BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Some substantive progress on the Thanatar to share. Shading is done, and all that remains is the layer and highlight stage. Couple paperclip joints to keep torso to legs and here we are:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150426_00_28_16_Pro.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	13828

I've got a name in mind for this fella, I think. Officially, I'm thinking SA-41.XX12, but the boys on the ground, they call him The Rainmaker.

I'll update when she's all done. Thanks for looking.

You vary your style up nicely to fit Mechanicum and Dark Angels - pretty versatile!

Alright, so the Thanatar is done, almost. I came to realize that if I wanted it done the way I truly wanted it, it would have to stay off the base until I got some practice in. Thus far, the extent of the basing for all my Dark Angels has been: 1. Apply glue to base. 2. Dip base in rocks/sand mixture. 3. Done!

This time however, I wanted the Mechanicum to fit in with my Realm of Battle Board, which is an Ice-World board. So I had to do something radically different, actually basing my models. (Dun-Dun-Dun!)

So I grabbed a Tech-Thrall, and without further ado:

Name:	WP_20150507_00_31_54_Pro.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	13982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150507_12_55_07_Pro.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	13983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150507_12_55_21_Pro.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	13984

So, part of me wishes that I'd put a little more effort into basing things in the past, as I love the look of this relative to the effort it took.

Basic breakdown was this:
    1. Apply glue to base with foot positions already established.
    2. Stick base in sand/rocks/bigger rocks mix, 2 parts sand for every 1 part rocks and .5 big rocks.
    3. Spray with Army Painter Grey.
    4. Overcoat with The Fang. (GW)
    5. Lightly spray over painted with Army Painter White.
    6. Cover edge of base with The Fang.
    7. Apply patches of glue to base.
    8. Dip in Citadel/Army Painter mix of snow flock/sand.

So now that this proof of concept worked really well, I'm going to paint up a couple of little terrain pieces, light pole and mechanical gubbins, for the Thanatar's far larger base and next update, FOR SURE, you'll see the completed Thanatar, and Throne of Man, it looks stellar in my display case already!

As always, thanks for taking a look!

Edit:
    I came up with a neat little painting guideline for my Mechanicum force, for all my Tech-Thralls, gold is off-limits. It's far too fancy to waste on the frontline fodder when there are other heat reflecting elements are available, so only coppers, irons, brasses and bronzes for the Tech-Thralls. Gold is to be used sparingly with my Thallax as well, limited to only icons or certain plugs. As you've already seen with the Magos, gold is liberally applied to wherever needed as the Magos requires. The Thanatar has a few gold elements, but it's mostly iron and red armour. Going to try and keep each Tech-Thrall and Thallax visually interesting by playing around with which elements are painted what, so you'll probably see armour pieces and weapons switch from bronze to copper to the red of the army theme.
    Last edited by interrogator_chaplain; 05-07-2015 at 11:12 AM.
    (Dark Angels 40K)Interrogator-Chaplain Ezrit's Dark Hunters: 5000 Points.
    (Mechanicum 30K)The Frontier Maniple of Archmagos-Gladius Daschiel Glass: 575 Points.

Ladies and Gentlemen. One of the biggest projects I've ever started has now been completed.

SA-41.XX12, The Rainmaker.

Name:	WP_20150509_21_58_00_Pro.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	13993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150509_21_58_26_Pro.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	13994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150509_21_59_02_Pro.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	13995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150509_21_59_33_Pro.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	13996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150509_21_59_52_Pro.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	13997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150509_22_00_48_Pro.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	13998

Such an astonishingly awesome model to work with. I almost dived into OSL for the inside portion of the plasma mortar, but will tackle on another project. (Can easily see myself getting another one of these.)

For some reason this model feels like more of an accomplishment than my Knight, even though that was a far more difficult technical challenge. For some reason, this beauty captures my heart and it just looks fantastic. Really quite happy with it.

One problem was the ammo hoppers, I didn't check the reference material, and accidentally stuck the ammo feeders into the shell ejectors. Whoops. Still, it taught me quite a lot about repositioning Forge World resin with hot water and the heat gun.

I'm also pumped about the base, in that it actually looks like I put in an effort! Which I did! My Dark Angels may not get the same love, but going forward, all other armies will be getting the full base treatment.

In all, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Over yesterday and today, I also worked on a Callidus Assassin from the Assassinorum: Execution Force game, and used it today in a game, and while it could've gone better (She got insta-gibbed from an overwatching Meltagun on her first charge.) I'm quite happy with how she turned out! (Is turning out, just letting the shade dry on the rock pillar, then it'll just be a simple drybrush.)

