BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

Default Star Trek

Continuing on from the Feminism thread.

[URL="http://trek.fm/captains-log/2011/11/25/captain-janeway-and-the-ever-morphing-hairdo.html"]See Janeways many hairstyles[/URL] and despair.

Growing up I adored Star Trek for the strong female role models it gave me. Uhura, Dax, Crusher, Troi, Janeway, Kira and especially Seven of Nine. 7of9 was particularly important as I'd never had a blonde, attractive intelligent role model before, certainly not one who didn't do all the stereotypical smiling, nurturing nonsense expected of women.
    Last edited by eldargal; 05-29-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I have only seen the original series personally, and most of the films.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

First-Captain

Deanna Troi was my first teenage fantasy crush.
    Just saying.

Tasks Yar. Now she's my kind of woman!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

I liked storm, jean grey, and psylocke, simply because they was drawn so well.

I just wanted to point out this new uhura is supposed to be playing one of my favorite comic book characters Gamora. I really, really would like to see her in that role. Got to love her orgininal outfit which you could argue that even though she had a suit cover most of her body, it was skin tight with showing skin where it counts, she was basically naked.

Gammora was cool since she was supposed to be the greatest assassin in the universe due to Thanos which trained and augmented her and when she died she was augmented again by Adam Warlock.

She should also play the new storm instead of the old actor.

I think the best part of the movie was when the klington told her we don't care about humans and grabbed her throat is was sooo exiting, and erotic I wanted that scene to continue on.

First-Captain

Ummmm..... O_O

Occuli Imperator

To re-quote me:

"To begin with.

I think in terms of femal characters DS9 is the most interesting one, though that is probably because it started being a soap opera in space almost.

You have Keira who is the female equivalent of TOS Kirk, bold daring, shoot first ask questions later
    Dax (or Jadzia at least) is female equivalent of TOS Spock, logical and thoughtful.

Neither of them are particularly feminine IMO, the most is the Dr. Bashir."

Troi irritated me, less so once she was allowed trousers. Unfortunately alot of the time she was left looking worried and saying "I sense a disturbance in the force"
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Iron Father

I always had a thing for lady Klingons. I don't think it was the crinkle cut foreheads though.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Fly Lord

Really, 7 of 9?

I thought 36 of D and those heels and catsuit they put her in threw back the role of women in Star Trek by leaps and bounds.

Now all the others were great and lets not forget the unrepentant and political Ensign Ro.

Eldargal I'd be interested in your take on BSG's Starbuck and Admiral Cain? The show was certainly trying to push boundaries with both of them.
    Last edited by Bigred; 05-29-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

The first costume was awful but they got better. Seven of Nine, for me, made it not only possible but desirable to be blonde, tall, attractive AND intelligent/academic, I can't think of another television or film character that said that to me (Buffy to some extent, just not the tall and academic). I can understand why some people don't like her (and as I said some of her costumes were horrid) but I actually think she was a very feminist character in spite of that.

Ensign Ro was great, never cared for the Marquis but she was a very impressive and strong female character.

I've actually not seen enough of BSG to say. I saw the first couple of episodes of the revamped series and I keep meaning ot watch the rest but I keep being distracted by things. I did like that they gender swapped Starbuck, very brave. I have friends who watched it and were quite uncomfortable with some not so feminist things in the show but I don't know what they were and they still loved it.

Edit: I do think VOY went a bit 7of9 heavy towards the end though though there were some great stories too.
    Last edited by eldargal; 05-29-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast