've only used them once (this week in fact) in the last 2 years because coming up with a moderately good build is near impossible. And that was because I like the army and wanted to give them some table time, not because I thought they'd go well.

While I won the game on kill points against a largely foot guard army, I had less than 25% of my models left whilst my opponent had 2/3rds of his. If we had another turn I would have been tabled. While my opponent had a good army I certainly didn't consider it top tier.

Short story, unless you go for the generic spam build, which means you're not actually playing Chaos Space Marines, you just pay too many points for what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    CSM codex is a solid codex. People need to use more imagination in creating lists and make better tactical choices on the board.
    For fun beer and Pretzel games I agree with you. I can make a list against non competitive friends and win, with varying lists of my own (not all oblits and helldrakes). Sadly the NOVA results I saw say otherwise. CSM were destroyed pretty regularly with abysmal results. I tend to think that these players were somewhat competent tacticians, but I may be wrong.

if you do well with the CSM codex than good for you. Keep on kicking ***. For me, it will be pulled out on the rare occasion I want to feel "fluffy", and then Ill look forward to the Suppliments we have been promised to make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomidiot View Post
    I just sent you a PM, but yeah that's me. I've been playing Thousand Sons since the end of 4th Edition, and do pretty well with them. Unfortunately, due to my tournament successes, our local player group believes that Thousand Sons are a powerful army. I play mono-Tzeentch, and only really use a single Helldrake at 1750 and higher (and even then, it's usually an Autocannon).

I asked DarkLink a while back if he could convince you to write up a Thousand Sons tactica for those of us who play the legion. Any thought about that?

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    I asked DarkLink a while back if he could convince you to write up a Thousand Sons tactica for those of us who play the legion. Any thought about that?
    Hmm, I may do just that. I'll be seeing DarkLink tonight at our weekly game night, I'll see if I can get some pictures and maybe write something up this weekend. I know Reecius (from Frontline Gaming) has been bothering me to do something similar, hopefully it'll be helpful. Unfortunately, a lot of tactics with Thousand Sons tend to rely VERY strongly on what your opponent is running, so it could end up being quite a tome...
    My blog: apocalypticbarrage.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Reece from frontline was asking about that, too.

Edit: ninjad
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

There's just nothing like knowing your army inside out and knowing how to use it. Or so I hear; I'm a terrible player.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    There's just nothing like knowing your army inside out and knowing how to use it. Or so I hear; I'm a terrible player.
    Indeed. During 5th Edition, I made a local player quit (new) Grey Knights and denounce them as as unplayably weak* with my Tyranids (yes, Tyranids!) because I knew exactly how my army worked, and I knew exactly how *his* army worked, and I was countering his moves before he made them. Later on, he got more proficient, came back to GK, and things started to go more like how you'd expect GK-vs-Nids to go. In summation, if you know what your opponent needs to do; what he is going to use to do it; and what your army can do to disrupt it, you'll generally do quite well.

*except Draigowing, but in our local group, the Primogenitor-of-all-WAAC-Jerks had made Draigowing his signature, and my friend wasn't going to play the list, for fear of becoming tainted.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by MrBo View Post
    Ok so, i'm a little miffed, but i have to remind myself that this is only the first week, tactics and armies will change.

But from what i am looking at, as a csm player how am i supposed to react to a sm codex release that without a doubt is better in every way to my codex?

I cannot fathom how a year of separation between codex releases can be this lopsided. My only conclusion is that based on the codexs released so far, Gw has lost interest in keeping balance, they are more interested in driving sales through more elaborate and overpowered codexs, all meant to keep you buying the latest and greatest.

I'll probably come back and rant some more, but is anyone else feeling this way?
    Suck it up at least you don't have to deal with people spamming Draigo and thinking he is "fair" to play and totally under-powered...........(I play demon's and people always bring him just to be a dick...)
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112