BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Jungle or wastes?

Hi all. I'm looking for some advise to help me pick a direction

I really want to get back into fantasy so i've been mulling over what army I think will be best for me. I've narrowed it down to 2 armies, warriors of chaos or lizardmen purely on cool factor. However, this has left me a little stuck. I cannot decide between them and this has been going on awhile lol.

So I decided to leave it down to what army I think ill enjoy playing more which (finally) leads me onto my question.

What are the generally pros/cons and play style of either army?

Thanks!

Chapter-Master

You've plumped on two armies that have fairly similar pros and cons. Both have rock hard infantry, some decent cheap expendable troops, nothing much in the way of missile capability and some smushy monsters with good magic. Lizards are superior in the field of magic and have more cool monsters, WoC have super hard cav. Lizards aren't as well armoured and will hit after pretty much everything else in the game, but are more likely to stay in the fight due to the cold blooded rule and are slightly cheaper per model (I think). Personally, if those two are your choices I'd say go with whichever aesthetic appeals to you more.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    You've plumped on two armies that have fairly similar pros and cons. Both have rock hard infantry, some decent cheap expendable troops, nothing much in the way of missile capability and some smushy monsters with good magic. Lizards are superior in the field of magic and have more cool monsters, WoC have super hard cav. Lizards aren't as well armoured and will hit after pretty much everything else in the game, but are more likely to stay in the fight due to the cold blooded rule and are slightly cheaper per model (I think). Personally, if those two are your choices I'd say go with whichever aesthetic appeals to you more.
    Thanks for the breakdown of points. Its helped

Thing is my conflict occurs because I can't choose between them on looks/coolness/fluff/painting etc. For example, I once again convinced myself that the lizards we're the one for me, but them saw a battle report with WoC and switched back.

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure

Even considered collecting both but definitely decided against that. I can't remember ever been this turn lol. I need to find something to tip the balance.

Battle-Brother

Thanks for the breakdown of points. Its helped

Thing is my conflict occurs because I can't choose between them on looks/coolness/fluff/painting etc. For example, I once again convinced myself that the lizards we're the one for me, but them saw a battle report with WoC and switched back.

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure

Even considered collecting both but definitely decided against that. I can't remember ever been this torn lol. I need to find something to tip the balance.

Chapter-Master

I'm guessing the good or bad thing won't be a decider for you then. Hmm. Perhaps painting? You are going to have more models in a Lizardmen army and I gather they get very repetitive, but you have much more choice in terms of colour schemes, whereas WoC is largely painting armour. Buy a couple of units of each and get some small games in before you fully commit? Toss a coin? Not sure what else to suggest really.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Battle-Brother

I'm guessing the good or bad thing won't be a decider for you then. Hmm. Perhaps painting? You are going to have more models in a Lizardmen army and I gather they get very repetitive, but you have much more choice in terms of colour schemes, whereas WoC is largely painting armour. Buy a couple of units of each and get some small games in before you fully commit? Toss a coin? Not sure what else to suggest really.
    It might come down to tossing a coin. Who's more competitive?

Chapter-Master

Hard to say really. Lizards haven't been out very long to judge, but all the 8th ed army books are pretty well balanced against each other (with the exception of Tomb Kings), so it isn't like one army is noticeably more powerful than the other.

Battle-Brother

Hard to say really. Lizards haven't been out very long to judge, but all the 8th ed army books are pretty well balanced against each other (with the exception of Tomb Kings), so it isn't like one army is noticeably more powerful than the other.
    Which is more popular? Always prefer a underdog

Veteran-Sergeant

heh, once again there is little to separate the two in that category. At least from what I see.

When it comes down to it I think the one thing the WoC book has over the Lizardmen book is the variety of army builds you can produce. You can field hordes of cheap(ish) pretty nasty infantry blocks. Hordes of hard hitting death infantry blocks. Monster Mash lists are easy to build. Fast, in your face, style armies that can be all cavalry or a mix of cavalry and others. A super magic heavy list. pretty much any type of list the WoC book can produce.

That might be a big deciding factor.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by novatomato View Post
    heh, once again there is little to separate the two in that category. At least from what I see.

When it comes down to it I think the one thing the WoC book has over the Lizardmen book is the variety of army builds you can produce. You can field hordes of cheap(ish) pretty nasty infantry blocks. Hordes of hard hitting death infantry blocks. Monster Mash lists are easy to build. Fast, in your face, style armies that can be all cavalry or a mix of cavalry and others. A super magic heavy list. pretty much any type of list the WoC book can produce.

That might be a big deciding factor.
    I like that their are less lizard armies but its appealing to know you can make any type of warrior list.

Coin toss it is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast