BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Drop pod assault and multiple detachments

Here's something I was thinking of today. Drop pod assault states that in your force half your drop pods arrive from reserve in turn 1. But my question is-is that per detachment or for the army as a whole? Case in point-let's say I have my White Scars on the field and have 2 drop pods. 1 of them will come in on turn 1, the other later from reserve. But let's say I'm only fielding 1 drop pod and also have an allied detachment of Utramarines and they have 1 drop pod. Do they come in as 1 on turn 1, then roll later for reserves or is it resolved as Primary Detachment-half drop pods (in this case 1) then Allied Detachment-half drop pods (in this case, the other 1) meaning both would come in on turn 1? I don't recall seeing an FAQ about this but I've also been busy as hell the last couple of weeks.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

I would say since the rule specifies "all your drop pods" in the drop pod assault special rule it wouldn't matter what part of your army they were from. You count how many drop pods you have and half (rounding up) come in. The other half enter per the normal reserves rules.

Please bear in mind I do not have a BRB in front of me, but if I remember correctly each detachment is considered a separate army from a rules stand point and that there should be no rules interaction between the 2 armies. If this is the case then I would say that you half each detachment's drop pods to determine how many drop. A little math will show us that this will only make a difference in numbers where half would be an odd number. For instance:

Normal
    1 DP * .5 = .5 rounded up to 1, 1 DP on first turn.
    2 DP * .5 = 1 no rounding, 1 DP on first turn.
    3 DP * .5 = 1.5 rounded up to 2, 2 DP on first turn.
    6 DP * .5 = 3 no rounding, 3 DP first turn.

2 Detachments
    1 DP each = 1 DP * .5 = .5 rounded up to 1. Do this twice, gives you 2 DPs on first turn.
    2 DP each = 2 DP * .5 = 1 no rounding. Do this twice, gives you 2 DPs on first turn.
    3 DP each = 3 DP * .5 = 1.5 rounded up to 2. Do this twice, gives you 4 DPs on first turn.

The only numbers I find this makes any difference is at 1 DP, 3 DPs, and 5 DPs in each detachment. Other wise the numbers come out the same as if you only took 1 detachment. All of this still rides on the fact that I'm remembering rules correctly. If I'm not, please let me know.

Chapter-Master

It is all the drop pods at once.

When the game begins, the only thing that matters rules specific to detachments.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

I also think that Drop Pod Assault makes no distinction among detachments. It is true that sometimes the rules care about who came from which detachment, but there's no general principle that you treat your various detachment as separate armies (quite the opposite). We only treat detachments as separate from each other when the rules specifically say to.