BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Best way to add Grav to my army

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 grav cannon centurions

20 32.79%
  • 3 man bike squad 2 grav guns and a combi grav

4 6.56%
  • 5 man bike squad 2 grav guns and a combi grav (troop)

24 39.34%
  • Forget grav just use plasma

10 16.39%
  • Other ( explain in post )

3 4.92%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Your answer is in your own thread Mr Mystery, however perhaps your strategy is still viable. If you deploy your drop pod as close as possible to rip tide and disembark in a line at max coherency around it eg X (o, {where X is droppod, ( is a line of sternguard, o is riptide} then not only would he only be able to get 5/10 of them at a time but he's going to be hitting himself, plus if it does scatter even a few inches he'll only get a few models.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think they're all good ways to use Grav, but I'm going to jump on Mr. Mystery's 'zone of death' bandwagon for an easy excuse to say Kneel before ZoD!

I couldn't resist

Command squad with bikes all armed with GravGuns! Worked great so far for me.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Obispal View Post
    5xSternguard with 3x combo grav and 2x grav guns in a drop pod, 1st turn arrival
    Who've moved, and only get 2 shots at 9" instead of 3 at 18. Grav guns are not very good on non-relentless models.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
    Who promptly get pancaked by that Riptide they're going after dropping an Interceptor S8 AP2 pieplate on their heads before they get to shoot it. Point being if that's your target that's a very risky delivery method.
    Maybe if he's dumb enough to clump up and let everyone get hit by the template. And the Riptide won't get markerlight support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Except the Sternguard never actually arrive from reserve. The Drop Pod does.

Sternguard then pile out of the Drop Pod once it's deployed. At no point do the Sternguard enter separately from Reserve. Just from the Drop Pod.

Hmmm. Need to go over me rulebook when I get in!
    Yes, they did arrive from reserve. They can be shot.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

I second the command squad option as the best bet, so long as they're on bikes.

It gives 15 grav shots for as little as 210 points on a much more mobile platform. They are less durable than Centurions but can be made almost as durable with some of the upgrades available to them. They do lack the grav amp but I think their flexibility makes up for that.

Obviously your particular chapter tactics need to be factored into the equation as well, certain capter tactics will favor the centurions while others favor the bikes.
    Also the Centurions will be a scoring unit in 1 out of 6 games which might tip it back in their favor but I'm a long time White Scars player so there's only one choice for me.

Chapter-Master

The command squad gets an Apothecary, too, so if you use a Shield Master to tank you're ridiculously durable.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

but taking an apothecary loses you a grav gun or am i misreading the codex?

Chapter-Master

Yeah, but it's probably worth it. I'd rather have 4 grav guns for 3-5 turns than to have 5 Grav guns for 2 turns. Grav guns aren't the only reason Command Squads are threatening. You also have the option to assault with the CM, which makes the unit a lot more flexible. That way it's still useful against stuff that isn't afraid of grav guns, and still useful once you've killed everything that grav guns are good against. And you can still take a combi-grav on the CM.

Yes, an apothecary equals -1 Grav Gun, but probably lets you get more use out of the other 4 in the long run.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

command squad has access to the ranged weapon lists and the melee weapon lists. I didn't see if it had access to the special weapon list.

ranged weapon list only allows you to take combi gravs so it is expensive for a one shot unit if that's the case.

TL: DR you cant take grav guns on command squads only combi gravs.

*Edit FAQed* they can now all take special weapons
    Last edited by krittoris; 09-24-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast