BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Brother-Captain

Let's not forget that there are only four vehicles in the game that are "hard" to penetrate: Land Raiders and three Leman Russ variants that have AV11 on their butts. Every other vehicle can be easily popped by Assault Terminators without needing the Armuorbane USR.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    Let's not forget that there are only four vehicles in the game that are "hard" to penetrate: Land Raiders and three Leman Russ variants that have AV11 on their butts. Every other vehicle can be easily popped by Assault Terminators without needing the Armuorbane USR.
    + every Necron vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    And walkers, who use their front AV ...

Veteran-Sergeant

Maybe they are designed to kill tac squads... sorry am just trying to divine their true purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I still think people aren't really understanding the best use of Assault Centurions. They're a short-range shooting unit, who are pretty good in assault, not a dedicated assault unit. If they pick their targets well, there's relatively little that can frighten someone with a 2+ save that hits at initiative 4.
    But that is the problem. They are so short ranged, while being very expensive and fragile, with no way to get there outside of a very expensive transport. The number of times they would be better than something else in the codex is so small that unless you play a fluff army that includes them, or a different ruleset (zone mortalis, city fight, etc) you would be better served elsewhere in the codex.

Veteran-Sergeant

Ah, more of the 'they don't have an invulnerable save', I think there is a similar unit in another army with a 2+ save, 2W and not even a T5 but they do 'ok' heh heh. hhhmmmm, poor SM's need an invulnerable/Eternal Warrior hug? Eternal Warrior, I fah! on your Eternal Warrior. Some of us have been going to battle with multiple wound T3 no Eternal Warrior HQ's forever...SM's definitely need to grow a pair. But I don't have an invulnerable save or Eternal Warrior, how can I possibly go into CC without at least one of those?!?!?!? Cracking me up!

I also love the 'We'll just agree to disagree' and 'nuff said' Katharon...and yet you still can't resist can you? The Riptide just has an Invulnerable save, not more wounds than a squad of Tubbies...It's the little things, /shrug Some crazy tactics you've got there though, original for sure.

I can think of MC, Dreadnaughts with powerfists, and some Special Characters/IC with S5 and a PF/TH, but that's just a few, not a lot. That's just me though, rock on with 'a lot'. I would agree it's pretty easy to get a lot of S8 attacks in CC, not a lot of S10 ones though.

Poo poo them because of no invulnerable save and no eternal warrior, Poo poo the cost (both $/pt.). I think it's awesome, more for me I'm sure we'll have this discussion again in person though Dark. It's all good!
    Last edited by biffster666; 09-24-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegwymourn View Post
    fragile
    T 5, W 2, 2+ Save is fragile? Really? Unless your other army is an all-Storm-Shield Deathwing, I don't think this is fragile ...

with no way to get there outside of a very expensive transport
    Well, they do have feet. And don't say you can't walk a short range unit, because pretty much every unit in the Tyranid Codex disagrees.

The number of times they would be better than something else in the codex
    How many times have you played with Assault Centurions? Try playing them. Try playing a list built around them. Until you've given them a proper try, you can't discount them entirely.

Fragile for a Close Quarters troops. Sure 2+ w/T5 and 2W is nice for say a shooting unit or a mid-range unit. But one that has to get within 12" to be effective? You had better be able to survive against the worst your opponent can throw at you because that is awfully close. Any serious close combat unit will toast them. Any serious ranged unit will either double out the T or is ap2.

Sure they can move 6". But with S&P they cannot run, which makes them fairly slow. Most other units in a similar vein are only good because they also have at least 24" of shooting (dev centurions/paladins).

Did you just cross compare codecii? Sure things from Tyranids can walk, generally because there are a whole bunch of them and the whole army has fleet/psychic powers to allow it to do that.

I am not going to spend 190 base points for a unit that I have to "build a list around". I have listed all the units I think would be able to handle them quite easily which are regularly seen in competitive lists. If you are making a more fluffy/fun list go ahead and take them. But again they are not a good competitive choice because there are so many things that easily hard counter them from good competitive lists.

I like the assault variant more (the shooty ones are less efficient than devs I think) but they lack mobility, they can't pod or teleport which sucks. 200pts + a 250pt land raider or 200pt raven means that they aren't that viable.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910