Name:	WP_20150510_00_08_05_Pro.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	13999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150510_00_08_21_Pro.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	14000

She's only slightly glued on to the base, so I'll take her off tomorrow and give the base the full monty. So by next week, somebody will certainly feel the kiss of Agent Vivian Faulkner's Phase Blade.

Time to update the to-do list!!
    ( "What have I gotten myself into?" Painting list update:
    Primus (With immediate effect):
    - Arch-Magos and Abeyant
    - Thunderhawk Tile
    - 10 Tech-Thralls with Laslocks 1/10
    - 5 Deathwing Knights 3/5
    - 1 Thanatar Class Seige Automata

The next project isn't on this list however, and it's also a huge project! I'll be painting up my Plasma Obliterator tower for my Dark Angels, which is an exciting task, because giant building plasma cannon! The model itself looks to be really not the best quality, so I think I may be busting out the greenstuff for this one.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, they're always appreciated.

And as always, thanks for taking a look!
    (Mechanicum 30K)The Frontier Maniple of Archmagos-Gladius Daschiel Glass: 575 Points.

In between waiting for the brushes I need for my Plasma Obliterator, I decided to finish off my Deathwing Knights, whose squad name henceforth will be known as The Nephilim Reborn.

Name:	WP_20150520_19_38_07_Pro.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	14309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150520_19_38_17_Pro.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	14310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150527_18_59_42_Pro.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	14311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150527_18_59_52_Pro.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	14312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150527_19_01_59_Refocus 1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	14313

Glad to finish another project, which makes 3 this year! Documenting the progress is really making it work out well.

Also, big news for me is that I'll be taking the Angels down to Miniwargaming in late June to take on Miniwargamer Dave in their Warzone Apothis campaign! I've pledged to get the Plasma Obliterator done by then for the big internet screen debut! But the more exciting news is that, if the current release schedule holds water, I'll be able to do it with a brand new codex!! I MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE! Stay tuned and as always, thanks for taking a look!

Time to update the to-do list!!
    - Arch-Magos and Abeyant
    - Plasma Obliterator
    - Thunderhawk Tile
    - 5 Deathwing Knights 5/5!!!

After a month and a bit of hard work and a little trial and error on Object Source Lighting, I've finished my Plasma Obliterator, The Roar of Heroes.

Name:	PlasmaObliterator1.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	14781 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlasmaObliterator2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	14782 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlasmaObliterator3.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	14783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlasmaObliterator4.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	14784 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlasmaObliterator5.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	14785

It was a lot of fun to do, but this kit is just awful to put together. If the main structure doesn't fit together "Just" right, the wall panels won't fit right, as is the case here. It doesn't fit flush, and while it doesn't look bad from a distance, it wouldn't hold up under close scrutiny. I got desperate though, I'm going to Miniwargaming next Monday and I'm really excited, but also have to get a Marine with a Multi-Melta done and base a whole bunch of guys too.

But this was my first attempt at Object Source Lighting, I think it worked out well, but what do you all think?

Next project on the block, I'll probably tackle a few more of my Tech-Thralls or go for my currently unassembled Dark Talon, since the new codex makes that thing amazing!

Either way, thanks for taking a look and let's update that to-do list!!:

- Arch-Magos and Abeyant
    - Plasma Obliterator
    - Thunderhawk Tile
    - 5 Deathwing Knights 5/5!!!

Chapter-Master

looks excellent, good job
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by interrogator_chaplain View Post
    It was a lot of fun to do, but this kit is just awful to put together. If the main structure doesn't fit together "Just" right, the wall panels won't fit right, as is the case here. It doesn't fit flush, and while it doesn't look bad from a distance, it wouldn't hold up under close scrutiny.
    It is a horrible, horrible design. I eventually decided it was easier to Orkify mine than to greenstuff and neaten all the gaps. You've done enough turd polishing that it would look pretty good from across a four-foot table, I think.

Brother-Captain

Yeah the Obliterator is a pretty horrid model to put together, I ended up using spare bits of sprue to bridge some gaps in the deck plating together as try as I might it just would not go together snugly. Still it does look nice when painted up. Here's mine that I did for the Imperial Fists:

Name:	PLO01.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	14796

Looks even better atop the Aquila Strongpoint base.

Name:	PLOS01.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	14797
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

It really does look great on that Strongpoint, was mulling a purchase between that and a Fortress of Redemption. This has not made the decision easier...

Good work on yours!

ETA: Just saw that this bad boy got me my third thread feature on the Facebook page, thanks Bigred!
    Last edited by interrogator_chaplain; 06-24-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast