BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It'd be interesting to know, and we may never, whose decision it was not to destroy the gene-seed. Was it Guilliman? Was it someone else - and why did they do it?
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

I've never noticed it in fluff before. I knew about guilliman. My understanding was that M41 Homeworlds kept sufficient stocks to rebuild their entire chapter - although without the progenoids of the fallen it would be a slow if not impossible process. Also, the Admech get x amount as a tithe for inspection pusposes. The question how entire traitor legions' stocks got to Ultramar when homeworlds were destroyed or translated to the Eye of Terror, is interesting.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

I thought the traitor gene stocks were stored on earth along with all the other gene see stores? I'm also not sure it is the entire legions seed, I read it as more just a sample of their geneseed.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

There's some confusion here.

It's not in Ultramar, it's on Terra. The Adeptus Terra maintains all stocks of gene-seed and conducts regular purity tests on existing Chapters. The latter are the samples. Their greatest asset is the original gene-stocks from the Founding Legions; what they don't let people know is that they kept the stocks from ALL the Founding Legions, when they probably weren't meant to.

The Mechanicus don't get a tithe, that's the Adeptus Terra, the Imperial Government.

It's all on Terra. Not Ultramar. Terra. Not Ultramar.

Chapter-Master

you don't have to repeat yourself you know, I'm not deaf...

Sorry, that came across meaner and less funny than I intended. Apologies!

Chapter-Master

NP. Incidentally I am away from home and will re-read my fluff on all things geneseed related, on return - how could I mistake Holy Terra for Ultramar pshaw!

Chapter-Master

I thought the reason it was sealed was that the Adeptus Terra are waiting for the Emperor to make the decision?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

You never know with the Adeptus Terra.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    It'd be interesting to know, and we may never, whose decision it was not to destroy the gene-seed. Was it Guilliman? Was it someone else - and why did they do it?
    Seeing as how Guilliman was the one who organized the gene-seed tithe system and the bank system of them, it would be safe to say that he was the one ultimately responsible for this choice. The logical answer? Because of the fact that it *is* gene-seed -- that most precious of genetic catalysts that is required to create a Space Marine. The reason for locking them down seems only natural in light of the Horus Heresy. Whose to say that the betrayal did not, in some manner, result from a defect in their gene-seed? I cite the Word Bearers Legion as an example, as in the book "First Heretic" is is speculated at various times by various characters who believe that the ardent loyalty for their primarch that each Word Bearer held was not just due to training or conditioning, but rather on the genetic level; a genetic impulse designed to make the Space Marine implanted with that particular gene seed more likely to obey and follow their particular primarch, even against the Emperor.

With that in mind it was only prudent that the traitor legion gene-seed be locked away, but not destroyed. At a later date it might be redeemed for use.

That's my $0.02 of speculation...
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast